Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sex Education Guild

Back to Guilds

Know your body, love your body, be safe, be healthy, be wise. 

Tags: Sex Ed, Birth Control, LGBT, STDs, Pregnancy 

Reply Sex Education Main Forum
Cleaning toys?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crazy Ironside

Blessed Gawker

5,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:01 pm
So I ended up vibrators a while ago, but is there a certain way to clean them? I heard I should be cleaning them  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:13 pm
Yeah, you gotta clean them, otherwise you're gonna have... yourself encrusted on it.

And what type you have determines how you can clean it. Most common ones you have to clean with a moist cloth and a bit of soap, and hand dry.  

soren_alenko

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100

LorienLlewellyn
Captain

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:30 am
Soren is right. You should be cleaning your toys. Exactly how you clean them depends on what they're made of. Some are just meant to be rinsed, some are meant to be washed with soap, some are dishwasher safe, and some can be boiled.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:21 pm
Always clean your toys after use, or before next use if you're extremely lazy. While toys made of silicone and possibly others are nonporous and won't collect bacteria, for sanitary purposes, this is highly recommended. Water alone doesn't cut it.

A cursory web search revealed a number of articles... Here's one I'll reference:
- nearly everything but rubber/jelly can be easily cleaned with either sex-toy cleaner or soap and water. For this type of toy, just ensure that there is no sex-toy cleaner left on the toy, or it may degrade.
- You probably don't have specialized toys like cyberskin, but if you do, that too should be cleaned with soap and water, and a light layer of cornstarch (O_o?) added after (don't ask me why)
- Plastic, acrylic, glass, steel, pyrex or silicone toys can be cleaned with either sex-toy cleaner or soap and water.

You should also know the types of lube to be using with a given toy of a certain material. Typically, you're good with using any sort, but with silicone, you shouldn't use silicone based lube, or it will degrade the toy, which isn't fun since they are so expensive... and well, you may end up with microscopic amounts of silicone lingering inside you.

Also of note, don't leave jelly toys against other jelly toys or in extreme heat. They will melt.  

esoteric conception

Crazy Ironside

Blessed Gawker

5,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:33 am
Submission Control
Always clean your toys after use, or before next use if you're extremely lazy. While toys made of silicone and possibly others are nonporous and won't collect bacteria, for sanitary purposes, this is highly recommended. Water alone doesn't cut it.

A cursory web search revealed a number of articles... Here's one I'll reference:
- nearly everything but rubber/jelly can be easily cleaned with either sex-toy cleaner or soap and water. For this type of toy, just ensure that there is no sex-toy cleaner left on the toy, or it may degrade.
- You probably don't have specialized toys like cyberskin, but if you do, that too should be cleaned with soap and water, and a light layer of cornstarch (O_o?) added after (don't ask me why)
- Plastic, acrylic, glass, steel, pyrex or silicone toys can be cleaned with either sex-toy cleaner or soap and water.

You should also know the types of lube to be using with a given toy of a certain material. Typically, you're good with using any sort, but with silicone, you shouldn't use silicone based lube, or it will degrade the toy, which isn't fun since they are so expensive... and well, you may end up with microscopic amounts of silicone lingering inside you.

Also of note, don't leave jelly toys against other jelly toys or in extreme heat. They will melt.

Thank you, this was really helpful. I normally don't use lube though. One of my vibrators is like jelly and the other one is plastic I think  
Sex Education Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games