Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:36 pm
User Image

Ebha was in a foul mood and it was only made worse by the chill and aches that had plagued her since she had been discovered far too close to this cursed pride. She had only been officially joined for a few days so far and symptoms of the plague of the pride appeared almost immediately, now she knew she was stuck and had to come to terms with what had happened to her.

She'd done enough socializing to know the general story of the Kitwana'antara now but she hadn't really seen it. So she had been wandering around more today, trying to take it all in.. but she eventually gave up, mentally and physically tired, and sat in the middle of a path, staring off into the distance thoughtfully. She retraced her steps as far back as she could but there was no getting around this being her fault for not noticing when she was stepping into a strange pride's territory.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:51 pm
User Image

The longer he lived in the Kitwana'antara, the more Nagua realized that the pride's inhabitants weren't that much different from the ones he'd known in the swamp. There were the people who were happy every day, the people who were unhappy, the people who would claw you at the slightest provocation, the people who wouldn't shut up about how horrible that nasty habit of clawing others was...etc.

True, some of those personality positions were filled by nonlions, which was still a bit disconcerting, but the more time he spent among them, the more accustomed he became. It was still a bit weird to the teal lion, but he wasn't going to argue with what was obviously a long established fact.

He still shuddered whenever he thought about where hybrids came from, but as long as he didn't do that in front of said creatures, there shouldn't be any repurcussions. Shouldn't. He wasn't sure what the Master Warrior would say if she knew he still had those kinds of thoughts...and wasn't sure he wanted to know what she'd say.

The young Scout was returning to the pride after a patrol and looked up to see something...very intensely maroon. Someone, rather, for that was no bush! It was, in fact, a lioness. A rather attractive one, if rather bright. Not to mention someone he'd never seen before...

"Hi there!" the words slipped out of the male's mouth without thought and before he could stop them.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:01 pm
Despite her intense stare, Ebha didn't see Nagua coming and was startled out of her speculation by his greeting. And yet, as if by reflex, she returned his greeting without a second's hesitation.

"Hello."

His bright colors and strange pattern demanded a double-take, though. After taking a couple seconds to take it all in, she found that she was actually smiling. He was bright and colorful, which seemed almost out of place.. and somehow he seemed just right for where he was. It was a very odd assessment she quickly settled on not over-thinking.

"You're a very bright fellow," she commented, "What's your name?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:06 pm
A wave of relief swept through him as the lioness replied to his thoughtless greeting. Then she looked up and smiled and Nagua felt his own lips stretching in return. At least she didn't seem to think he was an idiot thus far!

"I'm Nagua," he introduced himself in response to her question. "But look who's talking! You're not so dull yourself," the teal lion pointed out with a grin. Hadn't he just been observing how brightly intense her own coloration was? He knew about his own, of course, but he didn't exactly look in the water hole to see himself that often. Or ever. That was for lions who were looking to impress someone. Or leopards. Or cheetahs. Or wild dogs...  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:19 pm
She smiled again, forgetting about her bad mood. Of course she'd been talking to plenty of other lions around here already, but usually they had stayed on rather depressing topics and useful information that would help her in her new home. This felt almost normal.

"Thank you," she said, decidedly taking it as a compliment, "It's the yellow, you know. Without it, my fur wouldn't be so shocking and I have brothers to prove it."

Not that she could show them off around here, but at least she couldn't before either since they had all gone separate ways. She hoped never to see her brothers or sister again now. Her bright expression wavered but she pushed past it.

"My name is Ebha," she said, "Pleased to meet you, Nagua."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:27 pm
Nagua laughed as she mentioned brothers. He knew exactly how that went, having not only two brothers, but also three sisters to boot.

"That's true, and I know exactly what you mean! I have brothers and sisters too, though you wouldn't believe we were related just looking at coloration," he admitted. "But my brother Zerrin has the same markings as I do, so we look sort of alike." The teal lion explained all of this cheerfully, avoiding mentioning the weird looks he and his mother had gotten when he was young, the ones that wordlessly said "and where did he come from?"

"It's great to meet you, Ebha," Nagua replied at last. And it was. For the first time, he'd met someone in the Kitwana (he was assuming that she was a pride member if she was here) with whom he could really...be himself. And not have to spare a thought for disease and plague and sickness. He hadn't realized how much he'd missed normal conversation until now.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:41 pm
"My brother Gairnéad is the best example of the effect that the yellow has, he is a bit darker than me but he doesn't have any yellow on him. He has white instead," she explained, thinking about her brother, "Still bright but not in the same way as some of us."

The fact that Nagua used the past tense talking about his brother suggested they were in similar situations, though it crossed her mind that perhaps they had simply passed away already. It was preferable to think they had something more in common than their bright fur.

"What do you do around here, Nagua?" she asked, suddenly curious about the occupation of this new friend, "I haven't met much of anything but healers and the lot that work with them so far."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:49 pm
The teal lion frowned a bit in concentration as he tried to imagine a lion - a male - with Ebha's colors, except white instead of yellow. He got lost somewhere around trying to imagine a male Ebha, which was weird enough to make him want to stop right then and there.

"I can't picture it," he confessed aloud. He supposed from the way that the lioness didn't offer to introduce him, that Gairnéad wasn't to be found in or near the Kitwana'antara. Since he'd been here for several moons and not seen anyone with colors that bright, regardless of yellows or whites, he was pretty sure that the unimaginable brother simply didn't belong to the pride. Probably for the best...

"Oh! I'm a Scout," the lion answered, realizing he'd been asked a direct question. "Since I'm not originally from the pride, and haven't shown any signs of being diseased yet, it makes sense for me to range further out than most," Nagua explained. He was kind of disappointed in himself for bringing the disease into this wonderful conversation, but on the other hand, it allowed him to tell her that he was not suffering from it in any way...always a good thing in this pride.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:57 pm
Scout. She was sure someone had described their purpose to her somewhere in the flurry of lessons she'd been given over the last few days but they didn't stand out quite as much as some of the other more depressing sounding jobs. She couldn't help but frown when he mentioned the disease, her body suddenly aching as if reminded it was sick- but then that he said he was affected really sunk in and she felt surprisingly glad.

"That sounds interesting," she said, "I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but I've only been here a little while."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:01 pm
The male grinned sheepishly, embarrassed that he'd made her frown. "I guessed as much, I mean, I've been here for several moons now, and I'm pretty sure I'd remember meeting someone like you before." Nagua realized that that line sounded pretty...well, pretty bad. "I mean, someone with your coloration! It's, uh, very distinctive. And bright."

It was a good thing that blushes didn't show well on fur, especially anything darker than white.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:15 pm
Ebha didn't seem nearly as embarrassed as Nagua, making no effort to hide a giggle. His stammering steered the conversation back away from depressing talk of disease, though there probably weren't very many places to go from there.

"It's good to know that I stand out," she said, decidedly not someone who wanted to stay in the background, despite whatever sourness came from feeling trapped here, "And that I won't be running into any surprise twins or something."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:18 pm
The lion laughed hesitantly as Ebha giggled. It was nice that he'd made her laugh, but he hadn't really meant to, and he was still embarrassed and confused and not very good at this...

"Oh, you do stand out!" he babbled. "In a good way, of course, why would you stand out in a bad way..." Nagua trailed off, trying to keep his cool and failing miserably. It didn't help that he was so confused by her last words.

"Twins?" he asked after hopelessly pondering the words for a few long moments.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:28 pm
She smiled at him, managing to bite back another laugh this time since it only seemed to make him more flustered as he tried to keep up the conversation with her. As much fun as Ebha was having being distracted from the harsh reality of the pride she now had to call home, she could sense that the time was coming to end their conversation before awkwardness overtook the pleasantness.

"I guess doppelganger would be a more appropriate word," she said with a grin, "I like standing out, if I wanted to blend into a crowd I would have stayed at home with my family."

Not that her family would have stayed with her.

"I should probably go check in with the healers again," she said, pushing herself to her feet, "I don't expect I've done much to prove I'm not a flight risk- or getting sick."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:32 pm
"Dop-pel-gan-ger," Nagua sounded out the unfamiliar word. It sounded like nothing he'd ever heard before, but that didn't make it a bad thing. "What's it mean?" He was also the last person to understand what it was like to blend in a crowd so he tactfully (or confusedly) ignored that remark.

"Oh, I guess so," the lion replied when Ebha mentioned returning to the Healers. Those sorts of things did tend to take priority in this pride, and he had no reason to argue with it. "I don't suppose you need any help finding the way," he fumbled. It sounded like the lioness had been here long enough to know where she was going, which meant he couldn't justifiably offer to help her get around.

Oh well. That was just his luck.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:00 pm
"I think I can manage" she said brightly, dedicated to her plan to leave him wanting more before either could mess up the delightful interaction they'd had and purposefully ignoring his confusion over her words, "I'm sure I'll see you around though, Nagua. Have a nice afternoon."

She winked and then headed off in the direction she had come from, feeling much better than when she had begun today's little adventure. She hoped it wouldn't be too long before she saw him again, she was very interested to see if he managed to be more eloquent when that happened.

[IC] Kitwana'antara Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff