[PRP] Where do we stand?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:21 am
Yavin had been absent since the death of his father, Thoth. Absent and silent: both of which were unusual for the male who liked nothing more than to flaunt himself and his status about the pride.

The boy - now adult - had never been particularly close to his family, but he still loved them. Still respected them. Especially his father. And now...and now his mother was gone, too. It was almost too hard to bare, especially for a male not quite in-tune with what he was feeling.

Truth be told, Yavin wasn't even sure where he stood anymore, or how he felt. Anger. Grief. Fear. They had all mixed up inside of him - with a mash of other emotions - until he could barely tell one from the other.

Still, he could be found if one knew where to look, and that day he was by his favorite curve in the stream, reclined on the bank, mostly obscured by overgrown foliage. His prolonged presence had kept the rabbits away and their lack of grazing had certainly taken its toll on the area.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 am
User Image

Lailah hadn't been paying attention to most things of late, lost in a fog of confusion, anger, regret and more emotions. Today she wasn't even paying attention to where she was going, never realizing where the familiar steps were taking her.

She wasn't so out of it that she didn't notice Yavin's familiar form standing near the stream. They hadn't really spoken since the quarrel. She'd thought about it, repeatedly, but had never managed to muster the courage or had refused to bend in her pride. The reasoning had varied from one day to another.

Still, since she'd found him, she should talk to him. Especially given the deaths of his parents, his sister and brother-in-law.

"I'm sorry," she offered quietly.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:42 am
It felt like he had not seen her in so very long. Hadn't they been fighting or something? His ears twisted back into his mane and he almost looked away--almost.

He forced himself to keep his eyes on her, though. Her eyes were pale gold like sand under the touch of the sun. Soothing instead of glaring.

"Aren't we all," he replied, trying not to sound too bitter. "I wonder who's going to be next."

Then he looked away, casting his sight out across the water. "Where are you going?"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:45 am
"If you believe what Shangyue says, no one else will be dying any time soon," the white lioness replied dryly. She wasn't so certain that she trusted the Heir, but she hoped he was correct in that respect. Well, she was definitely more willing to trust Shangyue than that black lion that had been following him around.

She came closer as she spoke, until she was standing nearly shoulder to shoulder with the lion. "I wasn't going anywhere in particular," she answered at last. "What about you?"  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:50 am
Trust? Yavin couldn't trust him. Wouldn't. He could play the part of obedient little follower, certainly, but that was only for his own benefit. What was the saying? Keep your friends close but your enemies closer?

He wasn't a particularly violent or vengeful sort, but if anything, being faced with unexpected mortality had made him realise how fragile life was. He wasn't done living yet and he certainly was not going to get his life shortened because he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

He gave a snort in response, maybe wary of speaking his thoughts out loud in case the trees had gained ears.

"I was...just going to stay here."

And then, after a long moment, he turned to look up at her. "I'm sorry. For...for arguing with you before."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:54 am
Lailah took that to mean that Yavin was staying in the pride, in the Mwezi'Johari, instead of fleeing the way certain other lions seemed to be considering. It reassured and relieved her of a fear that she hadn't even realized she'd been carrying. She herself had always known she'd stay, but had begun to think longingly about what it would be like if she left. Yavin's words firmed her resolve.

She turned to face the lion as he apologized. Scanning his face, she could see nothing that was insincere or sarcastic.

"I'm sorry too," she admitted, surprised to find that it was simply the truth. "For overreacting and...everything else," the lioness added.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:06 am
"Seems ridiculous in the grand scheme of things, does it not?" And he rose up onto his paws, feeling weary and shaky and not quite himself. With a small shake, he stepped out to sit on the overgrown crop of grass and looked over his shoulder at her.

"Shangyue will be king," he proclaimed, keeping his tone carefully neutral. He intended to go to the coronation and make himself known. He supposed he had been hiding away too long. Grief could explain it for only so long. Soon, his absence might be noted.

"I suppose I ought to show my face at his crowning."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:34 pm
"It certainly does," Lailah admitted with a small smile. Even so, the expression didn't quite reach her eyes. It was amusing that their quarrel had been so miniaturized in the face of what the pride was going through, but she hated that such a massive upheval was necessary to put things into perspective.

"You're right, on both counts," she replied. "I should go too." Not that she really wanted to, but what choice did they have? Those Royal Guards...she wasn't entirely certain what it was they were to do, and Shangyue had already shown he was willing to force his way to the throne. What more would he be willing to do?

"What...do you think of your nephew?" the lioness asked carefully.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:54 am
"We can meet there and stick together. Might make things easier." He wasn't sure whether anything would make this easier. Still, a king forged in blood was certain to be overthrown in blood, too.

Truth be told, it was his allies that most worried Yavin. The slaves. He wrinkled his snout and exhaled sharply. If any of those lower-class lions dared try to turn claw on him--

"He is courageous, I'll give him that." Courageous. Gutsy. Stupid. Surely Shangyue had to have more enemies than friends - even if those enemies were too afraid to speak out at this particular moment. Yavin's eyes flicked around warily and with a faint nod, he gave Lailah a look that she hoped would translate to:

We'll talk later; when it's safe.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:00 am
"I'd like that," the lioness replied with a more genuine smile for his offer to spend time together. Maybe...maybe in the past she'd been too harsh on him. Maybe there was something to the idea of spending time with him. Shame that things were so chaotic at the moment.

"Yes, he is...bold," Lailah obseved more neutrally as Yavin answered her question. She nodded in return, acknowledging that the other lion did not think it was safe to be completely honest at this moment. She hadn't considered that there might be others watching them, but had to admit that his fear was viable.

"Until the coronation then?"  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:07 am
At least, he thought, things were better between them now. At least they were talking. He had missed her - though he likely wouldn't ever admit it - and was glad she had passed by.

Standing and stretching, he gave a confirming nod. "Until the coronation." His mouth quirked. "Take care."

And he wondered whether she might yet be in danger. She was Stellaluna's apprentice, after all. Surely they were all being assessed. Watched. Stalked. A shudder ran the length of his spine, though he tried his best to shake it off. Then, with a little more energy, he splashed through the stream and moved off through the trees, trying to keep his wits about him. He dared not say too much.

Paranoia, it seemed, was an easy trait to fall into.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:10 am
"You as well," Lailah told her companion before she turned to leave. If they were being watched, perhaps she didn't want to spend too much time with him just yet. Which was, of course, exactly what she wanted to do, but had been too prideful and foolish to see until now.

Well, she would be able to see him on the night of the full moon. It was several days away, and already she could hardly wait.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces