Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Resources
Contacting Gaia FAQ Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:15 pm
User Image
Click the big banner above to go directly to the Gaia Help center.

As a Site Moderator, I got asked some of the same questions for which the answer is a little tricky to find. The following posts are found in the Help Center, but since I have a hard time finding my way around there sometimes, I thought this might be helpful...

If you have a question or need help, please PM me.

Navigation:

1. Welcome! You are Here.
2. Reports
3. Abuse/Harassment
4. Scammed!
5. Hacked!
6. Why was I banned?
7. I have new information about my ban.
8. My Account Log-In is Locked!
9. Can I PM a moderator or admin?
10. I have another problem about which I need to contact Gaia Admin directly.
11. Gaia Staff
12. Live Chat

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 pm
Post 2: Reports

emotion_bigheart Moderators really value your reports when you see something wrong on Gaia. It helps them see things they may well miss otherwise, since there are only a few of them compared to thousands and thousands of users. Reports also preserve whatever you're reporting in posts or chats so they can see the problem even if the poster edits their post or the chat closes.

talk2hand Don't tell someone you are reporting them.

Telling someone you are reporting them is considered threatening and therefore abusive, and we do not tolerate abuse on Gaia. If you see someone posting the wrong thing or in the wrong place, you can privately PM them a polite reminder if you think it's just an honest mistake, or just report them. We'll take care of the rest as soon as we get to your report.

If someone is posting something you don't like, the most effective reaction is to pretend they didn't say anything at all. There is also the Ignore function which makes it even easier to do that because then you can't see what they are posting anyway. They are also prevented from sending you PMs or friend requests or posting in any of your threads. Search Gaia Help for "Ignore" for more details.

sweatdrop I've been reported! Will I get banned?

Not the first time unless it's for doing something really awful like asking another person for their account password or pretending to be Gaia staff or trying to scam someone or buying/selling Gaia gold or Gaia cash for off-site stuff (accounts/items on other websites, real money, sexually explicit material, etc.) or posting malicious links that download viruses etc.

All reports are carefully investigated so if you don't do that stuff, you won't be banned even if you make a mistake. We usually issue a warning first, but eventually if you keep breaking the rules you will be banned.

The best way to stay out of trouble is to read Gaia ToS and Rules as well as the Stickies of whatever forums in which you post, and obey those rules and guidelines. Never give out your password or "log in" to a site that isn't Gaia. Feel free to PM me or any other moderator if you are unsure of something.  

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:20 pm
Post 3: Abuse and Harassment

If any of the following situations (or combination of situations) applies to your experience, you may want to file an Abuse/Harassment report:

sad You are continuing to receive abusive messages or comments, or continue to have abusive comments posted in the forums about your person, after you have asked the user or group of users making the comments to stop the behavior.

sad You have received a message, comment, or have in any way been contacted by another member of Gaia and the abuser has made threats against your person or your Gaia account.

sad A user or group of users continues to contact you on Gaia after you have asked them to stop contacting you, and you have put him/her/them on your ignore list. This includes being contacted by the abuser on a secondary (or mule) account.

emotion_bigheart Use this form to report abuse or harassment you have experienced: Abuse/Harassment Report Form  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 pm
Post 4: Scammed!

Scammed is when you've been tricked into giving gold or items or work to someone without getting what was agreed in return. If this has happened to you (or if someone tried to scam you, even though you didn't fall for it), please file a scamming report using this form: Scam Report. Tips for filling out a good report:

Describe the situation
Please make sure to describe to us how you were scammed. It's important for us to understand what happened to you, but do remember that while we ask of you to be detailed, we also appreciate if the information is concise.

Evidence
To ensure accuracy of our investigations as well as speeding up the process, proof of the scam is helpful to us.

Links to conversations and/or agreements
Providing a link to where you and the scammer made the agreement, helps us understand the case. Do try to link to the page of the conversation instead of a link to the first post of a thread with hundreds of pages. If it was in a comment in a profile, link to the profile comments.

- NOTE: If it was a PM, do note that we cannot access a user's private inbox. You can either provide a screenshot or use the "Report PM" feature and then add the Report ID in additional notes in the report.

Screenshot
Provide screenshots of a conversation from PMs or maybe Flash environments - such as Towns, Fishing, etc. - if available (and applicable!).

Trade titles
This is more of a pre-scam tip, but: It always help if you note in the trade titles what your agreement is. For example, if you are lending a ORLY Hat for 5000 gold and to be returned in 2 weeks, enter "2 weeks loan of ORLY Hat for 5k".

Additional Notes
If you have any additional information to provide that can be useful for us in investigating your scamming case, please provide them. This could be link to other related threads, guilds, etc. In a case of an art scam for example, it would be good to see the samples that was shown to you and the result of your order.

Correct usernames
Make sure that the username you enter in the report is accurate. If it's the wrong username, it may make us investigate the wrong account and slow the process down as we track which account it actually was.

I was hacked, scammed, or otherwise compromised! How long before my problem is solved?

We understand your eagerness to get your account back. If you've filed a report about your account, it is in our database awaiting review. It may take a while for our staff to reach your particular report in the queue, but rest assured that they are working as quickly as they can. Thank you for your patience.  

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:34 pm
Post 5: Hacked!

Hacked is when someone has gained access to your account, usually by tricking you into giving them your password. This is often followed by them changing the password so you can't log back into it and changing the e-mail so you can't use that to regain control of it.

If you think you've been hacked and still have access to you account, change your password through the account preferences page. Once you've done that then you should logout from Gaia (this will forcibly kick anyone on your account at that time).

If you can't get back into your account, you need to make another account here on Gaia to report it. Friends can't report it, we need to be directly in contact with the original owner of the account. Then you can file a hacking report using this form: Hacking Report.

I was hacked, scammed, or otherwise compromised! How long before my problem is solved?

We understand your eagerness to get your account back. If you've filed a report about your account, it is in our database awaiting review. It may take a while for our staff to reach your particular report in the queue, but rest assured that they are working as quickly as they can. Thank you for your patience.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:42 pm
Post 6: Why was I banned?

We hate banning accounts, but sometimes it’s necessary for the good of the overall Gaia community. We want everyone to have a fun, safe time on Gaia. When we have to, accounts on Gaia are banned for two main reasons:

1) Engaging in behavior that violates Gaia's Terms of Service and/or Rules and Guidelines
2) As a preventative measure to protect the account if there is evidence it has been compromised by someone else (there was unauthorized access into an account)

Bannings for Terms of Service Violations:
Account bans occur when an account has been found to be engaging in on-site behavior that is in violation of Gaia's Terms of Service. When you join Gaia, you agree not to break the rules of the site. The Terms of Service and the Rules and Guidelines are there to help keep Gaia a safe and fun place for all members. When there is hard proof that you engaged in behavior on the site that violates these rules, your account will most probably be banned.

The length of ban depends on both the severity of the offense and if the violation has occurred more than once and you have been previously warned about engaging in such behavior. If a violation is serious enough (e.g., hacking, scamming, phishing, etc.) then the account will receive an immediate permanent ban. In all cases of banning, the user is sent an email with a warning detailing the offense, and how it violates the Terms of Service so he/she can know what behavior was inappropriate. Again, bans are not placed without hard evidence of the infraction; bans are not based on hearsay.

Banning to Prevent Malicious Misuse
The other main reason an account might be banned is as a preventative measure. If we believe that your account may have been compromised, we will place a ban on the account temporarily to prevent any possible intruder from having further access to the account. Such a ban is placed not as a punitive action, but as a preventative measure only. Imagine if your account was compromised, and the intruder used it to post inappropriate images or send phishing links to other members of the Gaia community and do irreparable damage to your reputation. In such a case, banning your account not only stops this from happening, but helps to keep your user reputation in good standing. We can recover lost gold or items, but we cannot recover your account's reputation on site!
If you have additional details about your account ban situation, please see the next post.  

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:54 pm
Post 7: I have new information about my ban

If you wish to have your account ban reviewed, you are certainly welcome to file a request (ticket) through our Ticket System to have the ban re-investigated by our Account Integrity Team.

Before you file a request to have your account ban reviewed, however, you should know that only those cases in which the user can provide additional information and verifiable proof not originally known at the time the ban was placed will be actively re-investigated. Requests that do not meet this criteria cannot be responded to – sorry.

The proof required to re-open a banned account investigation needs to be compelling and provide additional detailed information that can be verified by staff members if necessary. Proof does NOT include such things as:

ninja Vague and un-provable statements of personal innocence (e.g. “It was not me, I swear!” or “My cousin got on my account and hacked people, not me!,” etc.)

ninja Statements made by friends, relatives, or other members of Gaia not directly involved in the incident, and who do not have access to the account.

ninja Making claims that someone said or did something to your account, but failing to substantiate these claims with copies of private messages, chat transcripts, etc.

If you do decide that the information you have regarding your account is valid and verifiable, and you wish to have your ban reviewed, then please file a Help Center ticket using the following steps:

Ticket Steps
  1. Login to Gaia Online using an active, unbanned account. Create a secondary account to do so if necessary.

2. Click on the Contact Us link on the bottom of any Gaia page. Once at this page, scroll down until you see the section titled "Still can't find your answer?" and click on the link that says Click Here. Clicking this link will redirect you to the Help Center ticketing system.

3. Once in the ticketing system, please file a ticket on behalf of your banned account. Select General Account Inquiry from the drop-down menu, then select Account Bans as the topic of the inquiry, and then select the appropriate sub-topic that most reflects your banned account situation.

4. Fill in all required report fields and click the Submit button to submit your report. Once we receive your inquiry and investigate your ban, our team that handles account inquiry tickets will respond to you and provide you information about why your account was banned.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:55 pm
Post 8: My Account Log-In is Locked!

Accounts that have remained inactive for 2 years or more are locked to prevent hackers from using them. If you need help reactiving an account, just follow the steps below:

1. Copy the following link and paste it into notepad or another word doc for the time being. In other words, don't erase it!: https://www.gaiaonline.com/supportal/login/?task=ticket

2. In order to file a ticket, you'll need to do so from a secondary account. You may use an existing account you own, or may create a new Gaia account to file the ticket. Once you are on your secondary account, paste the link you previously copied into your browser to open a ticket.

3. Once on the ticket page, choose the following options from the drop-down menus:
- For Subject, choose General Account Inquiry
- For Topics, choose 6 Month Reactivation
- Fill out ALL the form fields in the ticket then click "Finish" to submit your ticket. Once it comes up in our queue, a customer service representative will process your ticket and help you get your account reinstated!  

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:03 pm
Post 9: Can I PM a moderator or admin if I have a problem?

While I don't mind PMs, it depends on the problem you have. If you have been scammed or hacked the problem will be better handled through the reporting system. The same is true if someone's post or PM is inappropriate because the act of reporting saves what they said just then, so they can't even edit it later to deny it.

If you have a simple question you haven't been able to find the answer to elsewhere, please do feel free to PM me any time. I'll answer as best I can, but there are areas I don't know very well:

For bugs or glitches on Gaia (why didn't this work?) you may find a better response in the Bug Report & Technical Support forum.

For technical issues (my computer is ....) you may find a more helpful response in the Computers & Technology forum.

If you are checking on a report or need other help, please do not PM a bunch of moderators. We are all busy trying to help people, and asking the same question multiple times does not help get a faster answer. You can find moderators listed along with an indication if they are online or not by which forum(s) they moderate. For instance, I moderate the Exchange forum, and you can find me on the list of moderators here. You can find any forum's moderators by clicking "View Forum Moderators" at the top of the page, under the name of the forum.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:08 pm
Post 10: I have another problem I need to talk directly to Gaia administration about (billing, account status, etc.)

You can file a ticket that lets you submit your question right to the Gaia Admins (Customer Support Team). You can then track the status of your ticket in the My Tickets tab.

Use this link to get directly to it: Ticket System.

Use this link to get directly to it: [url=https://gaiaonlinehelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us][u][b]Ticket System[/b][/u][/url].

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:09 pm
Post 11: Gaia Staff: updated as of 6-18-19

Moderators and Forum Assistants are here to help you on Gaia. Each class of staff listed below have colored names and specific titles to represent the different tasks they perform. Please use the appropriate form of contact to have your concern addressed most quickly and efficiently. If you see a thread or post that is in violation of the Terms of Service or Rules & Guidelines, please use the Report Topic or Report Post links to report it in the individual thread. Each name below is linked to PMing them.

NOTE: All staff on Gaia have colored names and a specific title under their username specifying their role on Gaia. Anyone without a title underneath their username is NOT an official of Gaia in any way!

Forum Assistants
Forum Assistants move threads only in specific forums they are assigned to. Forum Assistants DO NOT assist users with Terms of Service violations.

Akari Yui - Forum Assistant for The Gaia Exchange
A r u r u - Forum Assistant for The Gaia Exchange
HyruleanHero - Forum Assistant for Bug Reports, Site Questions
Khrate - Forum Assistant for Gaia Community Discussion, Site Feedback, The Gaia Exchange
Meighei - Forum Assistant for Gaia Community Discussion, Welcome
Pink Peppercorn - Forum Assistant for Bug Reports
Pugnacious Banana - Forum Assistant for The Gaia Exchange
RandomKate - Forum Assistant for Gaia Community Discussion
Toriki-chi - Forum Assistant for The Gaia Exchange, Welcome
Vannequin - Forum Assistant for Gaia Community Discussion, Site Feedback
Moderators
Site Moderators are responsible for specific forums on the site, as listed above, and handle Terms of Service Violations and thread move requests. These moderators also cover Gaia games, chat rooms, towns, and other features of Gaia.

aaleeyyee - Site Moderator for Chatterbox, Gaia Community Discussion, Site Feedback
cannele - Site Moderator for Chatterbox, Gaia Community Discussion
Chocobo Princess - Site Moderator for Welcome
Dragondude3 - Site Moderator for Chatterbox, The Gaia Exchange
lmpetigo - Site Moderator for Chatterbox, Gaia Community Discussion, Site Feedback, Site Questions, The Gaia Exchange, Welcome
mephiee - Site Moderator for The Gaia Exchange
Meiriana - Site Moderator for Chatterbox, General Discussion, Site Feedback
Zzyli - Site Moderator for Chatterbox, Site Questions

Global Moderators are responsible for Abuse and Harassment cases, as well as help oversee Terms of Service violations across the entire site. Global Moderators may have other special functions that are specific to a particular role.

If you need to report an Abuse or Harassment case, please use the Report Abuse/Harassment form instead of PMing a Moderator.

Casrial - Global Moderator

Omni Moderators are responsible primarily for account issues, hacking and scamming cases, as well as special projects related to account security and site safety.

If you need to report a Hacking or Scamming case, please use the Report a Hacking or Report a Scamming forms instead of PMing a Moderator.

Elindranyth - Omni Moderator
idleRAT - Omni Moderator
Admins and other staff
Admins are responsible primarily for high-level administrative tasks, billing issues, and overseeing Gaia moderation staff.

Lanzer - Admin Lead
Gaidin - Admin
Valenas - Admin

Artists, Developers and other staff are many other people who work hard to make Gaia awesome by creating new features and new art, items and much more for you every day! These people have brown names and may post around the site but will not be able to help with Terms of Service violations please contact Gaia Moderators and Administrators for assistance.

it amy - Gaia Staff
Jak Bauer - Gaia Staff
Riyokuma - Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:11 pm
Post 12: Live Chat!

A Live Agent will be able to help you with ONLY certain issues:

• Billing Questions: Grants may take a short period to be placed in your account. Please wait up to an hour to see if they appear before Chatting/Creating a ticket.
  • Secondary Authentication: Removing/disabling secondary authentication from your account when you are unable to do so yourself.
  • Regaining Access to your account: Resetting/replacing forgotten passwords. This does not include ban appeals. For those please fill out a General Inquiry ticket and choose Ban Appeal as the subject.
  • Closing your account (Gaia does not delete accounts. Asking for a closure means your account will be banned so it can not be accessed until/unless you return)

Live Chat hours currently are Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm PST. If the feature proves popular enough we will expand the days/times Live Chat is available and the issues they can help with!

Currently the link to Live Chat will be found in the Help Center at the bottom of the page.  

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:12 pm
Reserved  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:12 pm
Link to this thread

User Image

[URL=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=23939419][img][img]http://i.imgur.com/VTxxVnJ.png[/img][/img][/URL]

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points