User ImageUser Image"Ugh, I met the stupidest boy earlier today," Naaja complained to her best friend, Lyti, who nodded sympathetically.

"There are a lot of stupid boys in this pride," Lyti agreed in such a way that she seemed to be confiding some secret as opposed to voicing an oft-aired complaint. "You're going to have to be more specific."

Naaja rolled her eyes, but she could see Lyti's point. The fact that she'd only just met this stupid boy didn't mean much. Both Naaja and Lyti lived fairly sheltered lives because of who their parents were. Lyti's family were all outlanders from a pride that kept its females cloistered and protected, treating them like valuable property. Naaja's father was the warlord of the pride. Both of them tended to be more than a little coddled.

The pair of freeborn were basking in the weak sunlight on the beach. Their dark coats held the minimal heat better, keeping them warm enough in the salt spray as long as they didn't actually submerge themselves in the water. It was safe enough, since they were located a good distance from where any outlanders might wander seeking a reaver to challenge to an askorun.

Even if they were somehow surprised by a wayward would-be warrior, there was always Burzum. He was honor-bound to protect Naaja, at least, from any physical threat or danger, and neither lioness believed he would not extend that protection to Lyti should the situation demand it. In this they may have been overestimating the adolescent's goodwill toward Lyti, but neither girl was foolish enough to actually ask. Some things it was better not to know. After all, the only reason the pair was permitted to go so far afield was because Burzum was there with them, presumably protecting them both. If they were to learn that he was uninterested in keeping both lionesses safe, probably neither one would be allowed to go to the beach, and that would be a shame.

"Well, I finally convinced my da to let me watch the reavers practice fighting, and on the way there this complete stranger just started talking to me and he was really just stupid." Naaja frowned. That wasn't quite right. She wasn't telling it right.

Lyti frowned, too, a little confused by Naaja's story but accustomed to her friend's tendency to mess up on her first attempt to recount an annoying experience. Sometimes Naaja just got so mad remembering that she couldn't talk straight. Lyti knew it would be best if she just waited until her friend was less irritated and able to give a better account, and so she settled comfortably and began to wash one of her forepaws.

"Burzum was being a jerk and that's why the other boy started talking to me. He started in yelling at Burzum for being rude to me." She glanced at her pale guardian out of the corners of her mismatched eyes, but if he was listening to her gossip he gave no sign.

Lyti worked her way to the underside of her paw, but her gaze followed Naaja's. "I imagine that went over splendidly."

Naaja closed her eyes and sighed. "Oh, yes. Burzum was absolutely thrilled. He was moments away from rearranging the other boy's body parts, since the two of them kept sniping at each other and trying to make it sound like an insult that I didn't want them to get into a fight."

"Oh, let me guess!" Lyti exclaimed, and then with a particularly annoying accent she said: "'You have to be rescued by a girl! You're so pathetic!' Mrr mrr mrr. Am I right?"

Naaja let out an annoyed chuff. "Exactly! And it was like I wasn't even there, trying to stop them from fighting. This stupid boy kept trying to introduce himself and talk like a lawspeaker. He sounded so lame. Ugh!"

Lyti finished with her paw and moved on to her shoulder. She was keeping her attention at least a little on the rising surf, having no desire to swim back to the pride. She knew how to swim, naturally. Most Stormborn cubs do. But that didn't mean she wanted to have to do it when she was just finally getting groomed all nice and proper.

"So what's the idiot's name?" she asked. "And what did he look like? Was he at least cute?"

Naaja wrinkled her nose. Lyti was a little bit older than her, although she was always going to be more petite because her blood was pure outlander, and in some ways she was a bit precocious. Whereas Naaja's interest in boys was mostly theoretical, Lyti's was beginning to become more serious, and like she wouldn't mind if it became practical.

"He said his name is Tallskog. I guess he wasn't bad looking. His hair was a really pretty golden blond. From his markings he's definitely old blood. I think part of Thorgrim's line. My father would probably approve of him." She rolled her eyes. "But he's still totally stupid and I hope no one tries to make me marry him just because he has old blood. I'd rather marry Burzum."

Both lionesses sneaked another glance at the lanky adolescent keeping watch a short distance away, making sure he hadn't heard, and hoping maybe just a little bit that he had, and that he'd have something to say on the subject. Lyti looked sort of contemplative as she regarded the older lion.

"That might not be so bad. He'd certainly be able to defend his mate, and if he's as prickly about that as he is about everything else...hm. I bet another lion who even looked at his mate would find himself short an eyeball or two. Except, of course, he's still a thrall."

Naaja stared at her best friend. "Um, yeah. And he kind of wants to, y'know, kill my father. But other than that, sure, I bet he'd be a great husband."

Lyti gave a small smile that her friend completely failed to see as she pointed out softly, "But you're not the only lioness in the pride who has to find a husband someday, and it's not my father he hates."

The warlord's daughter blinked in disbelief at the words her friend was speaking. "Have you been chewing mint? He's Burzum. He's a complete and total jerk, remember? Besides, he probably hates you even more than me. I can't help being my father's daughter, but you choose to be my friend."

Lyti laughed in a light, bell-like manner she had recently learned from her mother. It was the way lions liked to hear lionesses laugh, apparently. "Don't worry. I'd choose you over grumpy guts any day."

"You'd better!" Naaja growled.

"Duh! You're my best friend. But I have to head home. You should, too. The water's coming in faster."

Naaja looked over at the surf and noted that it was, indeed, rising. She glanced toward the sky to check for signs of rain or storm, but there weren't any she could see. So at least they didn't have to hurry.

"Okay. Let's go."

Word Count: 1,182