User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Though it wasn't really his clan's 'season', it didn't seem like there were enough bouncers to go around. Mnjrn was doing his part to keep an eye on the border, to make sure that anyone who wandered in only had the best of intentions. Every once in a while he had to keep a stern eye on some non-members, but for the most part it was an easy job.

The summer had just really begun, and though there wasn't a celebration beginning very soon, that didn't mean that people still partied. Summer was a wonderful season, even if it mean heat. Lots of it. Mnjrn's dark coat wasn't so wonderful in the sun, so he was doing his best to keep an eye on everything in the shadows...then, hm, what was that?

A group was approaching the pride, and quite a rag-tag group too.

Samsara was playing leader of the group. Everyone had come together at some point or another, but they all just wanted a place to rest their paws at the moment. Summer wasn't the best time to migrate, but Samsara had lost her home (and didn't know where everyone had gone). Lunshi had decided to strike out on her own from her father and brother, though no one really expected her to last terribly long. She had done better than Samsara expected, but the dainty female did still whine a bout about how hot it was.

"Can we stop yet?" Lunshi whined, her paws growing tired. "Its hot, and I think we all need a drink, not just me." The black lioness was well aware of how selfish she could be, but she couldn't imagine that she was the only one thirsty.

Ifu, the wile dog that tagged along, poped her head up. "Water would be great. I may not feel the heat as bad as you, Lunshi, but I could definitely benefit from a rest." The wild dog's tail twitched behind her, tongue falling out of her mouth. "I don't know how you can do it, Samsara, coming from a swamp."

Samsara shrugged her shoulders. "Its been a long time since I've lived in a swamp. Too long, since no one's there anymore..." There were no signs of a flood, just everything burned to a crisp. It must have become too dry, and the worst happened. Signs were there, but they were old, too old to follow. She decided to live a new life instead of weeping over what could have been. The new name she had no longer fit, and she returned to the name her mother had given her. A memento of where she had come from.

"There....do you see him? Dark, like Lunshi."

All their eyes turned to face the male that watched them all. An amused look creeped up on his face, if only because it seemed like they needed some help, they just didn't know what.

"Lo," Mnjrn called out. "Lost? Thirsty? The look on all your faces is plain to see." The three females inched towards him carefully, though it was obvious that he was the only one around. "You're close to a pride, though a small pride we are. I can extend an offering of water and shelter if you three ladies need it."

Instantly, Lunshi was flattered. An extremely handsome male, offering them just what she needed? She ignored the mildly disgusted and amused looks on her friends. "Why, yes, that's exactly what we needed!" She almost purred with how happy she was. This was exactly what she needed, or so she thought.

Ifu laughed. "Lunshi! Well, she isn't directly the mouthpiece of us all, but I know we could all benefit from a rest." The grey wild dog grew quiet as Samara stood up towards the black lion.

"Rest, yes, but you mentioned a pride was nearby. What is the name? What do you do?" She narrowed her eyes at him, cautious. Maybe a bit suspicious, but she knew how her pride had been. Though it had taken a while for her to accept Ifu's friendship, she no longer wished to be near a pride that did not see the wild dog as an equal. Ifu had helped them out of a lot of issues, and Samara would not benefit to Ifu's downfall.

"The Sikukuu," Mnjrn replied, clearly repeating a speech he had used in the past. "We celebrate all aspects of life, celebrations, seasonal shifts, and just spending time together. We are small, but rogues and strangers may come in just to help celebrate if they so wish. It is as simple as that."

"Simple, hm?" Samsara wasn't completely convinced, but the first impression was passable. Lunshi was already smitten, stupid girl, and Ifu didn't seem to care as long as she had her friends, food, and water. Sometimes she wished that they were more careful, but wishes were foolish things at this point.

"Alright," she said carefully. Lunshi cheered, and Ifu's tail just swished behind her with lightning speed. "Let's take it slowly, girls. This is just a pit stop, remember that."

Lunshi had already decided to see if she could find out more about this male. "I'm Lunshi," she said smoothly. "This is Samsara, and that is Ifu." Knowing how careful Samsara was, the black lioness decided to see if she could be a little craftful herself. "We...want to know if we'd all be allowed in?" Three lions and one wild dog....the odds were not within Ifu's favor.

Mnrjn just laughed. "Oh, trust me, lions make up maybe half of the pride at this point, but you never know. You are all welcome to come in. I can bring you to the Autumn Queen, I'm sure she would be happy to make sure that you all are comfortable. I am Mnjrn, just a mere bouncer in the scheme of things."

Lunshi was thrilled to know his name, as interesting as it sounded. "Mnjrn..." It was thrilling to say.

Ifu bowed slightly to the male, nudging past Lunshi. "I thank you," the wild dog said politely. "I clearly do not mind company among lions, but we worried that no where would accept all of us, if we wish to stay. I can promise, with Samara's backing, that we will be good and helpful if you need any help with hunting." The other two lioness nodded at this, and Ifu smiled brighter. "A drink would be wonderful at this point, or we may all lose our voice!"

The lion chuckled. "Well, there's a stream not far from here. Follow me, and I'll explain a bit of the pride.."

Lunshi quickly followed next to Mnjrn's side, and Samara took the other. It was clear that the yellow lioness wanted more information from the bouncer. Ifu took the rear, content to keep an eye on everything while the lions worked out most of the possible conflicts. If she was welcome here, she wouldn't mind what the outcome was as long as everyone was happy.

---

"So, the pride itself is separated into four clans..." Samsara said.

"And each clan is about a certain season?" Lunshi said with a glimmer in her eyes. She had plans, yes...hopefully she could be within Mnjrn's clan. She was staying, even if the other two moved on.

"Correct," replied Mnjrn. "Though we do all live as one pride. Each clan is just in charge of the celebrations for a certain season. So we are always together, the responsibility just shift year round."

Samsara pondered that. "Interesting. It sounds like a workable system. It prevents everyone from hitting a burn out...I couldn't imagine performers always having to perform whenever needed. Breaks would also give them time to develop new performances."

"Yes, the entertainers here are quite skilled, I just wish we had a few more." Mnjrn shrugged.

"Perhaps in the future," Samsara said with a nod. "If you continue, more visitors will come, and some might stay." The only trick was getting the word out, which could be difficult at times. No one had seemed to leave a word out about the swamps burning, but perhaps she jsut missed a messenger. Well, her decision had been made, and she wasn't changing it at this point.

"Well, can we stay, even if just for a bit?" the wild dog popped in, her wet maw clearly showing that she had taken her fill of water. They were all reclining near the stream, finally feeling refreshed. Cool water, cool earth to rest their paws on...this was good.

"At least for a bit," Samsara said with a nod. "If we decide to stay, well....we can just take it a day at a time. It sounds like the Sikukuu is never in a hurry, so why should we hurry to decide?" The yellow lioness already knew that Lunshi was staying, as long as she could play with fantasies of Mnjrn. She agreed, he was handsome, but the way Lunshi looked at him made Samsara think otherwise. Besides, he seemed to be taking it in stride, and not taking advantage of the poor girl. She admired him for that restraint.

Ifu nodded. "That sounds good. Plus, I can see if I fit in with the other wild dogs," she said with a happy bark. "I do enjoy your company, but it will be nice to stretch my legs and share my barking with those who can bark back," she laughed.

Lunshi tried to not look too interested, but everyone could see right through her pathetic act. "I wouldn't mind," she replied quietly, almost shyly. Could she really do this? She thought she might return to her father and brother at some point, but now...she wasn't so sure. What if she got too comfortable here? Could her father forgive her? She...hoped so. "I hope to be a helpful asset, Mnjrn."

"Woah, I'm not the one to ask," he laughed, "but I'm sure that no one will mind you lingering around for a while. When she is free, at her leisure will the autumn queen come to make sure that everything is settled. Until then, you all will have time to cement your decision, or decide to leave. No hard feelings."

All three of them nodded. "That sounds like a fine plan," replied Samsara. "I like that idea," said Ifu. Lunshi felt her stomach flutter a bit...it was becoming real! A home! With protections and food and... "Yes," was her simple answer to what Mnjrn had said.

"Well, stay here for now. Walk to the east, you'll quickly find the pride there. Take your time, but I'll let the other bouncers know that you're here, so you won't be stopped again." With a swish of his tail and a nod, he was off. "See you later."

Samsara looked over to Lunshi as soon as he was gone. "I know you're already in love with him, but be careful, ok? I don't want you to get all these ideas in his head and find out he's mated."

Lunshi's ears flattened against her skull. "I won't, ok? Its just...a simple crush right now." She really didn't want the lecture. It was ruining her happy mood at the moment. She turned at Ifu, feeling a bit hurt that the wild dog was chuckling.

"Sorry, just...its more than simple," the wild dog laughed. "We've got your back, ok?"

"Fine," Lunshi said, sulking as she stared at the water. The three of them lingered there for most of the day, only wandering towards the pride once the sun threatened to set. Rest was important right now. Later...later they'd decide that staying here seemed like a good idea.

(1,940 words)