Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Guild's Main Forum - - [religion, spirituality, paranormal, metaphysics, etc]
Wards Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Snowy Shadow Cat

Loyal Hunter

7,725 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:56 pm
I wasn't sure where to put this so if it should be somewhere else I'm terribly sorry and you can move it to the right place. But I wanted to make some protection wards for my room (we often get spirits in my apartment that like to keep me up at night [they don't talk to me or anything but I'm very sensitive to those around me I don't know if it's their energy or what but when I'm asleep, if you just walk into my room I wake up, even if I was dreaming and everything! I can just tell you're there and I wake up]) and was wondering if there was a specific way to do it or anything.

I collect jars, odd I know but I use them for containers and candle holders. I was planning to put some jars hanging from my ceiling using wire so I have hanging candles (and so I have something to do will all the damn jars sweatdrop ) when the thought occurred to me that I could possibly use them as wards. I was planning on using the four elements because you just can't beat them. I was going to put a jar filled with elemental representatives (ash and/or a candle for fire, seashells for water, feathers for air [I also collect seashells oh and feathers] and some rocks for earth) into the corresponding corners in my room. I was going to charge them with protection and ask the elements to make a ward around my room. That's my plan anyway. I was just wondering if you'd think it'd work and/or had any suggestions for this.

I haven't thought of the spell to ask for the protection wards yet because I wasn't sure if this could even be done with the elements. I haven't seen anything mention wards in my books so yeah, I wasn't sure if it was a movie thing or not. I've been a witch for a while now, about five years now but it's been on and off. I'm now a christian witch because that's where my faith lies and everything so I'm trying to tie my two beliefs into one practice for me. So if you have any ideas or something for me, please tell me. Just quote me so I know you've replied to my questions or PM me. Thank you for your time.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:41 am
You can do any sort of spell as long as it’s in no way to harm or set out anything negative and you’re well prepared. The elemental ward type of spell is definitely do-able, you just have to call on the spirits of each cardinal direction and it’s element to protect your room. But I suggest you only do it for a certain amount of time, like at night while you’re asleep, and then release them when you can because it’s a bit disrespectful to keep them around all the time. They have things to do as well! Haha, but there’s that or you could cleanse your room every month with a basic cleansing ritual with the four elements and then set your charged jars in the corresponding corners to help hold the cleansing after you’ve finished. It helps dispel negativity and other sorts of energies that usually attract spirits. That’s all I can really condole you on since I myself am not an expert, but I hope I’ve given you some form of insight! Blessed Be c:

Snowy Shadow Cat

Materu Shioni

O.G. Wife

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:43 pm
Materu Shioni
You can do any sort of spell as long as it’s in no way to harm or set out anything negative and you’re well prepared.

The problem with this is logically no one would be able to do any spells ever because there is potential to cause harm even if the intent is "good".  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:16 pm
Materu Shioni

Thank you so much. The cleansing with the elements is more of what I was thinking because of what you said, the elements have things to do so I wouldn't want the bind them to my room sweatdrop guess I didn't explain that well enough. But thank you for the help, I'll work on my spell now to do the cleansing and everything. I have a basic idea of how I want to do it, I just have to write it down and brainstorm for a bit before I perfect it. Thank you again for the help.  

Snowy Shadow Cat

Loyal Hunter

7,725 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100

Materu Shioni

O.G. Wife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:52 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Materu Shioni
You can do any sort of spell as long as it’s in no way to harm or set out anything negative and you’re well prepared.

The problem with this is logically no one would be able to do any spells ever because there is potential to cause harm even if the intent is "good".

Yes I know but I meant if it's not purposefully meant to harm anyone.

Snowy Shadow Cat

You're very welcome! I wish you the best of luck in your spellwork. Blessed be! c:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 am
Materu Shioni
Yes I know but I meant if it's not PURPOSEFULLY meant to harm anyone.

But what if the spell was to stop someone from hurting someone and they went and hurt someone else instead?  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Materu Shioni

O.G. Wife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:01 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Materu Shioni
Yes I know but I meant if it's not purposefully meant to harm anyone.

But what if the spell was to stop someone from hurting someone and they went and hurt someone else instead?

"Do what ye will, but harm none."
You do not cast spells on anyone unless you have their personal permission. You don't mess with the will of a person, that is harmful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:16 pm
Materu Shioni

That has to be the worst translation of the Rede that I have ever seen. The Rede, written in Old English, says "An it harm none, do as ye will." "An" in Old English is "if" not "and." So in modern English it says "If it harms none, do as you will." The Rede says nothing about not causing harm.

Quote:
You do not cast spells on anyone unless you have their personal permission. You don't mess with the will of a person, that is harmful.

Interesting that you bring this up as this was touched on in a recent discussion I was reading. So I think I'll pull a quote from it:
Quote:
Rede is an Old English word that means "advice." It does not mean, nor does it
have the force of law or rule. Some, it seems, are more comfortable with laws
and rules than are witches.

Wicca is not only about action and common sense; Wicca is marked by
practicality.

Consider if you come across a person who is in seizure or who is unconscious.
Do you wait for consciousness to return so the person can give permission? Or
do you give what first aid is appropriate without asking?

Or, consider a person who is not rational at that moment, not able to make a
considered decision. Do you wait for rationality to return before taking
action?

In any number of cases, waiting for permission may be fatal.

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Materu Shioni

O.G. Wife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:42 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Materu Shioni

That has to be the worst translation of the Rede that I have ever seen. The Rede, written in Old English, says "An it harm none, do as ye will." "An" in Old English is "if" not "and." So in modern English it says "If it harms none, do as you will." The Rede says nothing about not causing harm.

Quote:

Interesting that you bring this up as this was touched on in a recent discussion I was reading. So I think I'll pull a quote from it:
Quote:
Rede is an Old English word that means "advice." It does not mean, nor does it
have the force of law or rule. Some, it seems, are more comfortable with laws
and rules than are witches.

Wicca is not only about action and common sense; Wicca is marked by
practicality.

Consider if you come across a person who is in seizure or who is unconscious.
Do you wait for consciousness to return so the person can give permission? Or
do you give what first aid is appropriate without asking?

Or, consider a person who is not rational at that moment, not able to make a
considered decision. Do you wait for rationality to return before taking
action?

In any number of cases, waiting for permission may be fatal.

Alright I can see that this is obviously going nowhere but what I am saying is what I’ve been saying. You’re not allowed to cast spells on anyone without their permission. Physical needs are a different story because of the fact that physically, you can do anything instantaneous, but when it comes to spells, it takes time. I can understand praying for someone who is in need, which is much like a spell but doesn’t require any ingredients other than the words you use. If you wish to continue to argue with me, which was pointless from the start since you did not need to do so at all, then PM me because this type of immaturity and ridiculousness is not fit for the guild’s topics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:03 pm
Materu Shioni
Alright I can see that this is obviously going nowhere but what I am saying is what I’ve been saying. You’re not allowed to cast spells on anyone without their permission.

Where is it law that you can't cast a spell without permission?

Quote:
Physical needs are a different story because of the fact that physically,

So casting a spell to protect someone falls under different laws? Where's the logic in that?

Quote:
you can do anything instantaneous, but when it comes to spells, it takes time.

Not all the time.

Quote:
I can understand praying for someone who is in need, which is much like a spell but doesn’t require any ingredients other than the words you use.

Not really. Spells don't need deities. Praying does. Spells can also just be your words.

Quote:
If you wish to continue to argue with me, which was pointless from the start since you did not need to do so at all, then PM me because this type of immaturity and ridiculousness is not fit for the guild’s topics.

*sigh* Asking questions is not arguing. And has never been arguing. Looking at something from different view points has never been immature. If anything its a sign of maturity. Didn't realize that this guild wasn't one for discussions. You can correct me if I'm wrong because last I looked that was the point of this guild. Asking questions and having discussions.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Materu Shioni

O.G. Wife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:30 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

You’re not getting my message so I am done explaining to you three times over. Blessed be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:56 pm
Materu Shioni
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

You’re not getting my message so I am done explaining to you three times over. Blessed be.

You haven't explained anything. You've made statements. I made statements and explained the reasoning behind it. If you'd like to go back and explain why you say what you said then go for it. I'll start posting reading material if that's what you need.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Materu Shioni

O.G. Wife

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:27 am
— My translation of the Rede was the same as yours, so saying it was “wrong” is erroneous on your part.

— Permission must be given because every person lives their own lives and most manifest their own desires with their own will. Going against their will is harming them because they do not wish for help and therefore, you must respect their decision and not interfere. It’s common sense and in the end, you have to understand some people wish to try things their own way.

— You do not need permission to cast a spell for yourself, but if it were for another person, you must get their permission. So not all spells need permission, but those that are done for another do. Why? Because not everyone enjoys having somebody else involve themselves in their personal matters.

— Casting spells to protect someone other than yourself does not fall under any sort of “different laws” because of the fact that you still need their permission. If they truly want protection, they will gladly give you permission. You need to understand that everyone has their own way of handling things. I’ve repeated myself on this subject many times.

— Yes, with physical interactions, things happen when you take action. Yet, with spells, they do take time because the universe and other forms of power that are aiding you aren’t at your beck and call 24/7.

— Not all prayers need deities, and some spells do need them. Praying can involve something as simple as praying to a spirit or to a faerie for guidance. Spells can ask a certain deity to aid you in a goal that you are working for. Usually praying does involve a deity, yes, but that doesn’t mean it always does; the same goes for spells.

— You were making queries that were asked without the noticeable intent to learn or were meaningless. Having the ability to see from other points of view is a sign of maturity but, you were only questioning everything I said. Your reasoning for questioning me is because you believed I was wrong, and yet you say you were only discussing. You are more than welcome to discuss with me, but do not cull my words asunder and try to make it seem as if my information is incorrect. I know a great deal of what I’m talking about and if you have a question, I would prefer if you ask it without sounding like a haughty internet troll.

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:39 pm
Materu Shioni
— My translation of the Rede was the same as yours, so saying it was “wrong” is erroneous on your part.
Quote:

"Do what ye will, but harm none." is not the same as "If it harms none, do as you will."

Quote:
— Permission must be given because every person lives their own lives and most manifest their own desires with their own will. Going against their will is harming them because they do not wish for help and therefore, you must respect their decision and not interfere. It’s common sense and in the end, you have to understand some people wish to try things their own way.

— You do not need permission to cast a spell for yourself, but if it were for another person, you must get their permission. So not all spells need permission, but those that are done for another do. Why? Because not everyone enjoys having somebody else involve themselves in their personal matters.

So even if the spell was to save someone you'd wait for their permission before casting it?

Quote:
— Casting spells to protect someone other than yourself does not fall under any sort of “different laws” because of the fact that you still need their permission. If they truly want protection, they will gladly give you permission. You need to understand that everyone has their own way of handling things. I’ve repeated myself on this subject many times.

What if it was to save them from themselves? Like a drug addict?
And assuming that I don't understand that people have different ways of doing things is very insulting. I understand that perfectly fine. Its called a discussion.

Quote:
— Yes, with physical interactions, things happen when you take action. Yet, with spells, they do take time because the universe and other forms of power that are aiding you aren’t at your beck and call 24/7.

Not all spells need help from an outside source. So they wouldn't take that long like you're making them sound like they would.

Quote:
— Not all prayers need deities, and some spells do need them. Praying can involve something as simple as praying to a spirit or to a faerie for guidance. Spells can ask a certain deity to aid you in a goal that you are working for. Usually praying does involve a deity, yes, but that doesn’t mean it always does; the same goes for spells.

Prayer - a devout petition to God or an object of worship.
And if you had been actively reading what I've been saying, which its evident that you have not, you would have seen that I did not say that spells don't use deities. I just said that they didn't need them.

Quote:
— You were making queries that were asked without the noticeable intent to learn or were meaningless. Having the ability to see from other points of view is a sign of maturity but, you were only questioning everything I said. Your reasoning for questioning me is because you believed I was wrong, and yet you say you were only discussing. You are more than welcome to discuss with me, but do not cull my words asunder and try to make it seem as if my information is incorrect. I know a great deal of what I’m talking about and if you have a question, I would prefer if you ask it without sounding like a haughty internet troll.

First, if you think I'm a troll then you haven't seen anything yet.
Second, take this from the view point of a teacher and a student. Would you really expect a student to just take everything a teacher has said without question? I've had teachers before that would lie out of their asses. Also, asking questions is how one learns. Discussions happen where you compare what you know with what someone else knows. If done right, both learn and grow from it.

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:31 pm
When it comes to Wicca, there are many aspects that are often misunderstood, and the the “Wiccan Rede” is a big one. Considering that it is often incorporated into Neo-Pagan practices (without being properly understood), it’s sometimes a bit scary to contemplate the ways in which people attempt to apply it, not only to themselves, but to those around them. What many people don’t seem to realize is that the term “rede” simply means advice, which means that the “Wiccan Rede” is not an unbreakable law, or even a strict requirement – it is just exactly what it states it is… a bit of guidance along the path.

As to the “Rede” itself – “an ye harm none, do as ye will” (and yes it is just those 8 words, not the longer poem that many quote) it doesn’t actually tell us that we can’t cause harm, it just says – “if you harm none, do what you want”. So clearly not causing harm is acceptable, however if we look closely at that statement, at no point does it say “if it causes harm, don’t do it”. The truth is, that as long as one has carefully considered one’s actions and is willing to accept the consequences of taking those actions, then one can do whatever one feels is necessary. In the end, it’s all about taking responsibility for one’s actions, not about prohibiting a particular action when it is needed.

It is always acceptable to defend oneself from harm, and to protect one’s family and loved ones, and the Rede was definitely not meant to imply that one cannot do that. Too many people take it as some sort of blanket prohibition, which it really isn’t, and in truth it is impossible to go through life without causing harm to someone or something.

For more information on the origins of the Rede, and the meaning behind it, you can check out the following… The Wiccan Rede: A Historical Journey

Also, as to requesting permission - while it's good to ask for permission when you can, there may be times when you absolutely can't ask. In those cases you need to ask your self what will do more harm - taking action, or not taking action. If you will potentially do mare damage by not taking action, then it's clear that taking action is the better course, even if you can't ask for permission.

Snowy Shadow Cat
I wasn't sure where to put this so if it should be somewhere else I'm terribly sorry and you can move it to the right place. But I wanted to make some protection wards for my room (we often get spirits in my apartment that like to keep me up at night [they don't talk to me or anything but I'm very sensitive to those around me I don't know if it's their energy or what but when I'm asleep, if you just walk into my room I wake up, even if I was dreaming and everything! I can just tell you're there and I wake up]) and was wondering if there was a specific way to do it or anything.

I collect jars, odd I know but I use them for containers and candle holders. I was planning to put some jars hanging from my ceiling using wire so I have hanging candles (and so I have something to do will all the damn jars sweatdrop ) when the thought occurred to me that I could possibly use them as wards. I was planning on using the four elements because you just can't beat them. I was going to put a jar filled with elemental representatives (ash and/or a candle for fire, seashells for water, feathers for air [I also collect seashells oh and feathers] and some rocks for earth) into the corresponding corners in my room. I was going to charge them with protection and ask the elements to make a ward around my room. That's my plan anyway. I was just wondering if you'd think it'd work and/or had any suggestions for this.

I haven't thought of the spell to ask for the protection wards yet because I wasn't sure if this could even be done with the elements. I haven't seen anything mention wards in my books so yeah, I wasn't sure if it was a movie thing or not. I've been a witch for a while now, about five years now but it's been on and off. I'm now a christian witch because that's where my faith lies and everything so I'm trying to tie my two beliefs into one practice for me. So if you have any ideas or something for me, please tell me. Just quote me so I know you've replied to my questions or PM me. Thank you for your time.

Being that you are a Christian Witch, you might find it more effective to ask God/Jesus blessing as far as warding your room. Other than that if you don't want to create your own, the following is a good spell that you can use (and you can still use it to base your own on as well) - witches' bottle.  
The Guild's Main Forum - - [religion, spirituality, paranormal, metaphysics, etc]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games