User ImageUser Image

Lately, the young prince had taken to a new hobby and that, oddly enough, was watching the slaves. He didn't seem to have any particular purpose and took advantage of the fact the slave dens were located near the royal dens whenever he got any odd looks. Not that he truly needed an excuse, he seemed to be doing nothing at all except hanging around nearby while the slaves carried on with whatever business suited them. He never asked for their help, though a few times he had been offered it out of respect and habit, he never interfered, just .. watched.

And that was how he was choosing to spend his evening yet again tonight. He was lurking near the edge of the slave's living space, his gaze wandering about the area as some slaves returned for the night and others rose to enjoy it.

It was impossible not to notice the increased presence of the prince around the slave dens, Unyezi was particularly sensitive to it- though he wondered if his sister or niece had yet noticed it. He assumed they would put a stop to it earlier considering Selene's history and the more troubling concern over a male heir and slaves.. but Shangyue was still here, almost every night. Unyezi had been the first to ask if there was something he needed but he was brushed off. The same thing happened the next time he asked. So now he was observing the observer, thoughtful.

"He doesn't seem to have his eyes on anybody in particular," he mused quietly, "He's just.. there."

Unyezi had been heir once, he liked to think he ought to be able to identify with his great nephew. But when he came looking to the slaves at Shangyue's age, he found Nerit. It was probably why the old lion couldn't stop watching for him to slip up and reveal his interest in a young lady. But that moment never seemed to come.

It was a while before Shangyue realized he was being watched back and for once his shock was apparent. How could he have not noticed his uncle watching him so intently? He had been ignoring him for a while but Unyezi wasn't even trying to hide the fact he was looking at the prince. At first he only stared back but then he decided maybe he could ask a few questions, he'd seen plenty.

He got to his feet and walked calmly to the elder lion.

"Unyezi."

It was a challenge to keep his eyes on Shangyue when he was spotted. Unyezi was capable of maintaining a calm demeanor even while displaying confidence he either lacked or ought not to have. Shangyue did not seem offended by this disrespect, though.

"Prince Shangyue," he returned the greeting, not bothering to smile. His nephew was not a lion he was very familiar with, his role in the education of the the future of the pride was greatly diminished now since the pride seemed well on track once more, "You're here yet again. Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Perhaps."

Shangyue noticed, aside from the staring, other indications that he was not being given the respect other slaves might have offered to a prince. Unyezi remained seated and appeared indifferent, not bothering to hide that he only offered his help out of duty. That made him far more interesting, this was what Shangyue wanted to see, to understand.

"What is your opinion of slaves?"

It would be hard to miss the fact that he was being analyzed now, he nearly let it affect his presentation but he stubbornly refused while so suspicious. Somehow he had let his mind wander back into noble parent mode. And then Shangyue asked a very strange question.

"That is not an easy question to ask," he said, taken aback, "Or answer."

"I understand," Shangyue said plainly, shrugging, "I'm not causing trouble, merely trying to understand. The Great Lion does not watch over you and so you submit to us, to the pride, to take whatever favor we might share with you. But why?"

It was clear Shangyue knew why, which made his question all the more confusing. There had to be something he wasn't saying, but what that could be he had no idea.

"We do what we need to do to assure that we will be recognized by the Great Lion in the next life," he said carefully, not sure how else to answer except repeat the same things they all were taught, "We are not only concerned about our physical selves or we might not submit."

It was the plain truth. A slave could escape if they were careful and determined enough, even though the pride aimed to keep them safe so long as they accepted them and the Great Lion.

Shangyue did not respond to the typical, boring answer he was given. He had hoped a former monarch would offer some greater insight than this but he was disappointed. He was silent for a moment before finally asking another question.

"Have you ever been asked to do something you did not agree with?"

"No," Unyezi answered with only a few seconds hesitation to absorb the interesting question, decidedly leaving out the fact that his answer might be different if they were not specifically talking about slaves, "I have never been asked to do anything I thought might present any danger to myself or the pride."

His tone made it very clear he was inflexible on that point, he would not submit to any dangerous orders. And that now he had a new suspicion, one far removed from the secret romance he imagined before talking to Shangyue.

The prince looked indifferent despite the tone his uncle now used. He was disappointed but not surprised by Unyezi's insistent hold to the way things were taught around here.

"Only curious," he said, almost defensively, "If you don't consider how things might be, how can you know what is is right?"

Again the prince surprised him. It was strangely wise to look at things this way, to try to see the big picture. Worrying about immoral slaves was a strange thing for a young heir so far from succession.

"Well, I hope I helped," he said.

"Mm."

And now that he had some answers and more to think about, Shangyue simply ended the conversation in the style he was becoming known for. He simply turned around and walked away. He wouldn't be observing any more slaves tonight, perhaps not for a while. But he wasn't done, he was barely beginning.

Unyezi blinked and watched Shangyue walk away. He was left sitting there alone, wondering if he or the prince was thinking too much into this now. It was certainly one of the strangest encounters he had ever had.

Fin!