Welcome to Gaia! ::

River of Polls : A GUILD OF RANDOMNESS AND EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Back to Guilds

A random-based guild in which you may literally spam, chat, and do whatever you want. (Just follow the TOS and have fun!!!) 

Tags: Spam, Polls, Chat, Everything, Hangout, Role-playing, Role, Play, Word, Games, Quizzes, Discussion, Friends, Roleplay 

Reply River of Polls
Do people really... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I feel
  unsure
View Results

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:28 pm
walk around convinced they're going to be attacked by someone? In some parts of the world it seems like a valid concern, in others, it just seems like you would end up in a situation of great misunderstanding.

My room mate is cooking dinner right now with her mini jar of pepper spray, and signed up for a self defence (karate type) class and was surprised it's a bunch of engineers and she's the only female in it. Her reason for the class is so she can defend herself if attacked.

I also notice people that seem naturally afraid of others, also claim the engineers are the creepy ones and they're surprised to find out they're actually really nice. What they mistake as creepy is actually being fairly intellectual, and perhaps a few social awkward moments.

Still am I supposed to be more afraid of the people around me, and ready to defend myself at all times? or is everyone else I know just overly prepared and paranoid?  
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:31 pm
i personally thing it's a good idea to know some form of self-defense, but it can go overboard
like i want to learn self-defense and be able to carry a tanto around, but any knife can be used instead of a tanto (which is a Japanese battle knife, basically)
but i don't own a tanto cat_emo  

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:32 pm
Kitalpha Hart
i personally thing it's a good idea to know some form of self-defense, but it can go overboard
like i want to learn self-defense and be able to carry a tanto around, but any knife can be used instead of a tanto (which is a Japanese battle knife, basically)

To the extent of keeping your pepper spray in the kitchen while you cook,

closing all the windows despite it being a billion degrees.  
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 pm
cool4
Kitalpha Hart

To the extent of keeping your pepper spray in the kitchen while you cook,

closing all the windows despite it being a billion degrees.
yeaaah, that's a bit overboard
granted, i close windows, too, but that's cuz we get bugs and idontlikebugs  

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:39 pm
I understand the point of learning self defence, and I think people should know some basics of finding the closest object they can use to defend themselves and stuff like that.

But I feel the more I meet people the more paranoid they all seem. I sometimes wonder if I should become more paranoid.

Then I remember most of the people I know are afraid of engineers, and I'm basically friends with all the engineers/practically am one. So I have no real reason to be paranoid. Though I also have yet to meet the person that makes me crawl into a shell and hide. Maybe if I ever do I'll start becoming more paranoid.  
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Nah, I think its how some people are...I had a friend who's parents bought all 3 daughter tasers... neutral  

Shikume
Crew

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:06 pm
Shikume
Nah, I think its how some people are...I had a friend who's parents bought all 3 daughter tasers... neutral

now that has to be quite extreme.  
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:18 pm
cool4
Shikume

Yeah, it really was -x-

One times we were eating out and she pulled it out and turned it on...it makes a nasty crackling sound...almost got kicked out of Ihop xD  

Shikume
Crew

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:22 pm
Shikume
cool4
Shikume

Yeah, it really was -x-

One times we were eating out and she pulled it out and turned it on...it makes a nasty crackling sound...almost got kicked out of Ihop xD

Someone died in an airport by being taser'd so yeah I can see that not ending well.  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:07 am
This is one reason why it sucks to be a female. They are more likely to be attacked in public than males are. They are more likely to be conflicted than men. Feel sorry for you females. sad I really do. I'm glad I look weird so people won't approach me.  

Aoi the Crossdresser

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:49 pm
I think a lot of people are more afraid then they should be, mainly because media and news is set up to make us afraid. I think it's almost more dangerous for people to be overly scared, because that's when people can do really dumb stuff.

However, knowin' basic defense is good, but not to the point where you can't turn it off.

I think we all need to learn to trust strangers more, but not be dumb about it.  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 pm
There are crazy people out there, but I'm telling you: I have spent time with the "lowlies" of life that would have the appearence of being dangerous..there is no danger there. Most often, people are too self absorbed to be concerned about anything other than their own lifes, despite thier appearence..Anxiety runs too rampant these days...not to mention that self-defense will only go about as far as the studying for a test that you blank-out on when the times comes anyway.  

GenevieveGautier

Aoi the Crossdresser

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Oh and another thing that sucks about being female, periods. sad Can't imagine how that feels. I never will....it's soo sad. emo  
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 pm
Aoi the Crossdresser
Oh and another thing that sucks about being female, periods. sad Can't imagine how that feels. I never will....it's soo sad. emo

Just stab yourself in the gut with a knife for 7 days in a row every month. xd  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Aoi the Crossdresser

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:45 pm
Semok
Aoi the Crossdresser

Just stab yourself in the gut with a knife for 7 days in a row every month. xd
No way? O.O Is that how it feels? If I did that I would kill myself. sad Cuz i would bleed to death. emo  
River of Polls

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff