Submit

s3tsuna_uchiha

Beloved Lunatic

21,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:44 pm
My golden retriever gets yeast infections in his ears often. My husband cleans his ears and when he gets wet from rain or a bath we dry his ears. We always take him to the vet when he gets it and they give us a cream medication to use. It seems to help but it only clears it up for a few weeks before it comes right back. And our vet wont just let us come pick up more medication, they make us pay for an examination every time even though every single examination has consisted of them looking at his ears and giving us the exact same diagnosis. I can't even count how many times he's been taken in for this. It's beginning to get costly and frustrating. I was looking into over the counter or natural options so we can keep something around since he seems to be prone to them. I found a product called Eco Ears and was wondering if anyone in here has used it before? Or if anyone else has any suggestions or alternatives.
I should probably mention also that the stuff my husband cleans his ears with all the time is cleaning solution from the vet as well, so it's not like we're just using whatever to clean them. Our vet also said it was water that was causing the infections but we keep his ears dry as I mentioned so Im wondering how he could possibly keep getting them. This has been going on for 2 years now. sad  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 am
Sounds like it's time for a second opinion from a different vet.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:19 am
1rst, any dog with chronic infections should either have a culture done or be tested for allergies. (allergies increase incidence of these issues, treat the source and prevent future ear infections). What product do you use to clean, what's the name? It would be helpful to use a drying agent, not just dry the ears with a towel. Chances are the dampness is far in the ear, too far to reach. Either way I agree trying a new vet may be a good idea. It's not normal to have chronic ear infections. Vet's have to have seen the animal within the last year to prescribe meds, but, if it's as often as you say, something else is provoking it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:07 pm
The ear cleaner we use from the vet is Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleanser.

We take him to the vet clinic on the army base my husband is stationed at. There is probably at least three different vets working there that we have seen now. I could try taking him to the next town over and seeing one there. Maybe changing clinics will help.

Usually to dry his ears my husband uses a towel and cotton balls depending on the situation. He isnt an outside dog either. We don't have a fenced in yard and we aren't allowed to put out a stake so he only goes outside on his leash with us for walks or potty breaks. So he's not left out side in the rain or anything. Just trying to figure out where the moisture could be coming from. We haven't even bathed him in months because I was unsure if that could have been the source of it all.  

s3tsuna_uchiha

Beloved Lunatic

21,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:33 pm
How often does ur vet suggest using epi otic? Ears can get moist from the humidity in the air. Floppy ears trap in this moisture. If there's any kind of irritation from allergies this predisposes them to get infections. Epi Otic besides being a cleaner has a drying agent. This is what's important. To get the moisture out from deep inside the ear. I would either speak with your vet about this problem being chronic and wanting to find a more permanent solution. OR try another vet, but be sure to mention this is a chronic issue and you want a solution. Maybe they can offer a drying solution that you can use daily to keep moisture out.

You can always give a bath and just avoid the head. Also check with your vet if the dog need's his ear plucked regularly. This might help keep them dry.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games