[PLOT - PRP] The Way of the Shaman [FINISHED] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:59 pm
User Image Walking through one of the many corridors of the tree, the princess sought out her acquaintance, the seer. Or, perhaps it was better to call her mentor or teacher at this point, as she would be helping her to discover and master whatever power the tree had blessed her with. Sure, she already held the powers of her kind, levitation, cloud movement, sunlight, but this was more than simply seeking to become stronger. This was to solidify her position in this society, to show her loyalty, even if it was not as strong as those raised here, to those whom had taken her people in. It was the least she could do.

Never the less, it is one thing to be told you have a power, another to learn how to use it. That is what she wished to learn today: her power.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:34 pm
User Image

The influx, not only of new residents, but of those willing to swear fealty to the Tree had kept Rais' Council extraordinarily busy for the last few weeks. For the most part, the rest had been handling the physical needs of the new residents, making sure there were ample places to stay, food for meals, and other such necessities. But that left Vanya to handle those with spiritual and emotional needs.

The Seer had been a willing ear to any needing someone to talk to in this new place, as well as offering simple advice and information to those who asked. She'd never in her younger years ever imagined she'd end up in such a respected role, nor feeling so important to so many Pae. It was a heady feeling...even if she constantly fretted that she may make a mistake with so many asking so much of her.

There were some comforts for her though, and at least not all problems held the fate of the Isle over her head. Having helped a young filly find her mother again, Vanya waved to the retreating aura and smiled, reaching up to touch the flower that had been tucked behind her ear. A reward from a relieved child for having banished the primal fear of being left alone for too long. Yes, she could handle such crises.

Sensing a familiar aura approaching, Vanya canted her head, one ear twitching towards the sound of delicate hooves. The aura was definitely familiar, if a bit...different than the last time she'd read it. "Celestia? My apologies...is that you, Princess?" She was quite close to her home at the moment; perhaps she had been sought out?

o0_Daisuke_0o

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:47 pm
The princess's stride had softened and slowed as Vanya came into sight, a young child with her, as she had no intention of forcing herself upon the seer. If it were to happen, as she dearly hoped, it needed to be natural, almost as if it were a coincidence... or... at least not quite so needy in appearance. She placed her hand against the bark of the tree and looked up, letting her mind go blank among the view of it, only to be brought back to reality as she was addressed. How long had she even been lost in that moment of pure tranquility...? It didn't matter now.

Smiling lightly, a bit relieved that the seer couldn't see the light shade of pink flushing her cheeks from being caught off-guard and that nobody else appeared to have noticed, the princess came closer. She nodded once before returning the address. "Afternoon Va--... Ms. Vanya," she blushed again as she realized that she was forgetting to address the seer with a higher respect. "An apology is unnecessary for such a situation. Have you a minute?" The princess hoped to learn much from her.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:04 pm
The Seer chuckled, sending a ripple through her long silvery-blue locks with a shake of her head. "Please, Vanya will do, if I can call you 'Celestia.' I do tire sometimes of this whole 'Lady' and 'Seer' and 'Ms.' thing on an everyday basis." She smiled, moving towards the other female. "I only apologized for my hesitation. I am trying to do better at memorizing auras, though...it is a bit trickier than just memorizing faces. I...didn't recognize yours at first," she kept her explanation simple, not entirely sure of herself just yet either. However, while some of the Faunies' auras had been changing subtly as they swore allegiance to the Tree and spent time beneath its boughs, it was a gradual change, generally towards a calm forest green color. Celestia's had done the same, she noted, since her ceremony, but...there was something else there. A change she'd only ever seen in two other Faun before.

She'd hold onto the thought for now, rather than bring it up abruptly, even if it had provoked her curiosity. "I believe the crises have passed for the moment," she joked lightly with a nod. "Of course. How could I be of service?"

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:23 pm
Celestia smiled lightly, her posture noticeably relaxing as the usual formalities were brushed aside. "I am of agreement; to be treated with such respect at all times is to also be kept at a distance." She had stopped walking as she noticed Vanya come closer, as she had difficulty completely understanding how she exactly saw the world and did not wish to accidentally run into her. "I would imagine so, as there are only so many colors to be seen."

The princess joined in a small laugh with the seer, letting it drift off as she glanced away. "If you have the time, I wish to learn about this power of a shaman. What it entails, how is it of use to myself and my people... and the tree." She had almost forgotten the last part there. Despite her loyalty to her new home, the princess was still adjusting to not necessarily putting her subjects before the others; she had meant no disrespect with it being almost an afterthought.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:11 pm
Vanya chuckled in kind, matching her stride with Celestia. Her ears were constantly swiveling as they moved, helping to track the position of her friend, as well as others in the nearby area. The auras, though inconsistent and of little use when she first started seeing them (and until she even realized what she was seeing), now were an added benefit not unlike seeing...just not as distinct. And it took concentration to maintain the reading. Sometimes she tired and just let everything fade to nothing once more.

"So many colors, yes," she agreed. "But some are shared in common, and others can tell you things about other Pae that their faces or expressions never would," she added mysteriously with a smile. "It is only one possible perk of being a shaman and learning to commune with the spirit world."

She'd lead the way back to her own 'apartment' of sorts as they spoke. Takis was likely out; he was so busy lately making new homes and tools and things for all the new Faun. Early on, he'd added a small cove near the front for when she had guests or those who needed her help, so it was her own space as well. It was small, but cozy, with simple comforts for close company. "Come, please, make yourself at home," she smiled, trailing her fingertips lightly over the walls until she reached her destination, a small seat carved into the wall with a cushion for comfort. There was a similar pair of seats remaining.

She had tastefully ignored Celestia's little afternote, brushing it off as adjustments to her new life. She was likely so used to putting herself and her subjects first, that a whole new society of Faun to consider was taking some practice to include naturally. "The power of the shaman can be great, a wonderful power used to aid those you love by calling upon powers beyond our own. It can be knowledge from those who have come before. Or, it can be frightening, as it is vast and unknown, beyond our own realm of experience."

She paused, letting that sink in. "I can give you a basic understanding of what you might expect. I can train you in focus and testing your limits. I can guide you when the path seems lost. However, your own unique ability, you will have to find yourself. Oh, you will have aid...but it won't be me," she smiled mysteriously again.

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:12 pm
Celestia felt a chill go up her spine at the seer's smile and words; could she possibly...? No. There wasn't any way that Belvah would have told someone else, since she had promised after all. It couldn't be a reference to Aquos, certainly not.

She followed after her guide, her gaze looking around the modest home. It wasn't so different after all, and she smiled to herself, wondering just what she had expected it to look like. Turning to look at Vanya as she was addressed, she nodded once. "As you wish," the princess replied before taking a seat in a similar, nearby chair. She brushed her bangs out of her eyes and her flowing hair behind her, glancing at it for a moment to see it fall upon the ground. What she said, the seer, confused the princess greatly. Calling powers outside of her own? Aid from someone other than her mentor? The spirit world?!

Remaining silent for a few moments, she shook her head, trying to make any sense of even the premise of what she was learning. There were so many questions, yet none seemed to form into a clear array of words. Letting go of her doubts and confusion for the moment, she sighed lightly and shrugged, shaking her head.

Another empty moment passed before she could find her words. "This..." she gave a small chuckle, continuing, "...is all so very surreal and disorienting. I trust that you will help me to understand."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:23 pm
Vanya couldn't help but chuckle, though she meant no insult. She was well aware that she'd just thrown a lot of information at the poor Fauny to absorb. Secretly, she couldn't help but do so on purpose to new students. With a smile, she explained, "A shaman draws power from the spirit world. They have been called 'dark' powers, but do not be mistaken. They are no more evil nor good than any other powers. Simply...misunderstood sometimes. They take a different sort of practice and acceptance, so those who cannot use them, don't usually go to the trouble to learn more about them. And the unknown is a frightening thing, don't you know?" She smiled at this.

"Shamans can do many sorts of things. Many of which involve gaining knowledge in ways other than those that most are accustomed to. Different sorts of senses, that are sometimes attuned to things that others cannot even see. Or smell, or taste. Take my ability to read auras, for example. It was a gift, given after I gave up my natural sight. It is another form of sight, providing different information that most others cannot detect. I cannot see the details of another's face anymore, but instead, I can see their hearts, their souls."

She paused, realizing that could be taken as more than a bit creepy, and laughed nervously. "Err...perhaps I should turn down the flair for the dramatic a touch..." Chuckling again, she rested her hands in her lap, seeming to 'look' down at them. Her thumbs traced lightly over her palms and the faint sigils burned there so many years ago when she'd discovered her first, original 'ability'. "Shamanistic powers can be quite strange, but you should never be afraid of them. Like any ability, it is how they are used that counts. Any ability that is misused can be frightening, no matter how small the power. The key, as in anything, is practice and control and understanding."

"As for learning your specific ability, you should have some help in that," she smiled, then seemed to 'look' around again for something in the air. "Ah, he's being shy. Well, they don't tend to like others as much as their bonded...at least, mine doesn't, I've noticed." She chuckled, realizing she likely seemed like a crazy Faun at the moment. "Since the ceremony when you swore fealty to the Tree, have you perhaps noticed a small glowing ball of light following you around?" Vanya smiled. "That, is your new Mellon. They are Avalon Fairies that live all over the Isle. When a Pae'il is ready to learn their unique ability, they are sought out by a special Fairy that bonds with them as a friend and adviser. They are the ones that help us learn exactly what our new abilities are. Of course, it might help to get to know one another first and make friends. They have different personalities, just like any Pae'il, but typically they won't show their true forms until after you've bonded to some degree. Before that, it will simply appear to you as a ball of light. Give it time, soon, you'll have no closer friend."

She sat back, letting the silence stretch between them for a moment. "It's a lot to absorb, I realize," she said finally. "But I'm willing to answer any questions you may have, general or otherwise."

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:37 am
Celestia nodded as she moved her hands to either side of her arms, rubbing it slightly to negate the soft chill that had numbed them. She agreed entirely in what was said; the unknown was a very frightening thing to think about or be faced with. Even she, despite her calm and strong demeanor, had been stiff with fear as they abandoned their homeland in search of Telrunya. So many had even refused to come because of this, and she still looked to the sky many nights, wondering how they were and if they were living wonderful lives.

A small smile formed on her mouth at her friend's consideration. Friend... Yes, she felt she could think of Vanya as such after this time they had spent together. Simply having someone she could address without such great formalities as was often needed was enough to satisfy her, even if the seer did not imagine her in the same manner.

But she had said the soul. Did that mean she could see her own, bound to Aquos's by the arrow of marriage...? No... Certainly not...

Why did the princess still worry about others finding out? Was it really so blasphemous to be bound to an angel? Even if they were kind... and thoughtful... and... and...

No. No no no. That was the topic of another moment; how could she have let him slip into her mind at such an inappropriate time. She shook her head slightly as she returned her attention to Vanya's words, disappointed in herself for ignoring her, if only for a few moments. Celestia returned to the conversation as the seer looked about for something... A glowing light? The princess looked to either side of her, before closing her eyes and thinking. Had something like that been following her? She shook her head, unsure about it. "I cannot recall something like that, but perhaps I have been naive of my surroundings. It would not be the first instance of it." No, that happened more than she would openly admit.

Having relaxed quite a bit, the princess moved her hands to her lap, clasping them together lightly. "This light, this... mellon, as you call it. Am I to address it directly upon its appearance, or am I to let it make the first initiation?"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:02 pm
Vanya waited patiently, nodding at the first of what was likely to be many questions. "As I said, they can all be different. Perhaps yours is shy and is waiting for a time to approach you when you are alone. In any case, when it does approach, it may or may not speak first. You can take its approach as a first initiation. Simply be open and welcoming, that's all you need to do. The Mellon has already chosen you, so you just need to let the relationship grow. As you grow closer, your Mellon will eventually allow you to see its true form. But, even before that, it will begin to lead you down the path to learning your unique ability."

The Seer wasn't one to pry into others' business, but...at the same time, she couldn't help but see things that others would sometimes try to hide from their expressions and actions. They couldn't know how to hide things from her, as she didn't use the same senses as most anymore. On the other hand, her new abilities didn't exactly come with a set of rules or guidelines either. What she had learned thus far, she had had to figure out and piece together from her own experience. She'd found though, that if others' thoughts and emotions were strong enough, that she could pick up on traces of these without much effort. She could tell when one was preoccupied with other thoughts, as it seemed to affect their emotions, and while she couldn't always tell what the exact emotions were being felt at a particular time, she could tell when those emotions were shifting and how quickly by the shifting colors of their aura.

Celestia's kept shifting through a virtual spectrum as they spoke. Vanya could guess easily enough at some of the things she might be feeling: curiosity, apprehension, worry, excitement...those could easily explain the numerous shifting colors the Seer had been witnessing. Why then, did that one subtle, constant change that she'd observed concern her so?

Perhaps, because she knew what it signified, being so rare, and yet, had heard no such news being shared throughout the Tree. Normally, it would be an event to be celebrated...so why had she heard nothing?

Keeping her growing concern to herself for the moment, Vanya prompted with a smile, "Any other questions, Celestia? You can ask me anything."

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:51 pm
How many Mellon must there be for each and every one of the pae who swear loyalty to the tree to be picked by one? It was incredible. "Has an instance occurred where there was one chosen by no Mellon?" If one did not appear, would the powers remain, only to be discovered in an accident? Or would they dissipate into nothing? Thinking of another trivial question, she mused. "Do others outside of the tree, nai'ad, fey, demon or angel, perform a similar ritual of loyalty for an ability?" What would happen if they broke this loyalty.

What would happen if Aquos and she were to face each other one day because of these oaths?

Such a silly question; no such thing could happen like that. Besides, as far as anyone outside of themselves and Belvah understood, they would be no closer than friends in a dispute. They were a different people, so of course they would believe in different sides. It would be foolish to think, or even to hope, for something else, something idealistic. Better for her to continue to downplay any relation she might have to another on the outside.

For better or for worse.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:11 pm
The question actually gave the Seer pause for a moment to consider. After a few moments, she shook her head with a frown. "Not to my knowledge. Though the time may vary in how long it takes before a Faun is able to bond with their Mellon and begin practicing their talent, I've never heard of any Faun not finding theirs eventually. Of course, this only goes for those who have officially sworn fealty to the Tree to strengthen their bond with the Earth element. It's assumed that those who have not are not yet ready to accept the responsibility of a special talent of their own, but will do so in the future in their own time," she finished with a sage nod.

"As for the others on the Isle," she frowned, shrugging her shoulders. "I can only assume that they do something similar, yes. I cannot say I know the details of anything they may do, but I would assume that the Naiad at least have a ceremony similar to our own, except for their own element. Of the Blood Pae'il, I have no personal knowledge of their loyalty customs." Her tone was neutral and even, but she'd grown a bit curious at the line of questioning. Of course, being new to the land, perhaps the Fauny Princess was just curious about those who shared the Isle, especially after having been warned to be cautious of their company. She couldn't understand the growing threat that loomed in the shadows, haunting the worried thoughts of the leaders of the land, concerned for their people.

"I do admit, I spent some time on the Isle away from the Tree in my youth," she continued. "I observed some of the strange Pae'il that lived there, always from a distance though, so I learned little of the customs and traditions that occurred between those of that culture and their ruling body. In fact, I'm not sure I ever actually heard anything at the time about any ruling body, come to think of it. It was a bit odd," she mused, puzzled. How could such a large population function together as one without some form or leadership? Wouldn't all dissolve into chaos?

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:25 am
Celestia rested her hands on her lap and nodded. It had been a bit presumptuous of her to assume that Vanya would have an extensive knowledge of cultures outside of her own; just knowing that it was likely that they did was enough to satisfy her curiosity. Perhaps, at a later time, she could ask Aquos if he knew of something, even if he did not interact much, to her knowledge, with the others of his kind. It was hard to believe that any pae so kind as him, no matter their origins, could serve as a threat to another; he didn't appear able of malcontent.

That was right, as the princess faintly recalled their first meeting, the seer had mentioned traveling away before she took her current position. At the time it had simply filled her with a bitterness, but now, for its discoveries, it proved to be a source of curiosity. She tilted her head, confusion just noticeable in her tone. "No hierarchy with which to rule? Such a thing cannot sustain a society..." she paused, her voice softening some as she looked up, contemplating, "Perhaps you were observing the transition of their society from one leader to another? It is not so uncommon as to be an unlikely occurance."

But if that had happened so long ago, surely a consensus over a new rule had been reached. Right?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:55 pm
Vanya nodded in agreement. "I thought it quite odd indeed. Though, in retrospect, it made one other odd thing I'd noticed at the time make more sense. I never did see any large communities of Blood Pae. I found individuals, scattered about, mostly living on their own, but never large groups. Perhaps, without the needed leadership, they had no way of maintaining any sizable community of sorts. Of course, it's been some time since my travels, so, perhaps it is not the same now. I cannot say," she finished with a shake of her head.

Still, concern lurked at the back of her mind. Her visions whispered that the Blood Pae'il were organizing again. This alone wouldn't cause concern, because all people needed some form of structure in society, right? But, concern stemmed from the ominous warnings to prepare that always came alongside, and the visions of the past, and what had happened the last time they'd trusted and welcomed the Blood Pae to their lands...

"It must be sad to live like that," she continued with a solemn air. "All scattered about, away from one's people, with no sense of belonging." Never mind that she'd done exactly that for some time; a self-inflicted sort of exile. Of course, since she'd been back to the Tree and faced her fears (if unwillingly at first), putting them to rest, it all seemed quite silly now. But she'd only been a child at the time...foolishness was allowed in youth. At the same time, it gave her a unique viewpoint to be able to empathize with the disconnection and solitude that must be endured. Could that much pain, endured for so long...lead to madness?

She could certainly see it...even if she couldn't condone it. Only time would tell if the ominous warnings proved valid.

Teigra
Crew

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Daisicle

Aged Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:39 pm
Celestia nodded, glancing away. Of the other types of pae she'd met, the blood-type and the fey always seemed to be on their own or in contact with few others. There didn't appear to be anything similar to the tree for them, or a leader or council of sorts. Naturally, she believed, all larger communities required a leader of sorts to lay down the groundwork for societal rules and proper functioning. Moral ethics could only do so much alone, especially with all the differing perspectives that could arise of it. What she may think horrid may be considered perfectly natural in another form of society.

Still... Even so... Wouldn't a pae want to be near with others like themselves to share their stories, their feelings, their beliefs with? Certainly yes. The true loneliness that came from solitude would be enough to eventually break anyone.

"I should think that they would wish to, one day, form a set of rules and rule, not unlike our own." Rais, as well as his council, were the founding leaders, reborn. Was it possible that the blood pae were awaiting their own leader(s)' rebirth? "Perhaps they have their own sort of 'Earthmother', and she, or he, is to appoint their heads, not unlike Rais and his council?" the princess suggested. If it had happened in one culture, it wasn't much of a stretch to imagine happening for another.

:[ The Fifth Age ]:

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff