Ami woke with a start, her cheek pressed into cool hardwood. For a moment she panicked, as she always seemed to right as she woke up. Some days were worse than others. Instead of hardwood she expected dank dirt and the smell of rusted bars mixed with widened eyes and screams of terror. It wore off moments later as she focused her efforts on remaining in the library at Deus Ex, instead of somewhere else far, far away.

Books were next. Without meaning to she'd amassed a pile of books that stretched out in front of her like an ocean. There was a pile for Atlantean that Junpei moaned and groaned at no matter how interesting she found the subject (that is, it was homework for him). A pile of norse for Lex- she could've done it herself, but he always looked so pleased when he solved it. Madeline's was split with Stormy's- the only difference between the two was that Madeline's share had a comic book or two slipped in. Ami didn't miss small details like that.

There were countless other piles on top of those, both for her friends and for her own indentures. Ami's tiny hand went to wipe her face, only to realize she'd smeared her makeup that way.

A thick frown creased her lips as she turned the faucet in the hallway bathroom. She hated using these public spaces, but nobody was up at this hour anyways. It was probably about 4 or 5 in the morning, Ami's light sleeping habits taking their toll. Most days she couldn't even begin to predict when she'd wake up or when she'd sleep. It just sort of happened.

Even more surprising was that neither Lex nor Marcus had come to "put her to bed" last night. It seemed like most nights she at least got a text if not a personal appearance from one of the twosome. They were teaming up on her, she knew it.

Back to work. She sat down at the table, rubbing the side of her head lightly. She had a slight headache from the short sleep, but there was nothing she could do about it. Once she was up, there was no going back to sleep unless she passed out. Vaguely she wondered if texting a friend for a change of clothes was in order. It seemed a little shameful ... and technically she most likely wasn't leaving this room.

< Okay c'mon. >

Ami sighed. Junpei was right.

lividpeas
Text to Kat: Can you bring me a change of clothes from my house? The key is- unfortunately cliche- under the mat.

With the text sent, she set her phone down. Her hands went to her books, rearranging them. Suddenly her spine went rigid. It was 4 AM or so.

lividpeas
Text to Kat: ... Sorry. Nevermind. I didn't notice the time.

Well, mistakes were meant to be made. She could get clothes later, later. Always later.

---

It was late afternoon now. She still hadn't changed her clothes, finding herself wrapped in one of the texts Feng translated. It was a proverbial story, something about a dragon falling in love with a human- it was stupid and trivial, yet Ami curled herself around it regardless. It was absolute folly, but she wanted something like it. Maybe not the forbidden part, but the willingness to forfit everything.

An eyebrow rose as something strange happened. Some type of ... warrior (Feng's translated ... lacked continuity in some spots), had entered the picture. Ami quickly flipped through some pages, only to find it was some sort of sappy love triangle. Ancient Chinese sitcom?

Ami was done with this story. She wasn't going to force herself to read about love triangles. Not now. She still hadn't worked up the courage to Lex about anything at all. It was cowardly, yet ... she just needed the right time, and no time was ever perfect enough.

---

< Poetry is so duuuuUUUUMB. >

"It's not poetry. I'm just ..." In the comfort of her own home again, she'd found a corner of her bed to curl up in where she could write. It was poetry. It was totally and completely poetry. She had no escape. "Fine."

Gruffly she stood up and thumbed through her closet. < Wait. No. No no no no. You're not- >

"I am. There's nothing to do here. I have a whole library to do, Junpei."

< NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo- >

"Hush," she snapped. "I'm so close Jumpy."

< Junpei. >

"All of these different pieces keep talking about this ... this book. I can't figure it out. All I know is that it's about demons, and it's guarded somewhere." She blew her bangs out of her face.

< I don't get it. >

A roll of her eyes. "And you won't."

---

Somehow she found herself in the early morning- 2 AM? 3? Something like that. She didn't remember. She'd told Lex it was a night shift tonight- that kept him away. For some masochistic reason, she'd returned to the Chinese Twilight. Maybe she was just starved for fiction after long bouts of history.

How did she explain Adam? Did she even want to- no, no. Did she even have to? Maybe it would just disappear the longer she ignored it.

Lex didn't have to know. He wouldn't like that side of her anyways. It was pitiable. Unmarketable. Tears and depression- wasn't he encouraging her to move past all that? Stop turtling? Yes, it was time to forget it. No need to dredge it up from a ditch when it was buried in tar and mud. Even if it stuck in the dirt's side, it was unnoticeable to the average digger. Covered, forgotten. Fine.

She'd reached the end of the scroll. Bits had burned off, leaving the ending unknown. She was no more knowledgeable about the legendary book than she had been before.

The story was useless.