Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Name advice. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:35 pm
I kinda want my female name to reference JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

So I'm thinking Jolyne Joestar. Jolyne being the name of the daughter of Jotaro Kujo, the third JoJo, and Joestar being the last name of the first 2 JoJos, Jonathan Joestar and Joseph Joestar.

If not Joestar, the other options from the list of last names of JoJos are Giovana, Kujo, and Hikashigata (yeah, one JoJo did not have a syllable pronounceable as "Jo" in his last name for some reason). But I am not Italian or Japanese.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:07 pm
If that's what you want then go for it.  

XrosHeartless

Wrathful Shade

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:05 pm
XrosHeartless
I'm kind of wondering if "Joestar" sounds outlandish.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:39 pm
Bao Sanniang
XrosHeartless

a bit, yes. if you arent asian or italian then probably best to avoid names from those places imo, but if you have your heart set on a weird name then go for it  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:42 pm
Shanna66
Bao Sanniang
XrosHeartless

a bit, yes. if you arent asian or italian then probably best to avoid names from those places imo, but if you have your heart set on a weird name then go for it
Joestar is was the last name of a fictional British person, unless you're talking about his reboot version in which case it's the last name of an American.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:50 pm
Bao Sanniang
Shanna66
Bao Sanniang
XrosHeartless

Joestar is was the last name of a fictional British person, unless you're talking about his reboot version in which case it's the last name of an American.

ive never heard the name before and have no idea what its from so to me it sounds very strange  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:59 pm
Shanna66
Bao Sanniang
Shanna66
Bao Sanniang
XrosHeartless

ive never heard the name before and have no idea what its from so to me it sounds very strange
I see.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:05 am
Bao Sanniang
XrosHeartless

It does, but I thought that was kinda the point.  

XrosHeartless

Wrathful Shade

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:24 am
XrosHeartless
Bao Sanniang
XrosHeartless

It's not as outlandish as Moon Unit Zappa, Dweezil Zappa, or Chad Ocho Cinco. But still I want to be taken seriously.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:30 am
Bao Sanniang
XrosHeartless
Bao Sanniang
XrosHeartless

It's not as outlandish as Moon Unit Zappa, Dweezil Zappa, or Chad Ocho Cinco. But still I want to be taken seriously.
In that case you may want to pick something else.  

XrosHeartless

Wrathful Shade

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:16 pm
As someone who grew up with a name that's got a non-conventional spelling, I see "Jolyne" and immediately think how much of a pain in the a** it is to constantly have to spell out or pronounce your name for people. But, you chose your name, and I didn't choose mine, so that very well might make a difference.

If Zappa's kids are the standard you're using, then no, Joestar is not all that strange. razz For the average person, though, yes, it's kind of ridiculous. But if that doesn't bother you, then go for it. It's your name, and if you like it, great.

If you aren't Japanese, picking a Japanese name strikes me as being unwise, even more so if you don't speak or read the language. I'd honestly go with "Joestar" before choosing something like Hikashigata. "Giovana" sounds more innocuous to me, but I'm not Italian.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:44 pm
Taeryyn
As someone who grew up with a name that's got a non-conventional spelling, I see "Jolyne" and immediately think how much of a pain in the a** it is to constantly have to spell out or pronounce your name for people. But, you chose your name, and I didn't choose mine, so that very well might make a difference.

If Zappa's kids are the standard you're using, then no, Joestar is not all that strange. razz For the average person, though, yes, it's kind of ridiculous. But if that doesn't bother you, then go for it. It's your name, and if you like it, great.

If you aren't Japanese, picking a Japanese name strikes me as being unwise, even more so if you don't speak or read the language. I'd honestly go with "Joestar" before choosing something like Hikashigata. "Giovana" sounds more innocuous to me, but I'm not Italian.
I was basically saying the other JoJo last names as what I could have chosen instead of Joestar.  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

Koinu-tan

Hilarious Pup

3,700 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:14 pm
Joestar doesn't sound that weird to me, honestly. My last name is rather close to condom, so I can't judge. I've seen some out there names, and that's the least weird.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:17 pm
Nutty_ The Squirrell
Joestar doesn't sound that weird to me, honestly. My last name is rather close to condom, so I can't judge. I've seen some out there names, and that's the least weird.
Try having a French last name that is REALLY uncommon outside French speaking areas. gonk  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

Koinu-tan

Hilarious Pup

3,700 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:23 pm
Bao Sanniang
Try having a French last name that is REALLY uncommon outside French speaking areas. gonk

Do people butcher it all the time trying to say it?  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff