Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Guild's Main Forum - - [religion, spirituality, paranormal, metaphysics, etc]
Create your own tarot deck?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Naokimimi

Smitten Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:10 pm
I've had people tell me its possible to make your own deck. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about doing so.
Thank you in advance. cat_3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:23 am
I've only ever made the major arcana, meant to get around to the minor then lost the deck. basically if you wanted to do so try looking at interpretations of the card as well as varied readings of it. then plan out a image or images that will bring those aspects of the card to mind. Start simple and be open to many redesigns as inspiration hits you. As long as you are making your own deck the most important thing is that these cards should speak to you.
Some ideas on how to get started might include:
-- picking a theme (i.e. animals, gods, sigils, anything really)
-- start with what you know even if it is out of order
-- pay attention to the cards "feedback", When you look at the card what does it need that it doesn't have, what does it have that it would be better off without
-- start with cheap drafts before reaching the final copy (printer paper and pencil to allow for mistakes, don't draw a card and finalize it in the same day.
-- have fun smile

That is what advice I have to offer, and this is just based on my limited experience with drawing the cards. I hope this has been helpful  

oceantail

Naokimimi

Smitten Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:01 pm
oceantail
I've only ever made the major arcana, meant to get around to the minor then lost the deck. basically if you wanted to do so try looking at interpretations of the card as well as varied readings of it. then plan out a image or images that will bring those aspects of the card to mind. Start simple and be open to many redesigns as inspiration hits you. As long as you are making your own deck the most important thing is that these cards should speak to you.
Some ideas on how to get started might include:
-- picking a theme (i.e. animals, gods, sigils, anything really)
-- start with what you know even if it is out of order
-- pay attention to the cards "feedback", When you look at the card what does it need that it doesn't have, what does it have that it would be better off without
-- start with cheap drafts before reaching the final copy (printer paper and pencil to allow for mistakes, don't draw a card and finalize it in the same day.
-- have fun smile

That is what advice I have to offer, and this is just based on my limited experience with drawing the cards. I hope this has been helpful

It is very helpful, thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 pm
Naokimimi
I've had people tell me its possible to make your own deck. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about doing so.
Thank you in advance. cat_3nodding

If I may offer my own opinion on the matter...

If you haven't already, I would first advise that you take some classes on reading tarot, and study into what elements make up a tarot card and deck. There's a little bit more to it than just drawing a picture and giving it a definition. Every color has it's meaning, every item and object have their meaning, and the people(or animals) that go into the card all have their own meaning. It's pretty much like that saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

But, this is also not to discourage you. Actually, I would love to offer support in your endeavor. What all you put into a tarot deck isn't simply limited by what is considered the norm. Everything has its own meaning in tarot. A snake has a meaning, a cherry-tinted sky has a meaning, a dog has a meaning. Hey, you know that crusty, old penny in the bottom of the floor vent that no one can reach? Yep, it has a meaning too, lol. The trouble with making your own tarot, and easily the hardest part, is picking the theme and carefully selecting what goes into the picture of each card. Perhaps you're a die-hard horse and pony lover and you want a deck that appeals to that side of you. There's a theme. Then you have to go and research as much as possible, find out all about the different kinds of horses. Wild, domesticated, bred to race, bred for burden, mannerisms, likes, dislikes. Become an amateur horse expert if that's what it takes. Go into it knowing what horse and background speaks the best about the general concept of each card. In doing this as well, you wont have to make a user's manual for the end product. you'll already know what the cards say from all the research. You know you've got a bombin' deck when you can read the cards without having to think very hard on it. Then, the fun part, drafting the designs for the cards. Don't be discouraged if your first draft of designs aren't quite what you'd expected them to be. As an artist, I can't tell you how many times I've made several sketches of the same scene before I was finally pleased with it enough to finalize. I find that art tends to be a hit and miss. Sometimes, you draw something, and it's perfectly done. Other times.... it takes a few tries, followed by an ounce of frustration and five cups of premium coffee. X3

Like all good things in life that are hand made, there's all sorts of ways to go about it. And Diana knows there's a million and one shortcuts you could take. But it all boils down to the fact that the worth of your craft is relative to the effort you put into it. So, if you put a dime's worth of effort into it, it may not seem like a whole lot to you in the long run. But if you give it your all and pour your heart and soul into it, you'll come out on top with a priceless piece that you can not only appreciate, but will work with you well and resonate with your individual energy(so long as you take good care of it and give it plenty of love :3). Nothing says it has to be pretty in the eyes of the masses, you simply have to be happy with your accomplishment.

Hope I've helped, and have fun creating your own personalized tarot deck. :3  

Amethyst Shimmer

Formal Sex Symbol

10,100 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Married 100
  • Brandisher 100
The Guild's Main Forum - - [religion, spirituality, paranormal, metaphysics, etc]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games