[FIN] The Proud Supplicant (Petrovs & Marie) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:58 pm
Though there were many rooms in the lavish city-home, the twins' undisputed favorite - the one that they had unofficially claimed as their own - was the drawing room that opened into the garden. It boasted a pianoforte, several deliciously comfortable pieces of furniture, and the undeniable advantage of easy access for Sumerki. In the summer, the doors would remain open and the animals would flit between inside and out. However, in the depths of winter, Summer's heat was but a distant memory. Instead, the doe had settled herself on the rug beside Alexei's chair where the elder twin was indulging in yet another mysterious tome.

Anna, meanwhile, lounged on a chaise, humming a soft tune and spoiling her familiar with attention and little treats. Lior, of course, was dozing in her lap, soaking up the bright rays of sunlight filtering in through the window. In all, it was a typical, relaxing day in the household.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:36 am
It's really a very funny thing -- just over a fortnight ago the invitations had dutifully arrived for Marie's "casual get-together," a mere tea in the drawing room to lure the scholars in. It had included both of their names, though one can only imagine how reluctantly Marie penned that bit of the invitation .. But then not two days later another note had arrived with Marie's apologies; she had taken ill and would need to delay the little gathering for a time, and hoped that they would forgive her. Anna may feel that this is only to be expected, perhaps a tactic undertaken to avoid her, but for once that is not so. They will have no word from Marie for a time, nor will she appear at any of the usual society gatherings, and there are rumors that she must be ill, for she is not taking any of her usual lovers ..

But this afternoon she will come calling, and an elegant little square of pasteboard, pressed with a lacy design, will be offered to request admittance. As calling cards go, hers is surprisingly simple, and when it is given over to the servant she makes certain to impress upon him or her that she is requesting the attention of both the Petrov twins.  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 am
To say that Anna was intrigued would be an accurate assessment, though an incomplete one. The card that was presented and the words given by the butler conveyed Marie's requested audience accurately, but it was the man's personal impression that piqued her interest more acutely. He was too proper to speak ill of any guests, especially in front of the family, but he was also a good judge of character and intent. By reading his nuances and impressions, Anna could gauge the quality of the guest.

Having never met Marie before, the butler would have no predisposed notions of her to taint his opinion. Yet what did Anna find? Not an ounce of indigence or disdain for the little minx. He seemed to think her genuine. So, Anna was intrigued. Of course, she was also suspicious and mildly annoyed. It had been such a pleasant afternoon. She could only hope that their unexpected guest would not spoil the remainder.

The young lady shared a glance with her brother. As could only be expected, he had no objection to the visit. After all, he had no notion of the other woman's true designs on him.

"Show her in," she said, and the butler left them with a bow.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:35 pm
Indeed, this time there is very little that is arrogant or false about Marie, and even she feels oddly vulnerable, as if having found Aramis she has strung her heart gaily around his neck and allowed it to be seen by all who cross his path. Spending several days away from her usual luxuries and frippery has also given her at least a temporary sort of humility, though as the memory dulls this effect will surely fade.

But it is a surprisingly subdued young woman who will be showing into their drawing room, and if her dress this time is a month or two out of fashion, she feels that should perhaps be forgiven her. After all, the deep, dark color, a rich brown with golden trim, is an absolutely splendid backdrop for the contrasting colors of the Guardian fawn she carries gently in her arms. He is a tiny little thing, newly brought about, perhaps only two or three days old, and his presence makes plain the reason for her absence -- three weeks, almost exactly, from the time they saw her last. He is perfectly content held in her arms, his legs all folded under and his head resting in the crook of one arm; he does not seem to mind that she has tied a bow around his neck, although one end looks like he has been chewing on it a bit.

" .. I hope you shall forgive me," she says very softly, hardly daring to look at either of them. "For canceling the gathering from before; I was very much looking forward to it, but some things cannot be planned for."  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 pm
Sumerki was the first to react. Rising to her feet, she made her graceful way over to the little fawn nestled in his Chosen's arms. Although it was no secret that the doe was a bit of a snob when it came to other Guardians, she was not unfeeling. Even she had certain maternal instincts. Ever so gently, she sniffed at him. Whatever she found, she seemed satisfied.

"Not at all," said Alexei at last, still clearly taken aback at the sight, but not adverse to the reason for the cancellation. "I am certain that the gathering can be rescheduled, but this takes precedence."

Anna, meanwhile, was not entirely certain what to think. Every impression that she had ever made of Marie said that she would not make a good Chosen. She was self-centered, frivolous, and loose, amongst other less than redeeming characteristics. However, the Guardian in her arms said different. Besides that, if Anna was willing to think honestly about the situation, it was rather obvious that the woman standing before them was not the usual Marie. It was all very...curious.

"Do sit down," she said, gesturing to an unoccupied couch.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:29 pm
As Sumerki approached Marie held herself very still, aware that there is some import to this moment -- gently and carefully she lowers her prize down, so that the Guardians can sniff cautiously at one another. Little Aramis seems intrigued, but as yet unwilling to leave his Chosen's arms to investigate; he merely lays his head back down and watches Sumerki. When the other Guardian does not react with disapproval Marie breathes a tiny sigh of relief, offering Anna something surprisingly like a smile of thanks as she takes her seat on the couch.

The fawn is settled on her lap, and he curls into a little ball, plainly as happy as a fawn can be, content to remain in place. With the little one more clearly displayed in this fashion, Anna may have cause to note that the fawn, the ribbon around his neck, and the lady's dress all match exquisitely well -- she as, in other words, coordinated her attire to match her Guardian.

Perhaps she is not so changed after all.

"This is why, you see, I was so uncouth as to ask about how you had come across Sumerki, back at the garden party. I had begun to dream of him them, almost nightly, but I doubted what it meant." This is something of a confession for her, and she flushes for it, then shakes her head, tossing her curls about her face. "So I hope you will forgive me for that, too; I am usually not so blunt in my discourse."  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:33 pm
"Of course," Alexei said, as though there could be any question. He rarely held grudges, and never for anything so innocent as a few admittedly intrusive questions. "All is forgiven."

The little smile threw Anna off, but she quickly recovered...and noted the coordination. Of course, any lady who had a Guardian must surely coordinate her colors with his. She mentally scoffed, but there was no real scorn to it. Ironically, the sign that the old Marie was still there under this subdued, forthright young lady was a comfort. Not even a Guardian could cure Marie. Not this quickly.

Aranka fluffed her feathers and shifted from one foot to the other, eyeing the intruder like a queen would an insect. Anna smoothed her feathers. "Do tell us, my dear. Whatever had happened?"

"Yes. What can we do to help?"  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:11 am
For all that Marie is plainly shallow, as she sits there watching the twins she is gently rubbing the little fawn's ear, her hand cupped around his head with obvious affection. She very clearly adores him, and he just as clearly takes it as his due.

The questions make her flush, for the answers to the first are not flattering to her. Though she much prefers Alexei's question, courtesy demands that she give Anna at least a token response. "I thought the dreams my own folly, at first, until I could think of nothing else, and in short order .." She gestures to the little one in her lap with a little smile, as if that is the whole of the story. She is casual about it, breezing on to another topic before her vague story can be questioned; knowing what she does of Marie, Anna can perhaps imagine how utterly traumatic the experience might have been for someone like her.

"I suppose I should just like to know I am doing right by him; he seems to like the warm milk I have given him, and the sweet oats." Having turned gratefully to Alexei for this reply, her words seem to suggest that it is not information she craves at all. Someone at least has supplied her with the basic knowledge required for caring for any young thing, and Guardians are a hardy enough lot that he can survive whatever minor mistakes she might make. What she really wants is to be in the company of another who understands, to converse with someone who will forgive her for making much of the tiny thing, just as she will readily forgive them for speaking on their own Guardian. It is like being a parent, in a way, and seeking out the company of others who also have children.  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:20 pm
Though not a cruel person by nature, there was a part of Anna that was very feline. It would be a lie to say that she was not at all amused at the idea that Marie had to experience certain...hardships or even embarrassments in order to complete her ordeal and receive the blessing of a Guardian. Marie's reluctance to go into detail suggested that she had likely suffered from both on her little trip. Anna covered a little smile with her fan, but did not allow her mirth to show in her eyes.

"When he is this young, that will do nicely," Alexei said, content to talk shop, as it were, for as long as Marie might require. "Though when he gets older, you might consider adding greens to his diet. Sumerki particularly enjoys fruits and vegetables."

"What is his name?" Anna inquired, not unkindly. Her feelings for Marie might be less than amiable, but she had a weakness for animals - mystical or otherwise.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:12 pm
Marie is just as glad that Anna does not know the truth of it -- that she'd gotten lost in the wood, weeping and wailing and bemoaning the fact that she was going to die wearing pants .. and if she has her way, Anna will never, ever find out.

Ever.

The topic of the little one's name makes her blush, as she strokes his delicate little head, tracing the bold markings that line his face. "He is Aramis, after .. after a friend of mine, who passed when I was younger. He is so very bold, you see, that it reminds me of him." Even as she finishes speaking the little one seems to decide he has had enough of sitting still in her lap, and lurches to his feet, peeping insistently. She seems to know at once what he desires and sets him immediately upon the floor: once he is there he does not hesitate but lurches forward. He is still in the clumsy stage of his youth, but sets out determinedly to examine Sumerki, and will snuffle up and down her legs and peep demandingly at her unless she leans down so that he can look into her eyes and smell her breath.  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 pm
If she truly set her mind to it, it was likely that Anna would be able to dig up at least some information about Marie's little adventure. A lady had her resources, after all, and a little insurance against an enemy never hurt. Still, it did seem a bit cruel to go out of one's way just to make certain that said enemy would suffer. As of yet, Anna had no reason to completely ruin Marie's reputation. Of course, if the lady insisted upon hurting her brother, well, Anna could hardly be held accountable for whatever measures she might take. It was something to consider, at any rate. Time would tell if it would be worth the effort to unearth the details.

"It is a good name," she said, wondering why Marie seemed so self-conscious about it. She was not so low as to drag an innocent Guardian into her silent quarrel with his Chosen.

Sumerki, in turn, leaned down to sniff at the young fawn as soon as he approached her. The doe seemed quite fascinated by him - strange, as she usually wanted very little to do with other Guardians. Perhaps it was Aramis's youth that won her over. Or perhaps it was something else altogether. Alexei, for one, was intrigued.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:41 pm
The reason for Marie's embarrassment regarding the name will be easier to discover than the detailed story of Marie's adventures in obtaining her totem, ready to be bought at the price of a bit of gossip with someone who knows the history of the young Miss Tumbriel. It could perhaps also be understood by context, by the careful way in which Marie had spoken of him. She might as well have said, there was a boy and given a longing sigh. A 'friend' of hers, indeed -- more like someone she committed indiscretions with!

But if the little Guardian is indeed named after Marie's dead lover, he does not seem troubled by it, no more than he is bothered by his own youth. He is the sort of little fellow who, if someone called out 'Look! What a cute baby fawn!' and he happened to understand, would look from side to side to try and figure out where it was. It simply does not occur to him that he is a baby, or that he ought to behave as such.

Aramis snuffles at Sumerki, and seeming pleased by her scent comes closer yet. He himself smells as if he has recently been bathed, and there is even a faint hint of flowers -- for far be it for Marie to own anything but scented soap!

" .. thank you," says Marie, whose flush has begun to cool, and surprises herself by meaning it. "In the very least, I think it suits him. I hardly know what to do with him, at times; he does not seem to be afraid of anything. He tried to attack the carriage, when he first saw it, and only stopped when he saw the horses, and went about to fuss at them."  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 pm
"Well, I should think not." Alexei remarked. "It is all in the name. Guardian: a defender, a protector. I do not believe that he would be a prime example of his kind if he were not brave." He smiled at his own Guardian. "Sumerki certainly knows no fear."

"Though perhaps discretion can be taught as he grows," Anna added, perhaps realizing how terribly awkward it would be for a lady to have a charge who boldly attacked anything new or different. It would be a humorous sight, however, and Anna would not be very torn up about it if Aramis remained so bold. Such humility and responsibility might do young miss Marie some good.

Sumerki gave the little fawn a gentle nudge, seemingly intent on discovering his nature.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:27 pm
Alexei's comment seems to take poor Marie by surprise, as she was perhaps not expecting definitions with her condolences, but once she recovers from the shock the corners of her mouth twitch. Trust Alexei, of all people, to put it down to simple, logical definitions! It is enough to make her feel almost sorry for Sumerki. Anna's comment leaves her on easier ground, conversationally. "I do so hope," she agrees, even as Aramis squeaks indignantly at Sumerki, then paces back and forth in front of her, peeping every so often as if he is scolding the older Guardian. When he is through with this he sits down abruptly, looking up at her, and then stands just as suddenly, stomping clumsily away. There are Anna's skirts to sniff, and the rook to investigate, and perhaps furniture to nibble to see if it is any good for chewing.

" .. gracious," says Marie. "I do beg your pardon, Sumerki," she offers at all of this, in this instance torn between amusement and irritation. "You see? He is just terrible." She shakes her head as if Aramis is an unruly child, whose tempers will be tamed with time.  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:11 pm
Rather than taking the fawn's indignant squeaking, Sumerki snorted at him in a firm reprimand. Young ones were to listen to their elders, not mouth off at them. The doe eyed Marie with equal disapproval, as though it were her fault that her Guardian needed better manners. As the fawn was not tall enough to reach Aranka's perch, she would only ignore him. He was, after all, beneath her notice.

"He is young," Anna replied. "I would imagine that he needs a firm hand." Not too firm, of course. Gentility was equally important, especially with the young, but allowing him to run rough-shod all over the place would not do, either.

"I wish you more luck than I," Alexei added. He loved his doe dearly, but most of the time it was obvious that she was the one in charge. It had taken some time before he was able to assert himself firmly enough to make her listen. Most of the time, he did not bother. She usually comported herself as a lady, after all. He did not often need to intervene.  
❧ Roleplaying

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff