Submit

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:57 pm
Dog is one of those small white dogs with lots of allergies, including the ingredients in most dog treats. Unfortunately the dog also has bad breath... dental treats do help with the latter, but they also make allergies worse such that the dog is scratching at himself.

Suggestions?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:14 pm
Raw meaty bones. Poultry are generally the right size.

Bully sticks and antlers make for great natural chews as well.

You also may want to start brushing the dog's teeth (after getting a good cleaning from the vet)

~ Aki - Fairy ~

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 pm
Would help if you knew or had a general idea of what ingredients dog is allergic too. However as stated already, raw can be a good choice. Though some dogs DO still react to certain proteins. If you have no idea what the allergies are too, you could opt for something the dog has never been exposed to before. Like a bison bone. I have to warn you that beef/bison bones are very dense as with deer antlers and there is a risk of a tooth fracture. This can be costly to treat so I prefer to stick to bones that are softer (and when I say bones I do mean raw. Never feed cooked bones) Turkey necks, chicken wings etc. You can try giving large uncut carrots. Not AS abbrassive but still good. One good dental treat is greenies. This is one of very few to pass clinical trials and proven to be effective. Just as an FYI dentabones FAILED that test, and are supper fatning and full of fillers.

Brushing is probably your best bet. Grab an enzymatic canine toothpaste. I like to use an oral gel called PetzLife. and a soft toothbrush and brush your dog's teeth.

Chances are if the breath is bad, the oral health is aweful. Bacteria in his mouth are causing this smell and these bacteria will proliferate, spread, rot his teeth and even enter his blood stream. So if you know you will be too lazy/busy to brush then find some type chew that will work for you.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games