Submit

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:10 pm
My 5 year old gray female cat was diagnose with Jaundice and was put on Antibiotics and an Iron supplement almost 2 weeks ago (will be 2 weeks on Friday) for an Inflamed Liver and even though she is slowly getting better I would like to know if anyone else had this in their cat. If the Antibiotics dont clear it up we are doing a Thyroid test, a blood chemistry test, test for diabetes, ect. We already plan to spend alot of money on her if the medication doesnt work. But it seems her skin went from bright orange to a very light yellow right now and she is eating again.

here are my questions:
What can i feed her that will help with gaining her weight back and is grain free? I rather it be most so I can monitor how much she eats.

And what can I do to help her not get it again in the future?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:55 pm
When you say she had Jaundice. Do you mean to say she had fatty liver??
This is most common in overweight cats. When a cat stops eating they are at risk but it has to do with the way they metabolize their stored fat. An obese cat who stops eating is in big trouble. So maintaining a healthy weight is important and monitoring that the cat is indeed eating is important to which is best done by measuring and meal feeding.

As for getting weight back on. Acana (no canned available but moist food coming soon) Wellness makes a good canned. Taste of the Wild is not bad. Depends on your budget and what's available to you.

P.S it's a good idea to find something your cat REALLY likes...and keep it as a treat. So that if ever she gets stressed or stops eating for whatever reason you can use this to entice her to eat.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:21 pm
No she doesnt have Fatty Liver. The Vet said that her liver was inflamed from an infection. So he gave her Coromox (sp) I cant read the writing very well. She isnt/hasnt been over weight. Been a solid 9-10 pounds her whole life. All the cats are free feed since none have weight problems.

I will look into the brands you said but right now I have no access to a pet store. LOL car is dead. Does any of those have the patte? Its the only kind she will eat But as right now I have been feeding her organic baby food and some fish. But that doesnt have much fat in it.

And I will. She is a very picky cat so its hard to pick out what she likes.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:13 pm
Most of Wellness's canned foods are pate. The ones they have that aren't pate are fairly new formulas they came out with. And they are a high quality food too.

I know Taste of the Wild has canned food, but I've never seen it (the areas around here who sell Taste of the Wild don't sell their canned foods), so I have no idea if they have any pate or not.

Acana/Orijen (owned by the same company. Orijen is the best pet food in the market and worth it if you can afford it) doesn't have any canned foods yet because the manufacturer does not have the facilities to produce canned food and they refuse to have a different company/factory make the foods for them for best quality control. (I suggest you add water to the food for proper hydration, as with any dry foods you feed)

I hope your cat feels better soon.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces