Keina hid on the edge of the forest, her larger body burrowed between trees and shrubs. She’d been running around without Bakari again, and found out she rather liked it. Sailing between the trees, flying like a Goddess without wings….ah, nothing felt as good!

In fact, she sprang back to her paws and took off again. Without the eyes of peers on her, judging her every move, she felt free. Free to go back to what she had in the rogue lands. Every step pumped oxygen to her needy muscles, and with a mighty leap, she flew over a fallen log like it was a mere pebble. The act made her laugh; a laugh that was so bright and free it surely couldn't have come from her.

Where was she? Did she think that she could hide from him? Bakari’s trademark scowl was stuck in place as he scoured the Pride, ducking into every little Costumer’s hole and play to find his wayward mate. He rarely regretted taking time to himself, but now it seemed that it was more of a problem than an asset. What if Essien made his claim again? That got to him. Surely she wouldn't….No! He had to have more faith in her than that.

His paws had barely touched the edge of the forest when a large purple and teal blur sailed past him. The form skidded to a stop, and turn with more grace than she should have. With that smile, that light….she was absolutely the most beautiful creature he’d ever seen.

As soon as she’d seen Bakari, Keina had slammed on the breaks. She had expected him to reprimand her actions, but now she wasn’t so sure. Why was he looking at her like that? Like he….well, like he liked her? As far as she knew he only thought of her as a convenience; someone that filled his den and prevented him from having to find a mate on his own.

“Are you sick?” She questioned and bounced closer, her paws barely touching the ground at all. “You look like you’ve just seen a spirit.” Maybe he had; these woods weren’t entirely safe.

“I-I just…” Was he stammering? Surely not! He’d just never seen her smile like that. She’d always been subdued around him; gentle and happy, surely, but never excited. It was cute; not that he’d admit it! “I thought that you would have returned by now,” Bakari pouted. “What are you doing out here, anyway? You haven’t been with the Groundlings, have you?” That was all he needed.

He couldn’t help noticing that she was still bouncing, like she had a thousand things to do, and talking to him was at the bottom of her list. “You shouldn’t be out here by yourself. Something bad could happen to you, and then where would I be?”

He was lonely. It was as obvious as it was endearing. He truly had missed her, and the thought made her grin. Hate it or not, she was weaseling her way into his heart. “No, I haven’t. It’s just me, and I can assure you that I’ve been playing it safe.” She smiled, stepping a little closer to him.

“Remember when you met me? I was running through the trees like I am now. It’s something I’ve done since I was a cub. You really should try it sometime.” Keina was so close that she could feel his breath on her nose. “It might loosen you up some. Come on, try it with me.”

Before he could react, she licked his nose and bounced off.

Did she just-? Bakari was officially blushing, and for once he didn’t hate it. It made him feel…good. Wanted. “You were running around like a lunatic, and you want me to be one too? Maybe you really should be with the Groundlings, then. Or the Players, at least.” He grumbled, but despite it he gave a half smile. When she bounced away he took off after her.

At first she took it slow, testing the waters to make sure he would follow, but it became apparent fast that he was really going to have to give it his all. His legs were muscular, but a life of luxury had begun to melt it away. They started to burn fairly quickly, and he found himself huffing just to stay behind.

That and he kept tripping over every damn twig in the forest.

Keina couldn’t stop laughing. She truly hadn’t expected him to follow after her, and the knowledge that he was beginning to trust her judgment made her giddy. Her large paws maneuvered through the trees as easily as if she were a trained dancer.

She was so used to carrying her weight that it made it all the easier to push past her limits, to jump over stones and sail off through the forest to the very edge of the pride, in full view of a paw full of Guards.

Bakari found himself smiling ear to ear, despite his obvious discomfort. He was no athlete, and it showed. By the time he had caught up with Keina he was out of breath, limping, and clutching his chest. Still, when she turned around to give him a playful swipe, he found himself bouncing right back.

He didn’t even notice the Guards until he’d had her pinned to the ground.

She looked up at him, anxious for a moment that he would pull away and snap something ugly at the poor fools. When instead he just tilted his head toward them, and kept rough housing then she felt herself relax.

Keina reached up to n** his ear, dragging him down as she gained the upper hand. To run or to give him a beating? Being the merciful Noble Lady that she was, she gave him a swat and turned back towards the heart of the pride, a little sashay in her walk.

Bakari gave chase, and soon he was at her side, giving her a playful jab with his paw. It felt good to tease her, and have her smile instead of shirking away. In fact, it felt good to just have someone voluntarily want to be in his presence.

Oh yeah, he could get used to this.

(WC: 1045)