Quote:
User ImageLater in the evening, after Badoura had parted ways with one very concerned, very loyal and loving Sakhr, the dark pelted thrall sought out Miela. The purple maned female was a despondent sort, very unhappy with her lot in life - and Badoura hoped that by providing Miela with a family of her own to look after, well, maybe it would help lift her spirits.

The life of a thrall needed all the lifted spirits it could get.

"Miela," Badoura called softly as she approached the small, immaculate den that the thrall called home - one she shared with a few other thralls.

Quote:
User ImageMiela liked Badoura. She respected the other female very much, and enjoyed speaking with the gentle, laid back lioness. It made the days more passable, more bearable, and Miela could appreciate that .

"Badoura," Miela rose to her feet and shifted out of the shadows. The violet swirls that decorated her pelt seemed to shift and move with the slow, purposeful gesture. Miela offered Badoura a slight smile. It did not quite reach her eyes.

"What brings you out so late?" She was curious, really, but she supposed that she should feel lucky that some rampantly horny Reaver wasn't hunting her down for companionship.

Quote:
User ImageBadoura returned the smile, knowing that the action had come at a cost. Before Aesir's fall, there had been a glimmer of hope. Thrallborn children were given a chance at the Freeborn life. With Njal's rise to power - and Throgrim's tittering in the other lion's ear, well. It was no longer a tradition. The opportunity was gone.

It was an incredibly depressing thought, in all honesty.

"Walk with me, hmm? I have good news to share - news that might bring a more genuine smile to your face." Badoura wasn't too hopeful, but this would be a Good Thing for Miela, whether she knew it or not.

Quote:
User ImageAs the pair stepped forward, Miela gave Badoura an odd look. "Good news? Am I to be set free?" It was a self-mocking question. She knew that would not be the case. It really was the only good news she was interested in hearing, and Miela doubted that any news that Badoura gave would be the news she really wanted to hear.

At any rate, the odd look turned a bit curious as Miela waited for Badoura to continue. She knew that Badoura looked after the majority of the thralls that populated the pride, and found great satisfaction in finding proper homes for them where she could.

Quote:
User Image"Miela," Badoura began, intent on gently chiding the other lioness. She stopped herself, though. Instead, she merely shook her head and pressed on.

"I have found a home for you," she began softly, peering at Miela with a gleam of happiness in her eyes. "A good home, with a wife and a husband. They are quite dedicated, and you will live with them in a small den near their own."

Badoura gave a satisfied sound as she slowed her pace, so that she could glance up at the stars. The sky was truly beautiful from their elevation, and the thrall let out a soft sigh as she lowered her head so that she could peer at her fellow thrall.

Quote:
User ImageIt was a lucky thrall that lived to serve just one family. They were kept safe, and generally tended to live their lives without worry. There were many Reavers about that found pleasure in spending time with the unlucky, low ranked females in the pride. Miela had been one of those unlucky females. It had become just another duty to her.

All in all, it was good news to learn. Miela dipped her head in thanks before briefly shrugging her shoulders.

"I thank you, Badoura. You spend far too much time looking out for others."

Quote:
User Image"I am luckier than most," Badoura said softly, shaking her head. "Dalla is a kind lioness, and sometimes I think I am even luckier than she. Stuck in a marriage she does not want, living in the past the way she does." Badoura shrugged, looking saddened. "I only hope that perhaps someday she can come to an understanding with her husband - and that, perhaps, he will come to treat her with a little bit more compassion."

Badoura lifted her paw.

"You will belong to a male, named Sakhr, and his wife - Parmelia. Outlanders, both, and young. Friendly. Kind."

Quote:
User ImageMiela was silent until Badoura finished speaking.

"He will not wish to rut on me, will he?"

It was a legitimate worry for a female in the pride. It did not sound like it would be one of her duties, but it never hurt to ask, just to be on the safe side. Miela tried to smile at Badoura, to lighten the mood just slightly, but it wasn't a very good attempt. Her own mood was not feeling light, and so there wasn't much else for her to do.

Quote:
User ImageBadoura gave Miela a look. It was both sad and stern, but sometimes there came a point where one simply needed to stop feeling sorry for themselves. Miela was at that point in her existence.

"No." Badoura shook her head. Sakhr is very much in love with his wife - from what I could tell - and it is not something that you will have to worry about." She spoke the earnest truth. Sakhr would not be the type to take a saltwife.

"I will walk you back home. You will meet her tomorrow, at her den." She gave vague instructions to the other lioness as they walked.

"Good night, Miela."

Quote:
User ImageIt was likely a good thing that Miela could not hear Badoura's thoughts. It was entirely too likely that she would have lashed out at the other female. As far as Miela was concerned, she was justified in feeling so utterly down in the dumps. Maybe she'd had her own hopes and dreams in life. Find a nice male, a nice pride. Settle down. Raise a family.

Things that were highly unlikely to happen, now.

"I will be there early," Miela assured Badoura, dipping her head as the other lioness said her farewell. "And thank you, Badoura. For looking out for me."

She watched the other lioness leave before she entered her den, thoughts tumbling through her mind.