User Image

Makoto bounced onto her paws, splashing through the overgrowth while dodging her daughter's blows. Where had the time gone? Just the other day her little ones were mewling in the den with Shosana caring after them, and now they were grown. She growled and placed the flat of her paw on the side of the younger lioness' head, pushing her onto the ground with enough force to keep her there for a while. Although she hadn't intended to hurt the girl, it sent a flurry of panic in her that she tried hard to suppress. If Tsubaki was to guard the pride, she would have to bounce back from harder blows.

"Get to your feet!" She barked, looming over her daughter. "If I were the enemy you would have been dead by now." Or worse.

User Image

Tsubaki tried not to cry. Training was getting harder by the day, and every time it seemed like she was making great strides, her mother was always too eager to prove her wrong. She shook her head, and rose shakily to her feet. Why couldn't her legs stop wobbling? Was she that exhausted? And more importantly, when had it become daylight again? "Sorry, mother." She took a deep breath to steady herself.

The young Guard looked at the dark lioness; her mother, mentor, and rival. She had grown up in her mother's shadow, following her orders with docile obedience since she could walk, and it had paid off. She was now on the fast track to being a valuable member of society if she could just manage to stay on her paws.

She rolled her eyes with a huff. The girl was spent and anyone could see that, but her determination made Makoto proud. She really was her daughter. "Get cleaned up, and go get your sister. We'll do a little visiting with Ebere and her brood today." Even though she spoke lightly of the Consort, in her heart she knew that she would die for the Royal family. She had put her life on the line more than once, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again for her dear friend. "Maybe you'll even get to see Kyria again. I hear she's been asking after you." She teased.

Tsubaki tried not to groan, and it came out as a hissed wince. When her mother started to pad off to the river, she followed behind her, like always. "Mother...how do you let someone know you're not interested in them? In a romantic sense, that is?" She was hesitant to even speak it for obvious reasons. Her mother had told her since birth to stay close to Kyria and protect her from the dangers of the world. Now that they were practically grown, though, Tsubaki was being harassed daily to commit.

Makoto looked over her shoulder at her youngest. Out of the two, Tsubaki resembled their father more. Every time she looked into her eyes she was reminded of the striking lion who had made her put aside her hatred of males long enough to bare daughters. Thank the Gods above she hadn't had any sons, or this conversation might have been worse. "Have you tried telling her that you weren't interested?"

It was an unspoken concept between the two, but both knew of the female in question. That young, upstart, bratty Princess. Makoto shook her head. Ebere had her paws full with that one, and age had not tempered that wild spirit a bit. "Have you made it clear to her that you do not wish to further your relationship? Because so help me if I've found out that you've been leading her on..."

"Mother! I'm being serious!" Tsubaki rarely raised her voice, but she was truly desperate. "If I give into her demands, I'll be forced into a relationship, but if I don't I'll upset her. Not only that, but she's a Princess. What if I upset the Queen? Or her Consort?" What was she supposed to do?

Her mother could have handled this with grace. She was nothing, but pure muscle, with eyes so cold they could free the blood in your veins. There was nothing Makoto couldn't do, but she wasn't her mother. She was Tsubaki; a tall, slender girl who rarely spoke up unless commanded to do so. How could she possibly let her friend down?

"I can tell you right now that they'll be more upset if you go through with this than if you don't." She told the youngster point blank. "Their mothers, and mothers only want the best for their daughters, which means an honest relationship. If you don't love her, tell her, and move on." Of course, it wouldn't be as simple as that, but lies would do no good.

"Tell her that you are flattered, but you just aren't into her. If she's half as grown up as she thinks she is, she'll understand."

Tsubaki pouted and watched the ground pass as she walked. Kyria was going to cry; she just knew it. She always did when Tsubaki didn't give in. It would tear through her, and break her, but it had to happen. Her mother was right; she couldn't lie. Kyria deserved no less than the truth.

"What if I tell her and she hates me?" She asked in a small voice.

"Then she never really loved you at all." Makoto slowed so that she walked side by side her daughter. She dipped her large head to nuzzle the younger lioness. "I know you feel trapped right now, but the truth really can set you free, Tsu."

Tsubaki nodded and looked up, giving her mother her trademark smile. It wasn't because she was happy or even the least bit calm; it was just the face she gave when she had nothing else, but fear to show. A smile smoothed things over faster than a frown, anyway. "What do you think Shoshana will say? When she finds out that Kyria asked me to be her mate?"

Makoto chuckled. "Hell if I know! I mean, they are sisters, so who knows. She'll probably hide you in a whole until Kyria forgets you exist just to protect you." She nipped at her daughter's ear. "Take the evening off. If I see her, I'll tell her you went into the rogue lands."

Tsubaki's pale cheeks flushed. "Mother! You wouldn't!....would you?"

"Have faith, child." Makoto grinned. "Now go, before I change my mind!" She slapped the girls rump and laughed as she skittered off into the foliage. Honestly! She was way too young to have had that talk. What was next? Boys? Bah!

(WC: 1,102 )