Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Innova dog food

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akari_32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:03 pm
I'm curious to see what you guys all think of Innova foods. I have Bentley, our 12 week old jack russell/maltese mix on their puppy food and he really loves it. I'm happy with the ingredients, too.

But I've heard that some dogs find it hard to digest? We are in the process of switching Bentley over to it from Puppy Chow (what he came to us on...), so I was just wondering what sort of "warning" signs we should be looking for if it's hard for him to digest, as well as what you guys think about the brand in general.

What made me decide to use this food was a $10 off any size bag coupon from Pet Supermarket, making a 6 pound, Bentley-sized bag, just $6. Good price of you ask me! wink  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:03 pm
It's not hard to digest, but since it is calorie dense, too much can result in loose stool, gas, or diarrhea. Feed less than they recommend!

I'd say for a small dog at his age, he should be eating about 1/2 cup a day of Innova.  

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

Akari_32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:50 pm
Savage Destiny
It's not hard to digest, but since it is calorie dense, too much can result in loose stool, gas, or diarrhea. Feed less than they recommend!

I'd say for a small dog at his age, he should be eating about 1/2 cup a day of Innova.

I guess people are saying their dogs have trouble with it because its richer than most other foods? I dunno lol He is a little gassy, but like I said, we are switching in from a crap food to a really high quality one (Dog Food Analysis gives Innova Puppy 5 stars, and the others flavors 4 stars, except for one diet-type flavor, which got 3 http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/innova-dog-food-dry/ ), so it's a really big jump for his little tummy.

That's exactly what I've been feeding him, and he doesn't normally eat it all. Most of it, but not all. I figure because he's growing so fast (he's put on just over a pound in a week) I'd leave it at that for now. He doesn't have a problem with grazing all day (though I do, and I try to pick it up after 30 minutes or so) and leaving food in bowl at the end of the day.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:49 am
Akari_32
Savage Destiny

I guess people are saying their dogs have trouble with it because its richer than most other foods? I dunno lol He is a little gassy, but like I said, we are switching in from a crap food to a really high quality one (Dog Food Analysis gives Innova Puppy 5 stars, and the others flavors 4 stars, except for one diet-type flavor, which got 3 http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/innova-dog-food-dry/ ), so it's a really big jump for his little tummy.

That's exactly what I've been feeding him, and he doesn't normally eat it all. Most of it, but not all. I figure because he's growing so fast (he's put on just over a pound in a week) I'd leave it at that for now. He doesn't have a problem with grazing all day (though I do, and I try to pick it up after 30 minutes or so) and leaving food in bowl at the end of the day.

It's definitely not a bland diet, but I wouldn't say it's more rich than most other high quality foods. It's not exceptionally high in protein or fat. It's mostly the calorie density that gets people- you have to feed so much of a crappy food to meet calorie needs, and so little of a good food, it doesn't seem like "enough".  

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:32 am
Innova is now owned by P&G evil just saying. The rep for Champion in my region use to rep for Nutro and she said that when Mars bought the company, after about 2yrs she did notice changes in quality. So while Innova is a good food, I'm not really trusting of the quality and safety anymore. Also like with many foods, they have different levels of quality in the same brand. Evo is quite rich, but their reg diets I don't consider to be rich or hard to digest. Just be sure not to over feed cause they don't have filler.

If it's available to you, there is a brand of canned food called fruitables. They are suppose to come out with a formula specifically for transitioning foods but really any of their formulas make good supplements when trying new foods. Keep in mind your dog's digestive enzymes need a chance to adjust to the new food.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:06 pm
Gabby, they were supposedly under a contract not to change the formula for so many years, and I guess it's about to end. I have 20 pounds of the stuff (15 pound bag and 6 pound bag) so we'll be good for a whole. Once I see an change in it, he'll be going on something else. I wasn't to happy to read that :/

Savage, he eats a lil half of it, the. Asks to go out and poop. Poor dude lol he likes it though. Hopefully it doesn't change anytime soon!  

Akari_32

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff