Submit

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:17 pm
Apparently one of my mom's dogs has started to eat and drink constantly. She'll scarf down the entire bowl in one go. Usually they keep the bowl filled and the dogs graze as they please, but recently it's been impossible to keep it filled. Mom says she's also laying around a lot, but she's pooping and peeing regularly, from what she can tell. That she's having missteps when she walks, her hearing seems to be going, and she's having a hard time breathing. And she's gained a lot of weight in the past two weeks from eating constantly (my mom's cut that off, don't worry).

She's going to bring her to the vet this week, but any one have any idea what could be wrong? She's half chow, quarter beagle quarter jack russell and 9 years old. Her sister isn't having any of these problems.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:30 pm
could be Cushings disease, someone I knew had a dog that had it, they literally think they are starving, and eat constantly, IDK what else happens, I think their hair starts to grow constantly, or something, she was a cocker though, so I am not sure about that.  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Madame Morocco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:38 am
How old is your dog? It may be that her thyroid levels are extremely high. Animals with high levels eat and drink constantly and appear fine. When your mom takes her to the vet be sure that she asks to have a test done on your dog's thyroid. I had a dog who did the same thing and it turned out to be that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:29 pm
She's not on any medication is she?  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:49 pm
Phaea
How old is your dog? It may be that her thyroid levels are extremely high. Animals with high levels eat and drink constantly and appear fine. When your mom takes her to the vet be sure that she asks to have a test done on your dog's thyroid. I had a dog who did the same thing and it turned out to be that.

If it was the thyroid the dog wouldn't have gained weight after eating too much.

Cowgirl-with-heart
could be Cushings disease, someone I knew had a dog that had it, they literally think they are starving, and eat constantly, IDK what else happens, I think their hair starts to grow constantly, or something, she was a cocker though, so I am not sure about that.
Thins actually. They tend to look half bald, but usually the weight gain is primarily in their stomach. They kind of look like pigggies xd  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:03 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
First thing that came to my mind was diabetes... what do you think?  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

PantheaMarlon

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 pm
Well pregnancy is out of the question  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:20 am
Maybe an intestinal worm? From what I understand, dogs pig out but don't put on weight when they have a worm.

I unno. Just a thought.  

Azusanga

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:40 am
since she's put on weight, it probably isn't a thyroid problem or worms.. Also thyroid problem shouldn't be causing her to have a hard time breathing or walking.. So, it is most likely something else..

Definitely taking her to the vet is the best option to find out what it is rather than trying to guess at what it could be since it could be a number of things. I hope they figure out what it is and I hope she gets better soon.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:44 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Phaea

If it was the thyroid the dog wouldn't have gained weight after eating too much

Nope.. She would have lost weight instead.. My best friend's cat had an extremely hyperactive thyroid and he had lost a lot of weight and was always hungry. He had looked like they weren't feeding him at all, even though they were. He was also pretty lethargic. He was put on a medicine and he looks a lot better already! He also has a lot more energy. biggrin  

CrissAngelLover12345

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:10 pm
The only thing this reminds me of is my last dog Gabriel, who had a collapsing trachea. I'm not sure if it made his throat feel sore or something because of it, but he wolfed down water and food constantly if given the chance, even until he was ill. Of course, he obviously had issues breathing, too, especially after exercise. The combination led to lethargy/weight gain in him, as well. Obviously, other illnesses like diabetes can cause things like this instead, though. The vet visit is the right thing to do.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:28 pm
Talking to my mom now is pissing me off, lol.

Apparently they spent $600 on all sorts of tests to try to figure out what's wrong. The only answer they had was she's full of undigested food. And "dogs her age sometimes can't digest dry food" so now she's on wet food. I'm not satisfied with that answer, but I can't do much about it.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 am
I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with that answer either.. I would think that if she wasn't digesting the food, she shouldn't be gaining weight from it.. She should be losing weight instead.. I'd be finding me a different vet and trying to get to the bottom of the problem.. I do hope the vet is right and the wet food helps..  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games