Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Senior rattie*UPDATES* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should I do the surgery?
  Yes, she won't live much longer if you don't
  No, you will waste your money when she dies shortly after.
  OMG, I dunno!
View Results

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:45 pm
Aida had diarrhea again sad I'm fairly certain it's cause I put some treats in the cage but I thought only Blaze would be able to get them. Anyway, back to strictly oxbow and probiotics. Had to clean her bum twice today.

Every time she tries to scratch herself and can't reach because of that stupid tumor, or gets caught trying to get into the litter. My heart just breaks.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:35 pm
:< Poor thing. You're quite an amazing person though, do you know that? A lot of people would have given up hope already when they saw the tumor. You keep doing everything for her so she has good quality of life.

I certainly hope she starts feeling a bit better.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:07 pm
Kithy Kitty
:< Poor thing. You're quite an amazing person though, do you know that? A lot of people would have given up hope already when they saw the tumor. You keep doing everything for her so she has good quality of life.

I certainly hope she starts feeling a bit better.
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

I agree with this. You're such an awesome pet momma. I hope Aida feels better soon. sad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:41 pm
Thanks guys, I'm so not ready to lose her. This close to the holidays and with Rascal gone I just couldn't take that. Of course my family is trying to talk me out of it. Saying she's old and, she's reached her life expectancy etc etc. But she's still full of life and as long as she's willing to keep going I'm gonna do my best to keep her happy. For starters I need to find out how much it will cost to have it removed and what her chances are of surviving the surgery.

This morning was actually really scary. See...I have these slippers, the giant, teddy bear slippers. I gave to the rats to sleep in. Not only do they go in, they made a whole in the lining so that they can sleep in the stuffing. I saw movement in the slipper but she wasn't poking her head out. Finally it occured to me she might be stuck. So I pulled the whole over her head and she stumbled out and then went straight down the ladder, got in the litter box and just about collapsed. She lay flat on her belly face down. So of course the first thing going through my head is she's dying in front of me. I grab the water bottle assuming she is dehydrated from the diarrhea and offer it to her. She drank a lil. Offered her an almond, she took it and then put it down (Blaze switfly came and took it for her) It was a very scary moment seeing her sprawled out like that, no moving. But then she got up and started walking around. I let both the girls out of the cage and Aida went straight to her tunnels and seemed in a perfectly good mood. It was later brought to my attention that she was probably over heated. Which makes sense if she was actually stuck in that slipper with all that stuffing surrounding her. Still she sees very clumsy lately. She has more trouble scratching herself and getting up and down every day. I know I need to get her to a vet and discuss our options because I might have to make some tough decisions sooner than I thought.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I know I need to get her to a vet and discuss our options because I might have to make some tough decisions sooner than I thought.

Do your best and always do what's best for her (like I know you are). Only you will know when she is really ready.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:48 pm
Ok...despite being in debt almost 600 dollars now I bit my tongue and made Aida an appointment with an exotic vet at an exotic clinic. I'd still like to take her to my own clinic but...I just want to start by discussing my options with a vet who has lots of experience. IF they think she'd be a good candidate for surgery, then I will take their estimate over to my clinic so they can see what the anesthetic protocol is and follow it.

I heard from some connections that there is a hormone implant that can be used to treat tumors now. Apparently they almost always stop the growth of the tumor and in some cases will even shrink it. So this is an option I can ask about. Since Aida may be a much higher anesthetic risk. I have also heard that while many rats survive surgery okay...it's fairly common for them to catch something in the months following due to their immune system being depressed. And then die of THAT.

Then of course I'll bring up the diarrhea and...just see what if anything I can do to keep her comfortable.

My family is super unsupportive. They give me s**t about not spending money on my car and then ask if the dog REALLY needs to do physio. It just pisses me off, people's attitude that spending money on objects is a necessity and spending money to keep a living being healthy and comfortable is a waste. Honestly I spent most of today crying about my financial status. And then my brother basically bullied me into spending almost $100 bucks to extend my ipad warranty for another year. And he's all pissed at me for missing my rust proofing appointment this morning which would have been another $70. Off topic...  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:57 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Ok...despite being in debt almost 600 dollars now I bit my tongue and made Aida an appointment with an exotic vet at an exotic clinic. I'd still like to take her to my own clinic but...I just want to start by discussing my options with a vet who has lots of experience. IF they think she'd be a good candidate for surgery, then I will take their estimate over to my clinic so they can see what the anesthetic protocol is and follow it.

I heard from some connections that there is a hormone implant that can be used to treat tumors now. Apparently they almost always stop the growth of the tumor and in some cases will even shrink it. So this is an option I can ask about. Since Aida may be a much higher anesthetic risk. I have also heard that while many rats survive surgery okay...it's fairly common for them to catch something in the months following due to their immune system being depressed. And then die of THAT.

Then of course I'll bring up the diarrhea and...just see what if anything I can do to keep her comfortable.

My family is super unsupportive. They give me s**t about not spending money on my car and then ask if the dog REALLY needs to do physio. It just pisses me off, people's attitude that spending money on objects is a necessity and spending money to keep a living being healthy and comfortable is a waste. Honestly I spent most of today crying about my financial status. And then my brother basically bullied me into spending almost $100 bucks to extend my ipad warranty for another year. And he's all pissed at me for missing my rust proofing appointment this morning which would have been another $70. Off topic...
Honey... I understand completely. I live with my inlaws and we're rather strapped for cash as my husband's education at Le Cordon Bleu has given us nothing but debt, he can't find a job and my health is poor so I can't really work... the only difference is it is your money, you're working for it right? There's not much you can say though when you stay with family, especially parents >.<  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 pm
Another update on Aida's condition.

So I took her to an exotic vet today. He prescribed some sucralfate for her diarrhea and thinks she might also have an eye infection. It's odd cause there's no dust to be found near or in her cage. But I'll be starting her on some eye drops just as soon as I hear back from the vet if the one I have at home is okay. As for the tumor. Well he confirmed that it is highly unlikely that it's cancerous and he seems very confident that her prognosis is good and her anesthetic risk is still quite low. The price he gave me is better than I thought at only $350. So I'm going to start by trying to clear up her eyes and gastro and once she's as healthy as can be I'll schedule her for the surgery. I know I wanted to wait until it was really bothering her and she could probably go on a lil longer but at the rate it's growing she won't make it till christmas and...as he said honestly, it would have been easier had I done it when it was still small. So chances are by the time I make the appointment, it will be pretty big. I doubt she could go on like this more than 2-3 more weeks. So, I guess the time has come, so I'm praying that everything clears up quickly and she makes it through smoothly. I'm going to talk to my regular vet tomorrow about wether he can match or beat that price. I WAS able to find out what drugs they use and he calmed my fears on that by saying he would never use Dex on a rat which is what the teachers used and lead to the death in the lab rats. So the next step now is to talk to my boss and see if he'd be willing to match or beat that price. But I'm definitely getting this done. I'm still hopeful that Aida will see her 3rd xmas and birthday heart  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm
That's wonderful biggrin I'm so glad!!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:38 am
Kithy Kitty

Of course the next day I was talking to my teacher, because I'd been told she'd done tumor removals for staff rats in the past. Unfortunately she doesn't have time this semester. She offered to do it next semester but that is well over a month away. I don't think she has that long. But she was telling me how my rat is THREE (as if I didn't know) and is it really worth it, and how she could die 2 days later from myco.

I was like crying

I dunno what to believe anymore ya know. Dr. Gauvin seemed pretty confident that it was the right thing to do. And at the price he gave me, I can't imagine he would say that just to make money. They barely make ANY profit at all off rat surgeries.

Ok, so, I guess all that's left now is to email my boss and ask if he'd be willing to have a look at my estimate. If it comes out to be the same price as the exotic vet than, nothing against my clinic, but Ima take her to the vet with 30yr experience in exotic surgeries. If by chance I stand to save a hundred bucks or more, well then I think that would be worth doing it at my own clinic. Of course I want what's best for Aida, but keep in mind I have no money and this is going on my credit card.

She seems to be responding well to her meds. Her poops are more solid. So...the time to schedule her surgery is fast approaching.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:12 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Kithy Kitty

Of course the next day I was talking to my teacher, because I'd been told she'd done tumor removals for staff rats in the past. Unfortunately she doesn't have time this semester. She offered to do it next semester but that is well over a month away. I don't think she has that long. But she was telling me how my rat is THREE (as if I didn't know) and is it really worth it, and how she could die 2 days later from myco.

I was like crying

I dunno what to believe anymore ya know. Dr. Gauvin seemed pretty confident that it was the right thing to do. And at the price he gave me, I can't imagine he would say that just to make money. They barely make ANY profit at all off rat surgeries.

Ok, so, I guess all that's left now is to email my boss and ask if he'd be willing to have a look at my estimate. If it comes out to be the same price as the exotic vet than, nothing against my clinic, but Ima take her to the vet with 30yr experience in exotic surgeries. If by chance I stand to save a hundred bucks or more, well then I think that would be worth doing it at my own clinic. Of course I want what's best for Aida, but keep in mind I have no money and this is going on my credit card.

She seems to be responding well to her meds. Her poops are more solid. So...the time to schedule her surgery is fast approaching.
I suppose she's thinking that surgery may just stress her out more.

It's a really, really tough decision. Money aside, you need to look at how healthy she is otherwise and whether or not you think she will recover and have good quality of life after removing the tumor. Vets will do anything if they think you will pay them for it. I don't know your vet and it might not be the case. But having dealt with my share of emergency vets... I hate them.

The hardest thing is having an animal on a budget. If you can apply for CareCredit or see if the vet will work with you a bit like mine did for Nanaki's $1200 surgery, do it. Sometimes they want half upfront and the rest a week or so later.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:33 pm
Honestly, at first I was really torn, because shes older, there is a very real chance something could go bad. BUT, its you, you know how you would feel if you didnt try EVERYTHING for her, I know you would end up feeling horrible if you didnt do everything possible, maybe they would do a payment plan?  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:04 pm
Honestly... I don't really want to think about the money. Will it influence WHERE I get it done yes, I do want to save money if possible. But the actual decision of what to do with her, I don't want money to decide that. I want what is best for HER. I want her to live as long as possible while still comfortable. From what I've discussed with the vet. Pain management is their #1 goal. Because they don't make rat sized e-collars, they need to be sure she is not in any discomfort so she doesn't scratch, like etc her tumor. So it's not that the surgery itself will stress her out. The way I understand it, while her body is focused on healing, she may be at risk of catching a disease. THIS seems to be the biggest risk of doing the surgery. The surgery itself sounds pretty simple and easy.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:10 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Honestly... I don't really want to think about the money. Will it influence WHERE I get it done yes, I do want to save money if possible. But the actual decision of what to do with her, I don't want money to decide that. I want what is best for HER. I want her to live as long as possible while still comfortable. From what I've discussed with the vet. Pain management is their #1 goal. Because they don't make rat sized e-collars, they need to be sure she is not in any discomfort so she doesn't scratch, like etc her tumor. So it's not that the surgery itself will stress her out. The way I understand it, while her body is focused on healing, she may be at risk of catching a disease. THIS seems to be the biggest risk of doing the surgery. The surgery itself sounds pretty simple and easy.
See if you can tour where they would keep her after t he surgery.

When we got our newest kitten the city had him neutered at their selected facility (we actually found him, dropped him off at the shelter and decided to adopt him later that day) and when we got him from being neutered he ended up with a really bad kitty cold that nearly killed two of our cats. Their facility sucked.

If they won't let you back to see where they will be keeping her afterwards then I'd be a bit uneasy. How long does she have to stay at the vet office in recovery before you can take her home?  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:59 am
Kithy Kitty
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
See if you can tour where they would keep her after t he surgery.

When we got our newest kitten the city had him neutered at their selected facility (we actually found him, dropped him off at the shelter and decided to adopt him later that day) and when we got him from being neutered he ended up with a really bad kitty cold that nearly killed two of our cats. Their facility sucked.

If they won't let you back to see where they will be keeping her afterwards then I'd be a bit uneasy. How long does she have to stay at the vet office in recovery before you can take her home?

A friend of mine works there. The clinic was recommended to me by her and another animal health tech. I know it's a good clinic. I have read about the possibility of administering antibiotics in senior or immune comprimised rats after surgery. So I'll discuss that with him too. The thing is...I wana be there when they premix her. Which... Typically never happens unless you work there. I just, worry that if I drop her off. I may never see her alive again. I know it's a low risk but, it's still possible. So I wana be with her till she falls asleep. I know at my clinic they would let me do this. And I could stay with her while she wakes up too. I believe I can take her home later the same day.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff