Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Tales Series Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for "Tales of..." Series fans to discuss these amazing games and more. 

Tags: tales of, tales series, videogame 

Reply Archive
Why didn't we think that? *SPOILERS*

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

chrysanths

Devoted Friend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:37 am
A certain question has been plaguing me ever since I first took up my Gamecube controller and started to play Symphonia.

ToS, for me, was played second. First and foremost was my playthrough of Final Fantasy X, from which this game is often compared. In short, I could smell Cruxis corruption from a mile away.

This prior conceived notion may be an excuse as to my current beliefs, but please take me seriously.

===

When Symphonia begins, we are given a rather serious situation. Members of the organization, the Desians, walk upon the land freely. Most, if not all people are under a specific Ranch and Grand Cardinal's thumb. Living on borrowed time, with constant danger of being dragged off to a ranch, or killed on sight. They have literally destroyed any semblance of government or monarchy, a fact which is later given great mention to in it's sequel [Dawn of the New World, or Knight of Ratatosk].

We are led to believe that Iselia is different. They are protected for turning a blind eye to Forcystus' actions. In return for that, they are relatively unharmed. An act which is primarily focused on protecting the chosen of Mana. They never renege on the treaty - they never overstep their bounds. In a way, if you didn't "know better", you'd say they were even protecting Colette!

Haha. Wait, what?

In the Tower of Mana, this revelation comes across as something new and horrifying. To me, though, this felt like just a confirmation of what I already knew. Although, this has nothing to do with what I think, and more of what our characters were thinking.

They really honestly never analyzed these events in-game. At least before the revelation. That makes no sense at all.

Consider what I said about the Treaty and then the initial events of the game. A group of Renegades enter the village and kill a few Clergymen on their way to Colette, whom they assumed was at the chapel.

The fact that these are Renegades and not Desians is not relevant.

Pretend for a second that you are a member of Iselia. You know what the characters know by this point: Desians hate the Chosen. Desians hate and abuse humans in their Ranches. The Chosen is "fathered" by an angel and so therefore must go on a Journey of Regeneration, to restore Mana and banish the Desians.

Colette was essentially being protected by these Desians. Even on the journey itself - she would seek THEM out. There were no real attempts to murder her at that time. Not even abduction in order to keep her weak or stupid, or to keep her away from her responsibilities as Chosen. Which is what the common man believed yes?

Yet Forcystus, Yuan, and Kvar focused more on Lloyd in the grand scheme of things: a human orphan, raised by a dwarf. Remarkable Ex-sphere, yes, but not the only of it's kind.

So how come this was never brought up? Not even a small line from Lloyd or Genis: "Hey, Professor Sage. Don't you think it's strange how Designs have focused more on [me/Lloyd] than say, Colette? She is the Chosen of Mana after all."

Idgi.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 pm
I actually thought that a lot. I thought it was weird, too. lol  

blue carnal love

Daring Galaxy

10,625 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Daring Investigator 50

chrysanths

Devoted Friend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:16 pm
Jewel of Antares

Thank you. Forcystus' attack on Iselia proved he was more than capable of destroying the town and proving it's inhabitants weak. Why they never did that before, no one asks.
Iselia is relatively isolated, with the next town within a desert! If they wanted to kill everyone and leave no evidence, they could have.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:08 pm
chrysanths
Jewel of Antares

Thank you. Forcystus' attack on Iselia proved he was more than capable of destroying the town and proving it's inhabitants weak. Why they never did that before, no one asks.
Iselia is relatively isolated, with the next town within a desert! If they wanted to kill everyone and leave no evidence, they could have.

Actually, at that part, I just kind of figured Forcystus had some sense of justice, especially since everyone knows Lloyd isn't from Iselia. sweatdrop  

blue carnal love

Daring Galaxy

10,625 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50

chrysanths

Devoted Friend

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:01 am
Jewel of Antares
chrysanths
Jewel of Antares

Actually, at that part, I just kind of figured Forcystus had some sense of justice, especially since everyone knows Lloyd isn't from Iselia. sweatdrop

That example makes no sense. How does it mean he has a sense of justice?
He was the same man, whom back when the Kharlan tree was going berserk, was putting his own men in danger with the assumption that Mithos would save them. I dun get it.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:44 pm
chrysanths
Jewel of Antares
chrysanths
Jewel of Antares

That example makes no sense. How does it mean he has a sense of justice?
He was the same man, whom back when the Kharlan tree was going berserk, was putting his own men in danger with the assumption that Mithos would save them. I dun get it.

Keep in mind that throughout the game, I started to realize what you've posted in the intro thread. At the beginning, I just figured Forcystus wouldn't punish all the lives for Lloyd's actions, or he just wouldn't waste his time killing more people than he needed to. By the point where the Kharlan Tree went berserk, I already knew things were wonky.  

blue carnal love

Daring Galaxy

10,625 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50

sigma___xx

Tiny Bunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:07 am
maybe it has something to do with how forcystus was a war hero?
i mean, i know he killed a lot of humans, but maybe even a jerk like him understood how killing innocents for no purpose was meaningless.
even if they`re using humans to create exspheres, which eventually leads to their death, the desians seem to view it as a means to end instead of just pointless cruelty.

o3o

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:52 pm
I think I actually came across a skit that mentioned that....Maybe it was just a dream or something.... >.<  

CainLuciferCyrus

Shy Cutie-Pie

6,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Timid 100
  • Conversationalist 100

sigma___xx

Tiny Bunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:26 am
nope! there is a skit that mentions that! 3nodding
it`s right after you defeat him and go to dirk`s house. whee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:31 pm
kawaiidesu___xx
nope! there is a skit that mentions that! 3nodding
it`s right after you defeat him and go to dirk`s house. whee

This!

TBH as a spectator the only thing I was sorta surprised about was Kratos being Lloyd's father. And even that was hinted at and I was starting to get suspicious about who he was.  

Hallie Neko-chan

Adventuring Lionheart

11,275 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Invisibility 100
Archive

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items