Who ever said a quarter doesn't go far?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:07 pm
Greetings and Salutations everyone, just like that the NFL regular season is already 1/4 of the way done! Seems like only yesterday I was eagerly waiting for opening kick off in the Giants/Cowboys opening game. I haven't been able to watch any games this season due to my current living conditions, so I haven't been able to properly do my weekly articles like in previous seasons. But after going back and watching loads of highlights, reading tons of articles and reports there is definitely a lot to talk about.

1. Replacement Refs- The main story of the NFL season so far. I agree that they were doing a putrid job and I am happy that the regular refs are back at work, but lets not be too harsh on the replacements. Yes, a lot of bad calls were made, but even the normal refs make bad calls. The replacements were unfortunate to be placed under a closer eye and were subjected to more scrutiny because they were replacements. People were going to nit pick and call them out quicker than if they didn't know they were replacements to begin with. Bottom line, were they bad? That's an understatement, but they were under a lot of pressure and were going to be criticized more than the normal refs usually are because of the situation. I'm glad the normal refs are back, but I don't think the replacements deserved to be bashed as much as they were. Just my personal opinion on the matter.

Now on to a quarterly overview of each Division and how the teams have matched up. Starting East

AFC EAST- Three teams, (Jets, Bills, and Patriots) sit in a three way tie with a 2-2 record each. The Dolphins, though 1-3 could easily be a 3-1 team right now. Two overtime losses back to back really sting, but give rookie QB Tannehill credit, the Dolphins have been very competitive this season so far. The Jets are playing to where I expected them to play, (Though I did not see that 34-0 defeat coming yesterday) Bills defensively are terrible, giving up 48 points to the Jets and 52 to the Patriots, AFTER going into the 4th quarter tied at 21. Though 2-2 the Patriots are still a dangerous team, losing their two games by a combined 3 points. Besides the bills defensively and Tannehill performing better than I thought he would, the AFC East is pretty much what I expected to see so far.

AFC NORTH- I expected a close divisional race between the Ravens and Bengals, and that's what I'm getting so far with both teams at 3-1 (Though I expected to see a closer match up than a 44-13 loss in week 1 by the Bengals.) The Steelers, as I expected are getting older and playing sub-par to what we expected to see from them. They got an early bye this year and sit at a lowly 1-2 record. The Browns unfortunately are stinking up the division at 0-4. But I won't be too harsh on Cleveland, they have been competitve, and I expect to see some W's coming up. Unfortunately they may not come til after their bye week.

AFC SOUTH- Wow, was I wrong about this division, I seriously thought the Texans would regress back to a sub-par team and the Titans would win the South, so far it has been the Oposite. Not just with the Texans on top of their division, but on top of the entire AFC as their last remaining undefeated team. The Jaguars and Colts are playing at the level I thought they would, the Titans are making my pre-season predictions look bad. I thought they would at least be closer to the Texans in the divisional race. We'll have to see how things go from here. Luck is playing well for a rookie. Everyone is raving about RGIII, but I think Luck, when it's all said and done will end up with the better career. I feel really bad for Blaine Gabbert, so much potential, I was really pulling for him. But with a poor offensive line and supporting cast, he is turning into this decades David Carr.

AFC WEST- San Diego is sitting on top with a 3-1 record, but the Broncos are right on their heels at 2-2. The Chiefs and Raiders on the other hand are behind at 1-3. I expected Peyton Manning to come back and show a little rust at first, well we've seen the rust, but we've also seen that he still has what it takes to win. Down the stretch I expect Manning to return to proper form and surpass the Chargers, ultimately leaving San Diego out of the playoffs, and Norv Turner out of a job. KC is struggling more than I thought, and I expected them to be more competitive. The Raiders? Good Lord this team is playing terribly. Many Raider fans were waiting for the day when Al Davis no longer ran the team in hopes that new leadership will lead Oakland back to the promised land. So far... no dice.

Coming Soon, NFC run Down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 pm
cant wait for the NFC part! im not so shocked by the texans being so good but more by how bad the titans are. I really hoped they would have a good season this year and so far its been really up & down seems the only way they will improve is if CJ runs 200yards everygame sad . It is nice this season thouigh since it seems alot more even in the NFL as most teams are winning & losing randomly and not as many teams are standout dominating yet. Go falcons :p  

shrifty

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:26 pm
shrifty
cant wait for the NFC part! im not so shocked by the texans being so good but more by how bad the titans are. I really hoped they would have a good season this year and so far its been really up & down seems the only way they will improve is if CJ runs 200yards everygame sad . It is nice this season thouigh since it seems alot more even in the NFL as most teams are winning & losing randomly and not as many teams are standout dominating yet. Go falcons :p

I agree with you on the Titans, I assumed they would be better than this. Seems like if you are the Houston Texans and the Atlanta Falcons you have a free pass into the playoffs cause right now the rest of their division is so putrid that it would take divine intervention for them not to win their respective divisions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:04 pm
And now for my NFC summary through the first 4 games.

NFC EAST- There is winning ugly, then there are the Philadelphia Eagles. It boggles the mind how they could be 3-1 after turning the ball over so many times, and being outscored 83-66 through the first 4 games. But, ugly as it is they are 3-1 and on top of the NFC East after a big win over the Giants. The G-men are 0-2 in their division which has placed them dead last behind the Cowboys and Redskins. The Cowboys are another enigma as one day they will look legit, especially after a big victory over the defending Superbowl champions. Then lose in horrid ways, like Romo throwing 5 INT's against the Bears. The Redskins look like they did well grabbing RGIII, as he his looking like this years Cam Newton. But if he plays next year like this seasons Newton, then the Skins will be in trouble down the stretch. (More on Cam later) Overall the NFC East really doesn't look that great, so many problems and inconsistency across the board. But it will make the division race that much more interesting.

NFC SOUTH- If it weren't for the Atlanta Falcons being 4-0, I would say this is the worst division in the entire NFL. As part of my pre-season prediction I picked the Falcons to win the South and for the Saints to have an off year, what I didn't expect was the extreme these teams showed so far, I thought the Saints would at least be a little more competitive. But maybe I shouldn't be to harsh on the Saints since they lost their last two games by a combined 4 points. But I'm finding it difficult to see them making a full bounce back as the season progresses. The Panthers are also under performing, as I expected them to be more competitive than this. Instead Cam is suffering from a Sophmore slump and the team is suffering as a result. The Bucs continue to look like a big mess. Sure Eli is no slouch, but giving up over 500 passing yards to him, this team needs a HUGE overhaul, This team hasn't been competitive since they let John Gruden go, which right now seems like an eternity ago. At this point the Falcons might be able to wrap up their division by next week!

NFC NORTH- I'm not sure what the bigger surprise is, The Vikings or the Cardinals, but Minnesota has surprised everyone with their 3-1 start. But its still hard for me to say this team is legit when their 1 loss was to the 1-2 Colts, and they nearly blew it against the 1-3 Jaguars. Based on how the 49ers have played in their other games it looked like their loss to the Vikings was more of an off day for them, and the Lions, forget about them making the playoffs last year, they are 1-3 and are still showing major discipline issues. Last year it was the penalties, this year their special teams are just terrible. Take away the two scores the Vikings had on special teams and the Lions could have beaten them. Schwartz has the weapons, the pieces of the puzzle are all right there, he just doesn't know how to put it together. The Packers, yes they deserve to be 3-1 right now, but even if they were, this is a shell of the team that dominated the league last season. Either teams have figured out how to stop Aaron Rodgers, or he and the rest of the Packers offense never officially left pre-season mode. They need to wake up soon, because they still have to face the 4-0 Texans and 4-0 Cardinals before their bye week. The Bears, despite being 3-1 haven't really been talked about much. Then again when we look at the teams they beat so far, Colts, Rams and Cowboys, like the Vikings I'm not sure if they are good or just benefiting from a soft schedule so far. Green Bay still has the means to win this division, but where is the team that went 15-1 last year, and won the Superbowl the year before?

NFC WEST- Two years ago this division was the laughing stock of the entire NFL, the Seahawks won it with a dismal 7-9 record. But through the first 4 weeks of the season, dare I say this, but this division just might be the class of the entire league. Arizona has had the best record in the NFL over the last 13 regular season games going back to last year. Kolb is making a good case recently to remain the team's starter even if Skelton returns. The 49ers are about where I expected to see them. After the tough loss to Minnesota they exploded and demolished the Jets last week. At times we see Smith and the 49ers passing game showing signs of improvement, but through 4 weeks their passing game is ranked 30th in the NFL, which might come back and haunt them down the line. By the good graces of the replacement refs the Seahawks are 2-2. They should be 1-3, but that being said, defensively they are sound. Offensively they have issues. Pete Carroll and the Seahawks went 7-9 in their last two seasons, and it looks like they are on pace for another sub .500 mark. This could be the end for Carroll in Seattle. For the Rams, If it weren't for a near 3 point loss against the Redskins this team could be 3-1 right now. Fisher has made an immediate impact and they look to only get better as the season progress, but can they actually be competitive with the Cardinals and 49ers? Or will they end up battling it out with the Hawks for 3rd place?

First quarter of the season is done, A lot I expected and was able to predict so far, and as always there were quite a few surprises and things I didn't see coming. How will the next 4 weeks go? Will the surprise teams prove to be legit? Or will the bad teams bounce back and prove they are better than their records indicate? I can't wait to see how the season develops.

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

shrifty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:19 pm
Cookie Icer
shrifty

I agree with you on the Titans, I assumed they would be better than this. Seems like if you are the Houston Texans and the Atlanta Falcons you have a free pass into the playoffs cause right now the rest of their division is so putrid that it would take divine intervention for them not to win their respective divisions.

as long as the saints & patriots dont make playoffs ill be happy haha i want some different teams in the superbowls every superbowl its been two teams i cant stand usually thats why im liking how up&down every team is really this year. Problem is falcons dont know howto win a playoff game lol Does anyone else use this nfl guild anymore or they all gone silent? Loved how bad romo played against the bears 5 ints and got dragged for orton who played much better with the time he had haha  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:55 am
shrifty

as long as the saints & patriots dont make playoffs ill be happy haha i want some different teams in the superbowls every superbowl its been two teams i cant stand usually thats why im liking how up&down every team is really this year. Problem is falcons dont know howto win a playoff game lol Does anyone else use this nfl guild anymore or they all gone silent? Loved how bad romo played against the bears 5 ints and got dragged for orton who played much better with the time he had haha

I still have my money on a 49ers vs. Broncos Superbowl, though the Texans are looking like the dominant/team to beat in the AFC. I don't think you have to worry about the Saints, but even at 0-4 they are far from completely eliminated from playoff contention and can still turn things around. The Patriots aren't as good as they have been in recent seasons, but are still top dog in the AFC East as far as I'm concern, and are the favorites to win the division and return to the playoffs.

This is a down year for this guild. Usually it's more lively and active during the regular season. I normally post a weekly column following the action of the previous weekends action, however not being able to watch any games has hindered my ability to write as good of columns (Assuming they were good to begin with) as I have been able to write in previous seasons. But this doesn't mean others can step up and be active. I eagerly encourage everyone to post regularly and talk about any NFL related topic.

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

Sincerely Metalhead

Omnipresent Genius

6,125 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:11 pm
The Texans are scary good...I truly believe they could walk into Gillette Stadium and walk out with a win. I would not want to be the Kites...I mean, Jets, next week. As for my Ravens, pretty good this year, but how anyone loses to an Eagles team that turned it over 5 times is beyond me. Oh well, at least I know they have NO competition in their division this year. As for the NFC, absolute scramble this year. I truly believe the Falcons and 49ers are playing the NFC title, but it is still early. I have to remember AZ still in the mix, though I can't wait to see them TRULY tested.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 am
Silver Ace Revolver
The Texans are scary good...I truly believe they could walk into Gillette Stadium and walk out with a win. I would not want to be the Kites...I mean, Jets, next week. As for my Ravens, pretty good this year, but how anyone loses to an Eagles team that turned it over 5 times is beyond me. Oh well, at least I know they have NO competition in their division this year. As for the NFC, absolute scramble this year. I truly believe the Falcons and 49ers are playing the NFC title, but it is still early. I have to remember AZ still in the mix, though I can't wait to see them TRULY tested.

Are the Texans good, absolutely, they are much better than I thought they would be so far and it says a lot for them to be the last remaining undefeated team in the AFC. Would I say they are Scary Good? I wouldn't go that far yet. Lets take a look at the teams they've beaten so far.

Miami Dolphins- In week 1 they beat the 1-3 Dolphins, Miami haven't been good in a long time, and though they deserve some credit for currently having the #1 rushing defense in the league and are 5th in rushing. They are 19th overall in offensive passing yards and an even worse 30th in pass defense. A pass defense that bad against Matt Schaubb and Johnson, that spells easy win.

Jacksonville Jaguars- In week 2 they toppled a struggling Jaguars team also at 1-3. 31st overall in passing yards and 15th in the running. Defensively they are 21st against the Pass and 30th against the run. Another victory over a bismal 1-3 team that were terrible a year ago, that victory doesn't prove them to be scary.

Denver Broncos- The best win for them so far is defeating last years defending AFC West Champions led by the legendary Peyton Manning. They have a very solid team, and Peyton Manning is one of the top 10 QB's in passing yards so far. But this is still a 2-2 team that has many flaws. A great victory to help them in proving they are legit, but not enough for me.

Tennessee Titans- Yet another 1-3 team. Ranked 28th rushing, and 27th in both defensive passing and rushing. Beating the Titans as they are now is no measuring stick in determining one's greatness I'm afraid.

Once again, I'm not knocking on the Texans, they are a great team, but at this moment I'm not fully convinced that they are thee greatest team in the AFC and are the team to beat. They have a struggling 2-2 Jets team that's coming off a terrible 34-0 loss, then play Green Bay, which is still dangerous but not the same, dominant team they were a year ago. I'm looking forward to their game against Baltimore. If they can beat the Ravens in week 7 going into the bye, Especially if they do so at 7-0, I will fully agree with you and say they are scary good, AND declare them the team to beat in the AFC.

I'm not sure if you can say playing the Rams dictate "Truly Tested" But against them they gave up 9 sacks and lost horribly 17-3 after scoring over 20 points in each of their first 4 wins. Are they still in the mix? Yes, no doubt about it, But how they lost to the Rams has to make one wonder now...

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

Sincerely Metalhead

Omnipresent Genius

6,125 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:26 pm
Cookie Icer
Silver Ace Revolver

Are the Texans good, absolutely, they are much better than I thought they would be so far and it says a lot for them to be the last remaining undefeated team in the AFC. Would I say they are Scary Good? I wouldn't go that far yet. Lets take a look at the teams they've beaten so far.

Miami Dolphins- In week 1 they beat the 1-3 Dolphins, Miami haven't been good in a long time, and though they deserve some credit for currently having the #1 rushing defense in the league and are 5th in rushing. They are 19th overall in offensive passing yards and an even worse 30th in pass defense. A pass defense that bad against Matt Schaubb and Johnson, that spells easy win.

Jacksonville Jaguars- In week 2 they toppled a struggling Jaguars team also at 1-3. 31st overall in passing yards and 15th in the running. Defensively they are 21st against the Pass and 30th against the run. Another victory over a bismal 1-3 team that were terrible a year ago, that victory doesn't prove them to be scary.

Denver Broncos- The best win for them so far is defeating last years defending AFC West Champions led by the legendary Peyton Manning. They have a very solid team, and Peyton Manning is one of the top 10 QB's in passing yards so far. But this is still a 2-2 team that has many flaws. A great victory to help them in proving they are legit, but not enough for me.

Tennessee Titans- Yet another 1-3 team. Ranked 28th rushing, and 27th in both defensive passing and rushing. Beating the Titans as they are now is no measuring stick in determining one's greatness I'm afraid.

Once again, I'm not knocking on the Texans, they are a great team, but at this moment I'm not fully convinced that they are thee greatest team in the AFC and are the team to beat. They have a struggling 2-2 Jets team that's coming off a terrible 34-0 loss, then play Green Bay, which is still dangerous but not the same, dominant team they were a year ago. I'm looking forward to their game against Baltimore. If they can beat the Ravens in week 7 going into the bye, Especially if they do so at 7-0, I will fully agree with you and say they are scary good, AND declare them the team to beat in the AFC.

I'm not sure if you can say playing the Rams dictate "Truly Tested" But against them they gave up 9 sacks and lost horribly 17-3 after scoring over 20 points in each of their first 4 wins. Are they still in the mix? Yes, no doubt about it, But how they lost to the Rams has to make one wonder now...

The Rams have been good at home this year though. They are by no means great, but they definitely have something going for them.
The Texans are a dangerous team, and I know they haven't faced anyone major, but I still stand by what I said calling them scary good. If they beat Baltimore (I sure hope not), then I think the AFC will be aiming for bull meat. The Cardinals will be a good team in the playoffs, but not SB contenders. This season is shaping up to be a good one, through and through, though.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:29 pm
I'm glad to see that this guild is still alive if not quite so active as it's been in the past. I've been gone for quite some time so can't gripe about that lol.
I mostly just wanted to say hi to everyone and big WHO DAT for any other Saints fans. Can't count them out just yet. xd  

sylvie209

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:03 pm
sylvie209
I'm glad to see that this guild is still alive if not quite so active as it's been in the past. I've been gone for quite some time so can't gripe about that lol.
I mostly just wanted to say hi to everyone and big WHO DAT for any other Saints fans. Can't count them out just yet. xd

Hello Hello. At this point you can't count anybody out, even the winless Browns. Though highly unlikely, every team is still in it.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:36 pm
Cookie Icer
sylvie209

Hello Hello. At this point you can't count anybody out, even the winless Browns. Though highly unlikely, every team is still in it.

Poor Browns sad But you never know lol. Or so the Chargers are probably saying today. Love your Santa btw. I work retail so i get to experience the JOLLY BOOTS OF DOOM every year. xd  

sylvie209

Cookie Icer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:33 am
sylvie209
Cookie Icer
sylvie209

Poor Browns sad But you never know lol. Or so the Chargers are probably saying today. Love your Santa btw. I work retail so i get to experience the JOLLY BOOTS OF DOOM every year. xd

Officially I like to wait til at least half way through the regular season before I officially start my playoff watch. Sadly though as bad as the Chargers have been playing, they still lead the AFC West at the moment. Oh yeah, I've worked retail before, Worked for Wal-Mart during several Christmas shopping seasons and have had an old lady beat me over the head with her cane on black Friday because she was caught in the shopping craze and needed a victim. I still have nightmares about that.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:03 pm
Cookie Icer
sylvie209
Cookie Icer
sylvie209

Officially I like to wait til at least half way through the regular season before I officially start my playoff watch. Sadly though as bad as the Chargers have been playing, they still lead the AFC West at the moment. Oh yeah, I've worked retail before, Worked for Wal-Mart during several Christmas shopping seasons and have had an old lady beat me over the head with her cane on black Friday because she was caught in the shopping craze and needed a victim. I still have nightmares about that.

You're like the lion from the movie Madagascar. Haha! And yes, I am pretty sure the Browns and Saints are both out of it.  

Sincerely Metalhead

Omnipresent Genius

6,125 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
The NFL Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items