[FIN] Objections and Advice (Rajani & The Friedrichs) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:17 pm
It was but an hour or two past dawn - far too early for any respectable gypsy to be awake - and a cool northern wind was cutting down the river. Rajani sighed and leaned back against a stack of crates, staring at the ripples in the water without really seeing them. There was a reason she was awake so early, and she was not at all certain what to make of it. Of course, that was the problem. Very recently, she had received a job offer. This would not be a problem if it were in her usual line of work, and she would have turned him down flat if it were her previous occupation - she had mostly retired from burglary, you see. But this was no tavern owner in need of a good act, nor a greedy wretch after his enemy's jewels. This was something entirely different.

Kit Blackthorn was rich and a noble and that alone should have been enough for her to turn him down. However, he was also far too shrewd and cunning for anyone's good, and he was a bloody spy.

It was not as though he were asking anything terribly dangerous from her - not yet at least. She had a feeling that that could change very quickly. A slippery slope and all that. Indeed, he was asking very little. She went many places and heard many things. All he wanted was for her to keep her ears open for very specific information. He wanted to know anything and everything about the guardians, why they were back, and whether the increase in rumors of hedge witches meant anything.

It was simple, really. It was not as though he were asking her to uncover state secrets or anything. So why was she so torn? Did her subconscious pick up a bad sign from the man? Was he untrustworthy? Was the job too dangerous? Or was she just that suspicious? It seemed like things had only gotten more and more complicated since Oberon came into her life.

Frustrated, Rajani ran a hand through her long, silky hair.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:07 pm
When she runs her hand through her hair, she may discover that she is not alone: something rests just above her head, and reaching her hand up will cause her fingers to bump into it. It's soft, gently yielding to her touch, and feels of cloth -- not a living thing, which will hopefully keep her from startling too badly. When she looks, she'll find that it's a little plush doll, perhaps six inches tall and made out of fine fabrics with a pretty porcelain face: the sort of doll that noble girl-children are given for their birthing days, with fancy clothing that can be changed. This doll isn't wearing fancy clothing, though: it's wearing an outfit very much like what she wears day-to-day, and instead of perfect bouncy golden curls, this doll has long, thick brown hair with just enough wave to make it interesting.

The doll is attached to a string, the string is attached to a stick, and the stick is being held by a young man who is perched silently on the very top crate, where he is leaning down and looking at her with a completely shameless grin. "Damn." His voice is warm and cheerful, deep enough to place him in manhood, light enough that he still seems just a touch younger than he looks. The smile sits well on him, and if he's dressed a touch too elegantly for lounging around the docks, well .. most folk know the Friedrichs, and those that are wise know not to complain about where they choose to be.

In the dim light and without his brother beside him it's hard to tell which Friedrich this is, but where there's one the other can't be far behind: and sure enough, while she's busy looking up at First, Last has stepped up beside her and slides his arms around her waist like a long-lost lover. "I told him we couldn't scare you, but did he listen? Of course not. Hiya, Raj! We got you a present!"

The two men look as they always have: almost exactly alike, in dress and in manner, with the same unrepentant smiles that make their plainer looks seem charming, even handsome. Last -- with his arms around Rajani -- is keeping one eye open for her stalwart protectors, ready to duck should Hawthorn take offense and dive at him, or ready to dive behind Raj herself should Oberon charge him.  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:56 pm
When her hand brushed the unidentified object, she was indeed startled. However, the distinct lack of fuss from Hawthorn, who was perched on the mast of the nearest boat, kept her from reacting violently. Craning her neck upward, she identified the object - and its holder - and a sour look touched her mouth.

She really had been hoping to avoid them for a few days more at least. She would rather have straightened out her latest problem in her own mind before the boys decided to offer their own opinion on the matter. Oh, it might not be the first thing they mentioned, but she had little doubt as to why they were here. Despite the clandestine nature of spies, the gypsy would be shocked if they had not heard about her meeting by now. They had their fingers in too many pies not to know if it.

When a warm pair of arms snaked their way around her, she batted at the offending hands. "Quit that," she ordered Last. "And you call that a present? What am I? A little girl? I think I should be worried that you ordered a little doll which I assume is supposed to look like me."

It really was lucky for Last that Oberon was off getting spoiled by some of the sailors. The guardian did not like any of Rajani's suitors, but he especially hated it when they tried to touch her. Of course, he was not liable to be gone for very much longer, so it would be wise of the boys to be wary.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:12 pm
They know enough from experience to be careful with her, but the very danger of enraging Oberon and finding themselves speared on his antlers seems to spur them on as much as anything else. So though Last pulls his hands back, he can't resist getting in a little squeeze of her firm behind before he does so, only then dancing promptly out of reach before she can take her own revenge. Oberon isn't Rajani's only defense, after all: she's more than capable of expressing her displeasure .. as they well know!

"We didn't so much order it as find it." Last tells her with a grin, skipping back with his hands innocently held behind his head. First picks up where he left off, wriggling until he sits properly atop the crate, still wriggling and bouncing the doll on the end of its string. "And liberate it. And get new clothes for it. Only she sewed the clothes on. He checked."

Last gives her a cheeky look and a wink. "A bit of a disappointment, that."

"Kind of like hearing on the wind that you've been looking for work and haven't told your brothers that you're in need," First continues again, seamlessly; as laughingly as he says it, this is where the conversation undoubtably gets serious.  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 pm
Rajani hissed and made a grab for him, but the little bugger was too fast. Audacious brat! High above, Hawthorn cawed loudly and bated, glaring at the twins as though debating the likelihood of drawing blood.

"Just see if you won't pay for that, Last," she promised. However, she was too worn out to chase after him just then. Besides, she suspected he might enjoy that a little too much.

At their explanation, she fixed both of the boys with a flat look - difficult when they were not right next to each other, but not impossible.

"So not only do you acquire a child's toy for me, but you don't even bother to get a new one. Rather than concerned, I think I should be offended." She did not deign to reply to Last's bait.

Ah. And there it was. Didn't take them long to get to the point, did it?

"I'm afraid you've been horribly misinformed," she told First. "I've not been looking for work. In case the wind hasn't told you, I have plenty already."

She glanced sidelong at Last, and decided that it would be easiest to be moderately forthcoming...but what was the point in making it easy for them? If they were going to harass her before she had a chance to think things through properly, then they could bloody well spell out exactly what it was they wanted to harass her about.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:59 am
"Cor, and here we'd thought we'd get credit for thinking of you -- I mean, ain't she a beaut?" First lifts up the doll so that he can spin it slowly and look at it, head tilted; she's yet to insult or displease them. They've always admired and enjoyed her temper and her determination, and that hasn't changed with time.

"Most dolls have flowing locks of burnished gold," Last agrees, clearly quoting something, though the small gods know what, and certainly the imp will never tell. "How many have your much more beautiful curls?"

"She's rare," points out First.

"A collector's piece," agrees Last.

"You should take her as a good luck charm," First tells Rajani, as he slides off the pile of crates, until he stands side-by-side with his brother. On the ground, it may be easier for her to tell them apart, and in the past they've been pleased to be guessed aright: it is a sort of flattery to them, a compliment.

"Raj, you know we'd do nearly anything for you! If you're not needing work, why are you thinking about working for this bully nob?" Last almost sounds hurt, leaning over to untie the string from around the doll's waist while First holds her steady.

"You know he's just going to be like the rest: take, take, take, and keep everybody else down," First points out, and as the doll is freed, he holds her out to Rajani.  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:43 pm
Rajani frowned doubtfully at the doll, questioning the sanity of the twins. A lucky doll? Who had ever heard of such a thing? And for so sorry a reason as it supposedly being rare.

Unless they were particularly aware of their surroundings, the boys would not have noticed a certain absentee guardian stepping silently up behind them. Not until he snorted loudly in their ears, that is. He then pushed his way between them, flicking a disdainful ear in their direction on his way to stand beside Rajani. Somehow, his very non-human face managed to convey a very human expression of contemptuous warning.

The gypsy smiled indulgently at her guardian and rested a hand upon his back before sighing and addressing the boys. Oh, she had no need to guess them apart. It had been a very long time since there had been a need to resort to that. No, she knew well which was which. Not that it mattered much just then, since they were both determined to make her life difficult.

"It has nothing to do with what you will or won't do for me," she told them. "So you can keep that wounded pride of yours to yourselves. His offer simply made me curious." As though that were any explanation.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:11 pm
Though they're fair hands at standing silent on street-corners, watching for trouble, they aren't much used to four-legged sneaks -- and that loud snort has them jumping fair out of their skins! Unlike some, there's no shout or call of surprise, not even a stuttered curse; they merely bounce backwards, and it's only a second later that Rajani will be able to see their hands inch away from their pockets and belts, where presumably some sort of weapons are hidden. When they see that it's only Oberon, they scowl as one, smoothing their hands down their vests -- Last goes so far as to sullenly stick his hands in his pockets before recovering, pinning his gaze on Rajani once more.

And though she might worry about the likelihood of her little excuse holding water, unaccountably their eyes light up as if she's said precisely the right thing.

"We can't really fault you for that," mutters First, reaching out and setting the doll on the crate beside Rajani before getting quickly out of reach again.

"We're curious, too," agrees Last, hooking his hands behind his head and leaning back, eyes still on the gypsy. "I mean, what is he trying to accomplish? Who is he working for?"

"Nobble like that don't got the smarts to do it on his own," points out First, with a firm nod.

"Y'know, if you're curious enough, maybe you could work for him, and then come visit us sometimes, and tell us what it's been like." Last makes the offer casually, as if he isn't suggesting that Rajani play a double game -- working both this un-named noble and the brothers. It could be a lucrative ploy, if she's the stomach for it.  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:22 pm
Rajani's lips twitched at the fright Oberon gave them. Brats. A good scare did them good now and again, as long as they didn't hurt her guardian by mistake. All too soon, however, it was her turn to scowl. Last's ploy for casualness did not fool her in the least.

"Oh, so now you want me to be your double-agent?" She demanded. "Play both sides? Put myself in danger for your curiosity?" Not that she thought she would be in any real danger, but that was besides the point. It was the principle of the thing. "So much for caring about my safety."

Glad of any excuse to threaten his chosen's suitors, Oberon echoed her sentiment with a grunt and a firm stomp of the hoof.

The gypsy then leaned against her guardian and crossed her arms. "Of course, even if I do take the job, I doubt I'll be privy to his innermost secrets, so I've no idea what you hope to gain. Even if he's working for anyone, it would have to be another noble." She narrowed her eyes at him. "Just what is going through that scheming little head of yours, Last?"

Then, she rounded on First. "And don't be so quick to think they've no minds in their heads, First. Most might be worth less than sawdust, but this one was clever enough."

The doll remained on the crate, where Rajani studiously ignored it for the time being.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
They have the grace enough to wince at how quickly she's called them on their little game, but it doesn't deter them in the least -- their smiles hardly waver, and in fact slowly turn into grins. No matter how many times she does it, no matter that she's as mad as a old goat at them both, they can't help preening when she correctly identifies each one. It's a good thing that she's got Oberon with her; although it's a grand way to win an argument, it's just as often led to unwanted displays of affection on their part .. for all that they have never really tried to follow through with their flirtations.

"Aww, Raj," complains First. "You know we'd never let anything happen to you!" Though his voice is that of a bashful child, she knows him well enough to know that there's iron underneath the surface. The twins are peculiarly loyal, in their own hardened way: their friendship ensures that so long as she remains in the city, anyone who harms her doesn't live long enough to make the same mistake twice. She should have no doubt that they'd even go after a noble, no matter how dangerously foolish that would be.

"Anyway, if'n he's clever, all the more reason to find out the way he thinks, y'know? He may not talk to you, but he's gonna ask questions, right? And those questions'll tell you what he thinks about us." Last sounds a little more serious than his twin sib, going from laughing to thoughtful in the space of a heartbeat.

"Weird enough that he's asking in the first place, but we can't know what answers to feed him unless we know what he's asking." First slides more lazily into the more serious air, like someone reluctantly putting on a stiff formal jacket. He is completely nonchalant about faking information meant to go to Kris -- they intend to do this whether or not Rajani hops on board with them.  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:45 pm
"Yes, yes," she sighed and flapped a hand at First. "My big, strong protectors." Their loyalty warmed her, but she did hope that a situation arose where they would have to carry out their promise. The last thing she needed was for them to get themselves into trouble on her account.

Regardless, she could hardly fault Last's logic. She had wondered why the noble wanted to know about the more mystical side of Sunderland, but because her own curiosity coincided with his, she did not think too deeply about it. Perhaps she was not as devious as the twins. Or perhaps she was simply less suspicious. She frowned at the thought. Was she losing her edge? Was she going to turn into one of those soft, complacent ladies? She shuddered at the very idea. No, if things were going to play out like she suspected, then she would need to keep on her toes. Else she might end up dead.

Rajani tilted her head and considered First. "Aside from the general principle, why would you want to feed him information?" She gave no hint as to what she thought about misleading her potential future employer.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:42 am
Although it's First she's directed the question towards, it's Last that answers, as is often the case. Rajani has known them long enough now to know that there was a time when they practiced this -- the taking of turns in conversation with no impatience, as if they played a single role together -- but by this point in their lives, it's got to be so ingrained that neither really thinks about it anymore. "When nobs get interested in low folk, it always means trouble," Last points out, with a shake of his head. "It either means they're looking for somebody stirring up trouble .."

" .. or for somebody to stir up trouble for them, in some kind of nob argument." This is First, with a snort of amusement at the thought of nobs trying to be subtle in this way.

"And if they're looking for trouble," Last continues, "they'll find it. Whether or not it's there."

"Anyway, he's a nob. How long you think it's going to take for him to decide that if you know so much about where to find trouble, you might be a part of it?" Finally First sounds like he's caught the seriousness of the moment, and directs the comment earnestly towards Oberon as if he's trying to convince the Guardian of the need for Rajani to be suspicious of this other man.

The twins have never really known what to do with Oberon, other than avoid riling his anger: he'd been a funny enough joke when he was smaller, but now they obviously need to treat him with some amount of respect. But it's never been clear whether they realize what he is or how intelligent he is. They tend to treat him in whatever way suits their current motives, and as they need to convince Rajani of their point of view, it's best to address Oberon as if he, too, is a part of this conversation.  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:30 pm
"It still sounds to me like you're looking for trouble," Rajani told them. "But I suppose that's nothing new."

Although she was usually inclined to agree with the boys about such matters as these - really, how often were nobles actually honest or helpful - something about this particular accusation did not feel right. Oh, the spymaster was unsettling and irritatingly smug, to be sure, and he wore his nobility with a casual pride, but ironically, he did not strike her as dishonest. Of course, that probably made him all the more dangerous.

Then again, the whole thing made her nearly irritated enough to go along with the boys' plan just to spite the man. Luckily, she had a little more control than that. If she were going to do anything, it would be for a better reason than spite.

They had a point, though. There were certain things about herself that, if he chose to investigate, the spymaster might find a little...incriminating. Assuming he had not already investigated her. Given that he did not strike her as a fool, he probably had. Oh, yes. Getting involved with this mess would undoubtedly give her more trouble than she could ever want. A pity she was so curious.

"And just what would I get out of all of this, if I chose to go along with your little plan?"

As unclear as the twins' understanding of Oberon was, it was just as uncertain how much the guardian understood. Regardless of whether he understood words or intentions, it was obvious enough that Oberon was less than impressed with the idea of Rajani involving herself in these affairs.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:10 am
They smile a little at what seems to them to be a compliment -- that they're looking for trouble -- and then as one, cant their heads off to one side to give her their most charming looks. "Aw, Raj!" croons Last, "you know we'd do anything for you!" There's a touch of truth to it, no matter that the pair of them are trickier than a pair of alley cats; Rajani can probably demand favors or pay that few others would be able to get away with.

"Got a flat for you," offers First, straightening up with a grin. "To use while you're workin'. It's real nice. Even got a stable."

"It don't come with food, but we'll keep you in coin enough to buy all your meals, if you want." Last is now grinning, too, because this is no insignificant offer -- not only is it likely to be a cut above whatever Rajani can normally afford, if the twins are offering it to her it'll also be safe. It's likely they obtained the flat because someone owed them a favor, which means no one is likely to molest the tenant and risk their wrath. And if steady food and board isn't enough temptation, she can always demand more and likely get it -- unlike most, they seem to like it when she's fiery and bold with them.  

LoveByLetters

Precious Treasure

11,800 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nyx Argyros

Eloquent Muse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:47 pm
If they knew anything about her at all, it was that Rajani despised the thought of charity and she absolutely loathed the idea of depending on anyone for anything. So it was a surprisingly complicated thing, the idea of a permanent residence.

Thus far in her life, she had had no need of one. She had never stayed anywhere long enough to bother. Of course, cost was another matter. Rent could be expensive. Not to mention, she had been running long enough that she had never wanted to be tied down to one place. But this, well, this was something else entirely.

It was not as though she had enough worldly possessions that she needed a flat to keep them - though that might change if the boys kept insisting on getting her baubles. However, she would have a clean bed all to herself and space enough where no one else would tread. She would not have to worry about the money or anyone riffling through the place or someone trying to put a knife in her back. Security would doubtless be included.

Better still, if she was going to enjoy a flat, who better to supply it than her boys? They were clever and dangerous to their enemies, but for her, well, she did not think there were any hidden strings here.

As for meals, she made more than enough coin to keep herself fed, though her meals were usually supplied when she had a job regardless. However, a little extra income could never hurt. She was certain she could put it to good use.

"...does it have a kitchen?" she asked at last. She could not remember the last time she had cooked something that had not been a trail ration.

It was true that she could have asked for more. If it had been just about anyone else, she probably would have. However, she was not one to take advantage of those she was close to, even if they would willingly give in. Besides, they could always renegotiate later.  
❧ Roleplaying

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff