Parmelia had not seen her dearest friend as often as she'd have liked. She had to admit, it was her own fault. Having been caught up in tending to the den that she shared with Sakhr had taken all her time - was she a terrible friend for basically ditching out on her friend?

Probably.

Did she want to remedy it?

Absolutely.

After being thoroughly confused by finding Alouette's den empty, Parmelia hadn't known exactly where to look for the other lioness. After asking a few busy thralls if they'd seen her, Parmelia was given a few strange looks before one of the blasted creatures finally spouted off very vague instructions.

With a soft grunt, Parmelia kept her mouth shut and her eyes open until she reached the general vicinity of where Alouette was staying.

"Alouette? It's me, it's Parmelia. Alouette? Where are you? Al?"

Nothing. Parmelia kept walking, pausing now and again to call out for her friend.

At least ten minutes passed before Parmelia caught the sound of a strange noise floating on the air. It sounded like ... a pained moan? Perhaps a ... she couldn't place it. Another came, and another, and soon enough Parmelia was following the sounds until she pin pointed the exact location. The lioness paused. Pursed her lips as another moany-groan vibrated on the air.

They weren't sounds of pain. No, not by a long shot. The moans she heard? They were sounds of pleasure. Parmelia knew them well. After all, she was a married lioness now. The mere thought had her ear tips turning pinkish. When another moan rang out - this one decidedly female - Parmelia crept closer and called out, "Alouette?"

A soft rustle, quietly spoken words. And then, "Parmelia?"

Oh, Gods above. Parmelia cleared her throat.

"I'll wait out here."

A wise choice.

More quietly spoken words. Finally, "I'll be out soon. Just.. I need a minute."

An hour later Alouette finally made her way out of the den. Glancing briefly at her mortified friend, Alouette settled herself next to Parmelia with a low, satisfied purr.

"You really should have sent a thrall over first - it would have saved you some time. If I'd known you were coming," poor choice of words, that, "I'd have set aside time for you. You know that, Parmelia."

Alouette fell silent as a large, stormy-colored male filed out of the den. He gave a husky purr in her direction before ambling off. Parmelia watched, obviously traumatized.

"Well, I wasn't expecting to find you.. to .. to find you here! I went to your den and --"

"This is my den."

"-- and you weren't ... what do you mean, this is your den? You.. are.. who is that, by the way?" Parmelia didn't sound pleased.

"He is Grei," Alouette purred huskily, turning slightly to watch the retreating form of the large silvery lion.

"Grei?" Parmelia narrowed her eyes. "I've heard word of their return. They're not.. they're - Alouette, they're strange males, and I'd feel ever so much better if you just.. came home. To your own den. Tasnim's been swept away, too, and now this, I just don't know if I can handle it. This isn't a good place for you to be, I mean.. which Grei was that?"

Alouette shrugged and turned her golden gaze back to her best friend.

"I don't really know. They're just magnificent males - they've opened up a whole new world of spine-tingling wonder that I can't even form the words to describe it - and I know what I'm doing. I know what I agreed to, and it's the happiest I've ever been."

Alouette sniffed softly.

"Besides, it's not like you really care. You're all set up in your cozy home with Sakhr, and you didn't even know I was missing, did you?" Parmelia's expression was answer enough. Alouette gave a loud harrumph before lowering herself to her side, claws flexing.

"I do care, Alouette. You're my best friend. We've been through a lot. Since cubs, we've always had each other. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you - and I know Tasnim feels the same way."

No, she didn't really know that as she'd not really talked to Tasnim as of late, either. Gods, she was a terrible friend. Parmelia sighed.

"Sakhr is worried, too." No, he wasn't. "He asks about you often," he didn't, "but I've just been too busy to seek you out." Parmelia sighed again and watched Alouette bathe herself as she listened. Half-listened, really - Parmelia could tell that the other lioness's thoughts were elsewhere. She fell silent and waited for any sort of reaction.

Alouette took her time grooming her cheeks and paws before finally deigning to give Parmelia a little attention.

"I'm happy here. Besides, we can still visit. Nothing has changed aside from the fact that I've found an arrangement that makes me happy. It's not such a terrible thing. Isn't it enough that I'm finally happy? After all that we've been through and the sacrifices we've made to get where we are, and I'm happy. You're happy. Tasnim is happy, too, isn't she?" Quite frankly, Alouette had no idea. She hadn't talked to the small, soft-spoken lioness since shortly after their arrival.

Parmelia gave Alouette's words some thought. It wasn't an ideal situation - but if Alouette was happy, well. What else could be said about that? Nothing, really. Nothing could be said simply because Parmelia wanted nothing more than for Alouette to be happy. It's the reason they'd traveled so far, seeking a life that they couldn't have had back in their old homeland.

"You promise you're happy?"

"Of course. Don't I look it?"

Parmelia laughed softly. "You do."

"Then be happy for me? It's all I ask. Well. That and if you wish to visit, send a thrall next time."

A pause; they both burst into laughter.

"I will, I will." Parmelia rose to her feet. "I should get back."

Alouette purred softly. "I love you, Parm. You've always been more like a sister."

Parmelia leaned in and nuzzled Alouette's cheek. "I love you too. Come by soon. I miss you."

"I will. I promise." She rose to her feet as Parmelia turned to leave. Once Parmelia was out of sight, Alouette retired to her den. Things would need cleaning before any of the Grei returned.

Quote:
WC: 1067