So this was the Suka’Fumo- Joka had heard of the place from a friend. They had said that it was a place where purple fur was something to be admired and respected. While he didn’t care much about anything like that, he was still interested in seeing what the place had to offer. Maybe, if purple was respected, he wouldn’t have to worry about other lions trying to kick the s**t out of him all the time. He didn’t seem to go long without getting into some kind of fight, the various scars all over his body proof enough of that. But he didn’t LIKE to fight. It just kind of happened from time to time. Some wild punk would come up to him and challenge him for his area of the rogue lands. And, because he wasn’t particularly large or strong, they would win. It wasn’t fair.

And he was tired of it.

Finding a place where he could have a fresh start was more than he could have hoped for. So he had been thrilled when his friend had told him about the entertainment pride. Thrilled, but skeptic. Could it really be real? Or maybe it was just another trick played against him to get him to leave the nice little area he had found for himself. Not that the last home had been that nice, in all honesty. It had been muddy and dead, with no decent shade or living trees for shade. He was glad to be away from it. The dirty lion continued forward, moving deeper through the forest until he emerged in a clearing of sorts. Suddenly, it seemed like there were lions everywhere, or all colors and sizes. They weren’t fighting one another for a cave or some other place to sleep- they were laughing and living together. Was this what it meant to have a pride. Tilting his head curiously to one side, he took a few hesitant steps deeper into the clearing. There were purple coats, he could see them already.

So was it true?

“Hello, good sir,” said a pleasant voice off to one side, the male instantly turning his head towards the sound. It was some pink lioness, smiling warmly at him and… bowing her head? He blinked.

“So it’s true… this pride does respect purple coats, doesn’t it?” The male asked softly, almost unsure of how to ask the question. The female looked at him, offering him a happy sort of smile. Though he was used to most smiles hiding some kind of evil intent, he wasn’t put off by the way she was looking at him. It was clear to him that she didn’t mean any harm. Good, because he would probably still lose to a female.

“Yes, we have a higher class reserved just for those who are purple. I think you would find it a very nice place to be.” She smiled at him, sitting herself down as she observed his nervous motions. “Don’t be frightened,” she added after a moment, “you’re among friends here.”

“What about you?” he asked suddenly, “you’re not purple at all- so do the higher ups hate you? Beat you up and take your food?” She laughed at him for that, but he tried not to let it get his blood boiling. Clearly she just thought it was a funny comment.

“No, my dear, no one is mistreated. While some of the older lions are a bit… stuffy, the king here does not tolerate any kind of abuse…. You’re kind of use to that kind of thing, I see. Were you often attacked in the rogue lands?”

“Y-yes… I….” Joka looked down, frowning.

“Don’t worry, we’re not going to hurt you here. You’re in a very good position! As long as you don’t try to hurt us in return, I think this could be a very good home for you. Please, feel free to look around if you don’t agree. There’s no obligation, I just… want to see lions feeling safe. I know what it’s like to live in fear outside of a pride.”

“You weren’t in a pride all your life?”

“No, I joined here not that long ago, and I couldn’t consider anywhere else home,” she smiled warmly, “my name is Melda, by the way, I suppose I should have introduced myself sooner. I didn’t mean to startle you.” She watched as he sat himself down, his nerves slowly starting to melt away from him. That was probably her favorite part about meeting new people- watching them slowly come to relax and feel comfortable with her. He offered the slightest of smiles, his ears glued flat to the top of his head.

“It’s alright, I wasn’t startled… my name is Joka. This place does seem really cool. I mean, I’m not used to prides or anything like that. I’m kind of worried about messing things up, you know?” He knew she probably understood. If she had been new once, then maybe she had felt the same thing. Her kind smile assured him that she knew exactly what he meant.

“You have an advantage, so you shouldn’t be afraid. Even if you don’t join, no one will mistreat you in your stay here. Look around- see how the others look at you. I’m sure you’ll be surprised to find how different it is than being out where there are no pride boundaries.” She nodded her head, getting slowly back to her paws. “I will leave you to have your exploration, but you can find me around here if you have any questions.” She smiled and watched him, aware that he was a very different sort from the others who had joined the pride. She had never met a male who was so… timid. Even her son, who had not been the most outgoing, seemed braver than this one. Not that she held it against him.

“Thank you, Melda,” Joka said lightly, “I’m happy you decided to help me! You’re very nice. I will look around, just to, you know, check things out. Never know, right?” He knew, even if he didn’t say it out loud.

He had found his home.