Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Etsy Showoffs~

Back to Guilds

A meeting place for Etsy sellers, and buyers to make connections. 

Tags: Etsy, crafts, online sellers, creative, shop 

Reply ~Etsy Showoffs~
Starting up an Etsy shop questions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it hard running an etsy shop?
  Yup!
  Not really
  I don't have one :D
View Results

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

Friendly Wench

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:51 pm
So I'm currently unemployed and need some cash! I'm sure some of you know what that's like. rolleyes
So I'm thinking about opening up an Etsy shop, but here's the thing , I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm not particularly good at anything as far as I know, but let's say that I am. How do I go about getting my name out there? Does Etsy charge anything? And how do I go about shipping? Thanks for any and all help!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:21 am
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
So I'm currently unemployed and need some cash! I'm sure some of you know what that's like. rolleyes
So I'm thinking about opening up an Etsy shop, but here's the thing , I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm not particularly good at anything as far as I know, but let's say that I am. How do I go about getting my name out there? Does Etsy charge anything? And how do I go about shipping? Thanks for any and all help!

Hi, Etsy is a great way to earn some money as soon as you can get traffic into your shop and you start selling. since your at home and have ooodels of hours you can give your new business a good head start. I go to anime conventions but before that I have an investment of at least $500.00 just for the table plus if I travel I have to add other expenses. I sell way more on conventions than my Etsy.

Etsy will charge you .20 cents per item listed but they will not charge you right away. I take months to pay my Etsy shop and now I have 50 items for sale. $10.00 is soooo much better than anything out there. After you make a sale then I think there is a 3.5% charge for making the sale. If you use a credit card swipe thing this will be charge also. You also have to concider paying paypal another 3 or 3.5% so always make sure you price your items enough for your business to be successful.

Etsy has other ways to draw in business and I think that is $7.00 I personally have not tried this. There is so much to say, let me know if I can help you with anything.  

spoofete

Sparkly Explorer

12,350 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Prayer Circle 200

aufdeutsch

Friendly Entrepreneur

6,600 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:04 pm
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

spoofete covered most things, but yes, there is a fee. 20 cents per item listed, however if you have multiples it will only charge you the 20 cents up front and then when it sells it will "auto-renew" your item and then charge you 20 cents again. Etsy bills need to be paid by the 15th of each month (so september's bill would be paid by October 15th).

With shipping, be sure to charge enough to cover shipping the item and your packaging. Only sell overseas if you want to, it's not a requirement. But it does get expensive to ship things to Australia, the UK, Italy, etc. I tend to use padded envelopes to mail my things which I buy at Office Depot/Office Max in packs of 10. You can choose to send things out either first class or Priority (first class tends to be a little less than Priority). Give yourself a window of a few days to get an item packed up and ready to ship, unless it's something that only needs a stamp and can go out with the regular mail.

I run an etsy thread to get your shop name out there (we're a friendly bunch!) and having it in your signature here on gaia will help. If you have a tumblr, blogger, etc be sure to post about it there or on twitter. Social media is your friend! Sometimes websites will pick up on an item you have (I had a pony website pick up my Fluttershy apron) and it'll help drive attention to your shop as well.

Etsy shops do take work, so be sure you have the will to sometimes make the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Hope this helps!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:21 pm
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

How is your Etsy so far?  

spoofete

Sparkly Explorer

12,350 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Prayer Circle 200

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

Friendly Wench

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:12 pm
spoofete
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

How is your Etsy so far?

Still in the beginning stages. I want to make sure I am properly stocked and have AT least thirty items before I even bother.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:59 pm
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
spoofete
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

How is your Etsy so far?

Still in the beginning stages. I want to make sure I am properly stocked and have AT least thirty items before I even bother.

A good time for people to buy is now, I would not want you to miss out on some sales.  

spoofete

Sparkly Explorer

12,350 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Prayer Circle 200

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

Friendly Wench

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:30 am
spoofete

emotion_facepalm Oh Lord, the holidays ! I forgot all about them! I'm seriously going to have to put my stuff up.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:46 am
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
spoofete

emotion_facepalm Oh Lord, the holidays ! I forgot all about them! I'm seriously going to have to put my stuff up.

Try to get a lot of your stuff up this week yet. Black Friday is this Friday, but Cyber Monday has a lot of people trolling the internet for good deals/interesting things. Even if you don't get everything up right away, some items are better than no items!  

aufdeutsch

Friendly Entrepreneur

6,600 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
~Etsy Showoffs~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items