Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Classrooms } ---------------- Classes/ Open Classes/ EXAMS ARE HERE
[Exam] You're a Reaper Sparrow (Sparrow) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Crew

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:26 pm
7 am, the who hoot would arrive with a package for A Mr. Heartreed. Reaper dorms. Amityville Academy. It was sealed with wax and carried the insignia of the school he attended. Inside the package was a book, a list, a location, and a simple note.

'Turn to page 394'

The book was 'The Art of Reaping in the Arts'. The page in question referred to the humans fear of the primordial, and how reapers often worked with monsters to achieve optimum results. The most notable example was the 'curse of the werewolf' act, where a reaper would 'curse' a human who would then revile themselves to be a werewolf. It also noted how in the past reapers treated their monster and demon allies poorly, resulting in much distrust between the races when it came to scaring in the human film community.

What did it mean? Hard to say just yet. The list asked for everyday items. Makeup, scissors (or a knife), some paint, (any color), and one 'heavily scented' item of choice.

Once gathered Sparrow was to arrive in the theater by no later than noon. Once there, the instructor looked up, closed the book he was reading and stared down at the reaper.
"I've been expecting you Mr. Heartreed."

Silence.

Motioning for the student to join him on stage, the demon opened and shut his pocket watch with a smile. "Are you ready to take your HEL Exam?"  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:36 pm
It was here.

Finally here.

With a great deal of anticipation, Sparrow pulled the note free from the minipet (after giving it a very odd and mildly bemused look indeed), tucked the book under his arm, and slipped a knife beneath the wax seal and pulling the parchment free from the envelope.

'Turn to page 394.'

Curiously, Sparrow examined the book, which looked to be some sort of textbook, and sat down at the edge of his bed, flipping through the pages until he found 394. After scanning over the printed text carefully (which took him longer than he had expected), he pulled out the list, which had a variety of items noted down - some of which he didn't quite have and had to go and borrow from Wren (such as the makeup).

When he arrived at the theater at precisely twelve o'clock, the professor in question was already there, and Sparrow stood rather nervously in front of him, waiting until he was beckoned forward to step onto the stage. His shoes made clicking sounds on the glossy hardwood floor, and once he was in place, he pushed his shoulders back and lifted his chin, smiling.

"I'm ready, yes, sir."

istoleyurvamps

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Crew

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 pm
"Are you? That attitude tells me you're being cocky. That you are not ready for what the future holds." A tap of his own shoes echoed in the theater as the demon pulled out a few sheets of paper and handed them off to Sparrow. "I want you to write me an essay on what it means to be a reaper." Red eye bore into the reaper with the faintest hint of judgment.
"From what I understand your skills in the mediocre are rather impressive, so we will start with the mediocre and mundane. A written exam. As long or as short as your attention span can produce. After the exam you will make your way to the enchantment station and enchant one item on the table. "

There was a gruff sound. Fur and claws running along the walls, faint, but there. "After you will disguise yourself as a human playing the part of a grim reaper. I do hope that makes sense as for someone mediocre it's a skill you'll need should you ever attempt to work human side." A sneer as the teacher went over to the enchantment table.
"As per school regulations I must monitor the enchantments. If and when you get to this stage please try not to blow anything up." Sitting himself down behind the table the demon waited.

"Begin."
Quote:

This exam comes in three parts it seems! The written exam is as stated, but the enchantment has dice mechanics. Enchantment is done with runes, magic, and alchemy. Sparrow might know some of the symbols from minipet alchemy if he's into that.

Items are:
Pen and Ink
Obsidian Stone
Glass orb
Feather
Bird's talon

Dice to enchant are 1d6 and RP out results
1- You fail horribly, blowing up your item, the desk- and generally making a mess. Whoops, (Quote for further instructions)
2- Your enchantment is weak, and only lasts a few seconds. Not good.
3- You enchantment is weak, but it clumsily holds. Close enough.
4- You enchantment is average and does it's task. WTG Sparrow
5- Your enchantment is Good. It would last a few days and do what it's supposed to without any major flaws.
6- Your enchantment is flawless. Rengath isn't glaring so bad anymore. It would last for who knows how long

After, Sparrow must make himself look like a human playing the part of reaper. Maybe that is why you have scissors and make up and smelly things?

Quote when done.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:21 pm
Sparrow wilted.

"Yessir," he mumbled, then remembered it was impolite to do so, and straightened again, lifting his chin and tucking his hands together against the small of his back.

"Yes, sir," he said again, this time much more clearly. He couldn't deny that Professor Rengath was quite right - Sparrow wasn't ready for the future. It was far too unstable, too frustrating, and oftentimes he wished he had a crystal ball so that he would be able to see what lay ahead. But since that was neither productive nor realistic, he tried to stay focused on the matter at hand.

Sparrow took the proffered parchment and slid into the seat at the table. He pulled a pen towards him, hovered for several long, thoughtful moments, and then began to write, very slowly and painstakingly.

It took him quite a while, and there were some very definite spelling errors through no fault of Sparrow's but the mild case of dyslexia he had held since he was a child, but after a great deal of effort and careful concentration, he finally pushed away the paper and set down his pen:

What it means to be a Reaper
I'm afraid I cannot do this question justice; it is quite open ended, and sometimes I feel as though the very definition of reaper has expanded too far for me to fully understand it. But I suppose the greatest thing about being what I am is that it is continually growing and developing. You cannot pin down the idea, just as you cannot pin down a thought or a snatch of the wind.

What it means to be a reaper is that I am responsible for the care of the souls that pass through - but that is merely a job title, not really an actual meaning. I could say that being a reaper means being careful, but that is a facet of the job and therefore does not do it justice either. So finally I turn to something else - the very heart of the job.

Being a reaper means being someone who is capable of greatness. An exaggeration, perhaps, or maybe an inflammation of the ego, but it is true. Reapers have a very strong background, and although they have not been known to be as confident as the demons, they are able to hold their own. But where demons are strong and outwardly courageous, reapers are the silent pillars of strength. With our weapons we are able to protect the things that we need to and be a guide to those passing on.

Being a reaper is not necessarily a job - it is a race, and it means being responsible and understanding that one is part of an overlying picture. It means not losing yourself among the masses and doing what you are able to protect and guide.

It is an honor to be what I am, and I hope to someday live up to the expectations and standards of those around me that are reapers.

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

kuropeco rolled 1 6-sided dice: 6 Total: 6 (1-6)

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:02 am
He had studied alchemy, especially on the horseman isles (Famine had been particularly interested in such a thing), but this did not mean that Sparrow was actually good at it. He stood at the table with his arms folded across his chest, nervously picking at a stray thread on the cuff of his sleeve.

He really just hoped he didn't blow anything up.

Carefully, he picked up the pen and ink - something he was most familiar with - and set it down on the table, eyeing it with a bit of apprehension. He was not exactly good at enchantments, but with the help of a few specific runes, he rather hoped he would be able to pull this off. It was a big step, moving into third year. Most of the people he knew had already excelled in front of him, which was somewhat of a disappointment, but he was happy for them and it was only his own fault that had kept him back all this while.

Sparrow stared down his little arrangement, took a deep breath, and began reciting the proper words.

Or at least he hoped they were the proper words.

Fortunately - a great deal fortunately - the enchantment worked much better than he had thought, and Sparrow stepped away, a look of relief on his face. He straightened his shoulders, and moved from the enchantment station. His success with the second part of the examination gave him a little bit of a boost in courage, but there was still one more part left.

He looked at the items he had brought.

What was one supposed to do with makeup, anyway.

Feeling a bit out of his dimensions, Sparrow took a deep breath and reached into the bag. First came his hair - he pulled the ribbon out and let the shoulder length, pale brown strands fall free. He rifled them a bit, trying to get them to look less sleek than they normally were.

Humans were messy, weren't they?

He stripped off his coat and laid it neatly aside, pulling the cravat free as well. He unbuttoned the first few buttons of his white dress shirt and pushed the sleeves up to his elbows. Next the gloves, which Sparrow set neatly atop his carefully folded coat (his hands felt very naked now). In all his time at Amityville, this was probably the least he had ever allowed himself to dress in.

It felt odd.

He really had no idea what to do with the knife, so he tucked it into his belt, and then glanced rather disspiritedly at the makeup, bemusement etched into his face (ghouls really liked this stuff?) and pulled out something powdery in a pale red. He dusted it lightly over his face (wondering how ridiculous he looked), and then quickly set it down. The paint he had no idea what to do with, but the "heavily scented item," which happened to be a rather large bottle of Skeleboil's Best Cologne, turned out to be rather useful after all. Sparrow dabbed some on his neck and wrists, took another moment to shake out his hair and try to be less stiff, and then turned and walked towards the professor.

He really really really hoped this was going to work.

Quote:
6- Your enchantment is flawless. Rengath isn't glaring so bad anymore. It would last for who knows how long

istoleyurvamps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 pm
There was a hint of a smile on Rengath's lips as the enchantment went off without a hitch. The hint of a smile turning to a smirk as he went to the essay, reading it out loud. Or rather parts out loud.

"I cannot do this question justice.....Being a reaper means being someone who is capable of greatness.... I hope to someday live up to the expectations and standards of those around me... I would guess to say Mr. Heartreed, that you must think you are capable of greatness." A quick backtrack to the enchantment table, picking up the pen and ink.

"Or is that simply ego?"

Lifting the ink up he etched something into it with his own claw before throwing it into the darkness of the theater chairs... a low growl coming from the darkness. "As only fair, I do things with reason Mr. Heartreed. This is the stage but, you will find that sometimes certain roles are needed to achieve greatness, other roles, cast aside."

A jump into the audience, the curtains closed on Sparrow, the spot light above him his only source of light. A swish of the curtain, the low growl in the fringes of shadows. Something was stalking him.

Quote:
A wolf in sheep's clothing:

A large, black, dog like minipet as been sent on stage to fight Sparrow. It's roughly the size of an Irish wolfhound, blends into the shadows, and can only be seen if it stands in the light or light is shown on it. however, while the enchanted ink Sparrow made hides it in the darkness, he can hear it dripping off of fur, and see it's prints.
The scent of the cologne he wears also prevents him from being attacked from behind!
His ragged human appearance will make the minipet more likely to attack from the front.

Battle mechanics:

Roll an additional dice to your regular attack. if the first die is 1-6 the minipet does 3 damage for attacking you head on. If 7 or 8, it attacks from the side, doing 5 damage.
Sparrow's FEAR attacks seem locked at the moment but should he feel weak, (at 10HP or less), he'll find he has enough strength to use them.

The minipet has 50 HP. At 3 HP for Sparrow or the minipet's death, please quote me.

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Crew

Trash Husband

kuropeco rolled 3 8-sided dice: 1, 5, 8 Total: 14 (3-24)

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:27 am
Sparrow wilted again.

But he didn't have too much time to dwell on his failures as a reaper before he was thrown into fighting something black and shadowy and not altogether pleasant. The scythe was summoned instantaneously, and Sparrow backtracked several steps, grip tightening around his weapon.

There was a snarl and he felt teeth snapping at his arm. Quickly he twisted around, lifting the scythe and slamming the hilt of it into the creature's side. It gave a whine and disappeared again, shadows curling around Sparrow's fingers.

"All right," he muttered, and pushed his sleeves up. "I can do this."

User Image

[ HP: 37/40
Target: Dog thing
Damage: 7
FEAR: Y2 Swift Strikes / Y1 Chill

MINIPET HP: 43/50 ]

kuropeco rolled 3 8-sided dice: 3, 2, 1 Total: 6 (3-24)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:29 am
He caught sight of the footprints, but the scythe swing was too far and the blade missed the creature. All he could hear now was the steady dripping of the ink and the snarling of the creature.

User Image

[ HP: 34/40
Damage: 0

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

kuropeco rolled 3 8-sided dice: 4, 1, 2 Total: 7 (3-24)

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:30 am
Another miss. He was starting to get frustrated now.

User Image

[ HP: 31/40
Damage: oh come on

kuropeco rolled 3 8-sided dice: 5, 2, 2 Total: 9 (3-24)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:32 am
Sparrow let out a growl of frustration that was not unlike the one the dog was giving him.

User Image

[ HP: 28/40
Damage: are you kidding me

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

kuropeco rolled 3 8-sided dice: 4, 6, 7 Total: 17 (3-24)

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 am
"Oh, no you don't," Sparrow snapped angrily, and spun the scythe over his head, bringing it down on the dog with a rush of air. It collided with a sharp snap, and the dog gave a howl of fury, snarling and spitting, but Sparrow was satisfied.

User Image

[ HP: 25/40

MINIPET HP: 36/50 ]

kuropeco rolled 3 8-sided dice: 6, 6, 4 Total: 16 (3-24)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:35 am
Another hit, and Sparrow felt ink spatter his hands and arms.

User Image

[ HP: 22/40

MINIPET HP: 32/50 ]

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

kuropeco rolled 3 8-sided dice: 1, 8, 8 Total: 17 (3-24)

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:36 am
He felt more confident now, despite simultaneously feeling weakened by the dog's bites. The scythe whistled through the air, cutting a sharp line through the shadows, and hit the dog in the side again, then once more. It howled in anger and bit at him, but Sparrow's foot lashed out, connecting with what felt like its jaw, and it snapped backwards, spitting in rage.

User Image

[ HP: 19/40
Damage: 10

MINIPET HP: 22/50 ]

kuropeco rolled 3 8-sided dice: 6, 4, 1 Total: 11 (3-24)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:38 am
He was starting to feel tired, and Sparrow pushed his sweaty hair away from his face, his hands feeling oddly light without the usual weight of his gloves on them.

Just a little bit more. I can do it.

User Image

[ HP: 16/40
Damage: 0

MINIPET HP: 22/50 ]

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

kuropeco rolled 3 8-sided dice: 4, 6, 5 Total: 15 (3-24)

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:39 am
One more hit...he was close, he could feel it...

User Image

[ HP: 13/40
Damage: 5

MINIPET HP: 17/50 ]

{ Classrooms } ---------------- Classes/ Open Classes/ EXAMS ARE HERE

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers