[LOG] Truly Welcome? (Madakata, Vaina)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:37 pm
Vaina usually kept to herself, but she had heard rumours about one of the prides in this area and wanted to investigate. Word on the savannah said that this was the place to have a good time, and that there was always some kind of party going on. It sounded strange, but the leopard was intrigued. She stopped to scratch a flea bite behind her ear and then continued towards this “party-pride”. It wouldn’t surprise her if it was all an elaborate hoax to make her look stupid, but what if it wasn’t? She could at least get close enough to see if the rumours were true

Madakata was enjoying the final fesitaval of the Kaskazi... the Gala of Learning. It was a little different than other celebrations, as it was less focused around pure enjoyment. The whole reason to the festival was to savor the start of another session of learning for all. Throughout the year the youngsters, along with any adult who wished it, learned all sorts of useful skills. It was now, at the beginning of that session, and at the end of the months of no schooling, when learning was fun. It got less so through the cooler seasons for the young ones, but for now, it was all fun and games.

It was also Madakata's last chance to stroll through and enjoy things. She'd participated in a hunting competition the day before, coming in far from first, but having had a delightful time nonetheless. Most folks, especially during celebrations, gave her no more deference than any other member of the pride, and she tended to savor this. It always meant she could have her relaxed face on, rather than her queenly one. She bypassed the stall where yesterday's catches were being offered as treats for attendees. Instead, she opted to go out near the edge of the festival grounds to sit and enjoy the sounds of happy folk, both of her pride and those attending from distant places.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:38 pm
Vaina could see and scent the telltale signs that she entered pride territory, but she didn't see any guards or scouts. It didn't mean they weren't out there, of course. A good scout didn't let you see them until they wanted to be seen, after all. But her initial wariness started to melt away to be replaced by curiosity. It did actually sound like a party up ahead. She could hear cubs laughing, faint singing and the kind of loud murmur you got when a lot of people talked all at once. To her surprise she managed to get really close to the festivities before seeing anyone.

She could see all kinds of creatures mingle with each other in the distance, and a reddish brown lioness sitting and looking at them all.

"Didn't they let you in," she asked, and sat down a few paces away from the lioness.

It was unexpected to hear a voice coming from outside the celebration. That it was an unfamiliar voice meant it was likely an incoming guest. She debated playing the royalty role, but discarded it with a whimsical air. No, she'd let the stranger see her as just another member, for now. She turned to smile at the leopardess sitting nearby. "Ha, no. We welcome all to participate." She waved a paw towards the noise and scent. "I just needed a break from the fun and chaos." It was said with a wry smile, for it could indeed get chaotic sometimes. "Is this your first time coming to one of the festivals?" Her whiskers spread as she leaned subtley forward, giving the guest her full attention.  

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:40 pm
The lioness seemed to be friendly enough, and it was reassuring that everyone was invited. Vaina was used to the opposite so she tended to expect the worst. She wasn't quite ready to barge in and crash the party, but she might as well stick around and see what this was all about. The leopard had never seen a party this big, so she understood why the lioness needed a break.

“No,” she answered, “I’ve heard about you in passing, but I’ve never visited before.”

She had learned to avoid prides, most of the time. Most of them were more or less territorial, and some could be downright hostile to strangers. This one was different, and it intrigued her.

“What is it that you are celebrating?”

Ah, this was a subject that Kata could warm to! Even though it wasn't one of her own clan's festivals, she savored each and every one of pride's celebrations. "This is a week-long celebration called the Gala of Learning." She turned her head off to the right, where the ground was more open. Barely visible among the tall grasses, sleek forms bounded. "For example, our couriers and any others who wish to learn are over there, testing their sprinting prowess against each other." She turned back to the leopardess with a smile. "It takes time, dedication, and practise to learn to do anything well. It is that effort we are celebrating."

She shook her head then. "But this is not the only time we celebrate. If it is worth being glad for, we often find a way to incorperate it into our traditional festivals." Her eyes turned distant and her tail began to twitch slowly. "My favorite is probably Spirits' Eve, when we honor the dead but focus also on the lively things of the autumnal time of year." It wasn't just a single eve's worth of fun, but that tended to be the focus. "Do you have a favorite time of year, or thing to celebrate?" Her ears pricked with interst. Such questions of newcomers tended to help them better tailor the celebrations.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:41 pm
Vaina could see how much this all meant to the lioness, and she listened with increasing fascination. She had never thought about the act of learning as something in need of celebrating, but it made her think about her first successful hunt. The first time she climbed a tree by herself... She had been happy then, of course. She scratched absentmindedly at a flea bite, but stopped when the lioness turned back to her.
“I... I don’t know,” she said, “I guess I like it when there are a lot of young stupid gazelles running around.”

It probably wasn’t worthy of a celebration, but she did like the fact that it made hunting easier.

“The end of the rains is also a nice time,” she added, “when it’s still green, but not wet everywhere.”

The thought of young gazelle made her mouth water, and her mind turn to that flat rock laden with the hunt competition's acquired prey. Perhaps she would go and feast soon. But not yet. She nodded avidly, licking her whiskers openly. "Oh yes, that is most definitely a wonderful time of year," she agreed, eyes alight with a preadatory gleam all felines shared. She pondered the second answer and shrugged her shoulders faintly. "I am not as fond of that time myself, for the insects bother me. But I can see how the green and damp could be enjoyable." No one individual's perspective on what was enjoyable was right for any other. That was one of the joys of the pride. Each got to focus or as little as they pleased on the different celebrations. That was why the clans had been formed in the first place.

"If you were a part of the Sikukuu, you sound like you likely would be of the Demani clan, those who most enjoy springtime." Her smile was warm and benign. This was not a recruitment speech, but merely an expression of the understanding that each was different. "I myself am of the Vuli clan, who celebrate the time of autumn." She couldn't help the swell of pride that touched her voice and posture at the statement. She loved her clan dearly.

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:42 pm
Vaina looked down at her paws when the lioness mentioned insects, and her ears lowered a notch. Her own personal ecosystem normally contained a hefty amount of fleas, and they were very visible in her pale coat, especially in areas where the fur what thin. She had learned to expect bad reactions to the flea problem and wondered if the lioness had noticed and was trying to make a point. But then she started talking about clans, so Vaina wasn’t sure what to think.

“You call yourself the Sikukuu,” she asked, to confirm that she had understood what the different names meant, “And there are clans? Are there more than two?”

She couldn’t see the point in banding together as a pride and then dividing that group in other groups. But the parties might grow too big if they didn’t.

Kata bent her head graciously. "We gather as a pride called Sikukuu, yes. Each clan is drawn together by their love of one of the seasons, which give us four clans in total." She raised a paw and flicked out a claw to represent each clan she named. "Demani arrange and host celebrations of springtime. Kaskazi revel in the heat of summer. Vuli are creatures of the fall, and provide for the festivals of autumn. Mrao savor the cold of winter, and enjoy putting on parties of their season." She swung her head back towards the current gathering, a smile touching her muzzle. "Species and gender matter not, all are welcome to join us, to choose a clan that suits them best." She flashed a concerned look back at the leopardess. "Though everyone, regardless of whether they are a member, a rogue, or from another pride, are welcomed to come to the celebrations." She stretched her paw out towards the milling crowds. "It delights us to see strangers, and gives us purpose in our efforts."  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:44 pm
Vaina’s ears perked forward as the lioness explained the pride dynamics. She didn’t consider joining them, but it was very interesting to learn how other creatures chose to live. It was the first pride she had encountered that seemed to welcome anyone. That made her relax a little, but she didn’t even consider asking to join. If she’d ask, and they’d turn her away, it would only sting so much more. Come to think about it, she hadn’t really talked to many felines belonging to prides before. She had heard rumours about leopard controlled groups, but had stayed away from them for similar reasons.

“So everyone can join the celebrations,” she parroted, “I’d be welcome to join?”

She was going out on a limb here, and was fully prepared to walk away, humiliated. But they all looked as if they had fun down there, and she scented a fresh kill when the wind turned this way. Vaina licked her lips, she couldn’t help herself.

Whether Madakata had noticed the fleas or not wasn't at all clear. In truth, she had noticed them rather quickly, but had chosen to not judge the feline beneath the infestation by the bites roughening her pelt. No, there was more to each person than what was on the outside, even if what was on the outside was something others found repulsive. In fact, the almost pathetic way the other feline seemed astonished and eager touched Kata's heart, resolving for her whether to mention the problem or not. Perhaps they could arrange an herbal 'crown' for her while she stayed. It was definitely worth considering.

"Of course you are," she replied warmly, rising to her paws. She stopped short of head-bumping the leopardess, but did beckon for her to follow. "Come, I think I'd like some of that prey about now. You can join me for a meal, if you'd like." She took several steps and smiled back at her new friend. "Come, enjoy yourself!" She clamped down again on the urge to reveal herself as the queen, not wanting to further startle the newcomer. "The Sikukuu welcome everyone." She emphasised the last word, tipped her head in a last gesture of invitation, and padded off towards the rock filled with delicious food.

Talencia

Blessed Friend

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:45 pm
This was all new to her, but Vaina had never in her life turned down a free meal, and she wasn’t about to start now. It seemed as if the rumours were true. The Sikukuu seemed to be a friendly and cheerful bunch, and she’d add the tale of their hospitality when she passed the story on. The leopard suppressed her feelings of doom and gloom and padded after the lioness. Perhaps some things were this good, without being too good to be true. That kill smelled real enough, and no one as much as growled at her as she followed her host to the pile of food.

It was a good day for Vaina. A rare, good day.  
[IC] Sikukuu Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games