Welcome to Gaia! ::

♥ In the Name of the Moon! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Sailor Moon based B/C shop! Come join us! 

Tags: Sailor, Moon, Scouts, Breedables, Senshi 

Reply ♥ In the Name of the Moon! ♥
[R] Old and New [Odette x Jett] [Fin]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kyuseisha no Hikari

Crew

Dragonslaying Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:10 pm
Jacoby Winchester was an interesting man with even more interesting affiliates. In the many years Jett had known and worked for him, he had come to know a multitude of these associates and come to terms with both their quirks and his boss’.

Approximately every two months, Jacoby liked to do a complete overhaul on the shop’s set up. It was a stressful and laborious endeavor, however it was one Jett quickly learned to expect. It was a simple enough idea—every two months, box up the merchandise on display, store it in the shed out back, restock with new merchandise. It was a nice way to display ‘new’ items for the clientele.

Jett had come in ridiculously early to get a good start on packing up the merchandise so the shop wasn’t a complete mess when opening hours. Jacoby was there to instill bits of knowledge as they worked to prepare the shop.

By eight, Jett had cleaned out a quarter of the shop and was in the process of unpacking the boxes his boss had decided to display. Some items were familiar—old books and journals. It was a period theme to go along with the collection Jacoby had just acquired from the museum. The Civil War artifacts were already on display in the front window, and Jett tried not to admire some of the newly acquired antiques as he unloaded the familiar ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:03 pm
Odette was out, looking for something fun, figuring she could use some me time, and perhaps use the time to buy herself something nice. She had often looked in the window of the Antique shop, enjoying the things she saw inside, and always hoping they would have something…that was of some historical value as well as being...well, old.

Today however, it seemed as though the brunette was in luck! She pressed her nose against the glass and let out a little squeal of delight. Was that stuff from the Civil War? What a find! She wondered how such a grubby little shop had managed to get their hands on such relics!

With another yelp, she made her way into the shop. Today was the day to really go in and see for herself what treasures were inside. She didn’t care that she made a lot of noise, for once, it didn’t seem like protocol was really necessary. This was history after all!

The girl knelt by the window display, reaching out and gently stroking the binding of one of the small leather bound books. Perhaps they were journals? Or something? And ugh. Look at all of the stuff! Everything that was bothering her seemed to dissolve at this find. This was her roots. This was what Odette Matthews lived for, after all!

Orangeish Sherbert

Time-traveling Zealot

Kyuseisha no Hikari

Crew

Dragonslaying Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 pm
Jett had been sifting through a few more books and had been so invested in unloading the boxes that he nearly missed the girl entering. Had it not been for her less than subtle entrance, he might not have known she was in the shop. When she made a noise, he glanced at the girl as she entered. She was young, and it was certainly the first time he‘d ever seen her in the place. And, more than interested in being here, she seemed excited. Which certainly made her rather an appealing customer. “Morning,” he greeted, lifting up the then emptied cardboard box he’d just unloaded onto the shelf.

She had gone straight for the display, so either she was a complete freak or knew just what she had her hands on. “Typically I’d ask if I could help you find something specifically or if you’d just like to look around, but it seems like you’ve already found something that’s caught your eye. You interested in the Civil War period or do you just like old books?”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 pm
“I’m interested in history in general. But, it’s rare for this place to have such gems!” She gently took one of the journals off of the display rack and opened it, sighing as her hands skimmed the fragile paper. “This is such a collector’s item…I’m absolutely interested in buying it if it’s for sale.” She stood up and beamed, all worries really gone from her mind.

Yup. This basically confirmed how much better life would be when not a senshi. Completely and totally. Senshi’s didn’t get cool things like old civil war journals. No sir. All they got was pain and heartache and bruises.

“Do you often get things like this in here? When I’ve come by before, your window displays normally have dumb things like old costume jewelry or something. I’m glad to see something really awesome today. It’s really made my day a lot better.”

Orangeish Sherbert

Time-traveling Zealot

Kyuseisha no Hikari

Crew

Dragonslaying Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 pm
Jett’s eyebrow raised suspiciously at the girl, and he wondered if she really thought it was such a great idea to inform him that she thought the shop only displayed ‘dumb things’. There were some situations where the customer wasn’t always right, though as much as Jett wanted to point that out, he held his tongue.

Half because he didn’t want to get backlash from his boss, and half because he really wanted to sell the book she was holding. Not only had the damage been done to it—and the shoddy repair job—lowered the value, but it wasn’t anything amazing in terms of historical relevance. It hadn’t belonged to a big name, just a normal guy who had left something private behind for the world to find.

“It’s for sale,” he said, looking from the journal to her face. “…But a bit of fair warning to you. If you’re looking for a happy story, you might not want to invest your time and money into that. Guy had awful luck. Got into a lot of messes.”

Which should have been obvious enough from the folded, stained, and torn pages. The book looked like it had been through hell, but in many ways it gave it a strange sort of charm. Even if it looked like it had been water-logged, coffee-stained, dirt scuffed and blood spattered.

“Most of it’s all still legible and all, so it’s not like you wouldn’t be getting your money out of it. I kinda think all the story and wear makes it more impressive.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:31 pm
Odette waved an impatient hand. “Oh, I think I’m through looking for happy stories and fairy tale endings. I know most journals from this time only tell about death and poverty and stuff like that…but the fact…ugh. It’s such a great primary source…how much is it? Is it terribly expensive?”

She was so hopeful, very hopeful in fact. She really wanted this book. Maybe she would start collecting. Become one of those mad old treasure hunters who looked for civil war relics and the like…it wasn’t a bad idea, she could do it. And, even if it was just a normal journal from a normal person in the 1800’s, it was still…such a big part of the countries’ history. Such a big part of everything.

“I do hope a shop like this is willing to haggle if it is really pricy…or perhaps, I could be hired on or something? I just really, really want this book…” Well, she was bordering on begging now.

Orangeish Sherbert

Time-traveling Zealot

Kyuseisha no Hikari

Crew

Dragonslaying Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:13 am
Jett always liked a desperate customer, so he wasn’t going to let one slip through the cracks. That book hadn’t sold in all the time he’d been here, and her enthusiasm for procuring it meant good things for him. He donned a charming smile. “I imagine we could work something out. Particularly if you’re so interested in taking it home with you. More importantly than money—” yeah, right “—is that these things go to a good home.”

And get off the shelf.

He wasn’t so sure that she could be useful in the shop, though suspected that his boss would always love another pair of hands and a fresh young face to work with, though that seemed like too much of a hassle just to get the book out of here.

“So let me work with you. What’s within your price range?”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:25 am
Odette pulled out her wallet and flipped through the bills she had stashed inside of it. “I have forty dollars right now. But I think I have some stashed at home. Maybe. At least it’s possible that I do.” She shrugged. “Honestly though, I think it would be more fun just to work off the debt. I love old things. And I absolutely adore history.”

Plus, having a job would be pretty good, she could get some pocket money, and it would be good for her to get her mind off of everything. Right?

Yeah.

“So…do you think I could have a job, even if you do want to just accept the forty for the book. I think it’s a good deal, I mean…Right?” So perhaps haggling wasn’t her strong suit, not by a long shot…but she was trying. She really was.

Orangeish Sherbert

Time-traveling Zealot

Kyuseisha no Hikari

Crew

Dragonslaying Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:52 am
Ah, and now she was pushing for a job? Well this was certainly very interesting. Though Jett wasn’t in a position to be pulling new people onto the payroll, it didn’t mean that he couldn’t vouch for her in the meantime. Plus, with Jacoby’s surgery coming up, he couldn’t imagine that his boss wouldn’t be wiling to get some new people in here to help the shop running.

“I’ll tell you what,” he said after a thoughtful moment, “I can’t hire you here, but I can talk to my boss, see if we can set up a time for you to come in and meet with him. He’s got a soft spot for people with a weakness for ‘old things’. I think forty would be a good exchange—do you want to leave your number and I can give you a call after I talk to him about getting some new people in here?” Jett asked. He’d had plenty of time to work in the shop during the summer, but with school coming up again, he knew he’d have less time to dedicate here if he intended to keep up his duties to the Dark Mirror Court on top of it all.

“We can find some time that works for you, set up a meeting. I’ll put in a good word for you.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:08 pm
Odette grinned, handing over the money. “That sounds fantastic. Thank you so much. My name’s Odette, by the way.” She held the journal close and seemed very happy with the purchase. Tonight would be a night to stay in and peruse the journal at her leisure.

“I hope your boss says I can have the job. Do you know when you’ll be getting back to me?” She pulled an old receipt out of her purse and scribbled down her cell phone number, handing it to the blonde boy.

“It smells nice and old in here. I love the smell of old things, it’s just such a relaxing sort of smell. And to think of all of the people who have owned all of the things before, and what they’ve experienced and ugh. It’s just amazing to think about.” Clearly, she was passionate about something.

Orangeish Sherbert

Time-traveling Zealot

Kyuseisha no Hikari

Crew

Dragonslaying Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:12 pm
Jett pocketed the money; the register was across the room and wasn’t worth making the trek to in the middle of a conversation. “Jett,” he introduced. “I can’t imagine it will take longer than a week for him to pick a day that works for him, so I’ll call in a few days.”

He glanced at her number and slid that in a different pocket; this one he’d have to be a bit more careful with. The last thing he wanted was to get caught with some other girl’s number—especially since it was work related.

Looking around the room, Jett nodded. He enjoyed everything about the antiques that decorated the shop. He liked the old smell, liked handling things that had passed from hand to hand throughout the years—or been forgotten for ages, only to be rediscovered.

“You’ve got good taste, you know. Antiques are a special sort of thing. Not enough people appreciate them. Especially the younger crowd. Do you have any experience in antiquing or just an affinity with the aged?”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:40 pm
“I don’t have any antiquing experience, but I am really looking forward to graduating Meadowview this year, I’m planning on getting a history degree at DCU once I get in there, so, that’s the extent of my knowledge or whatever.” She looked around and just laughed with glee. “But, I should be getting home now…I really want to read the journal. I’ll be waiting for the call, Jett.”

She gave a smile, then waved. “Thank you. For the book, I mean. You’ve really made my day. See you later!”

The girl darted out the door then, hoping he wouldn’t change his mind about the journal. Normally these things would cost about two hundred dollars, she really got it for a steal, even if it was all of her pocket money, all of her allowance. It was so worth it. She clutched the book close and grinned all the way home.

Orangeish Sherbert

Time-traveling Zealot

♥ In the Name of the Moon! ♥

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces