Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Meet Brain and Sir Swimmy McNibblekins!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:29 am
I've been toying around with what I really wanted to do with my 65 gallon pond, and my trip to the LFS today (to order a pleco) really helped me decide

So, meet Brain! (sorry about no IMG codes. My phone disapproves of Photobucket)

http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p321/Akari_32/Brain/

He was marked as a Japanese Fantail (Japanese as a opposed to what...?), but he's got a cap, or "brain-dar look" (hence his name lol) as I said to the owner of the store, going on, so I think he's a mutt-fish. Does anyone else think that that nice erect dorsal fin screams Ryukin? When it's fully up, it even pushes forward a bit.... Cute little mostly-oranda-mutt-fish :3nod

Anyways, there he (or she lol) is! I may get a second fancy for the small pond, so he has a buddy, and they'll obviously come in in the winter (along with my pleco). I have a 55 gallon that I can get, just needs the side pannel replaced, which means a reseal is in my future >.<  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:01 am
I had a feeling this is what it was when I saw the title. wink "Hmm, wonder what Brain cou-- oohhhh, bet he's one of those fish with those heads!"

He's rather cute. 3nodding His fins kind of fade into the background, but from what I can make out they look very beautiful indeed.

Bringing your pond indoors for the winter... Excellent idea. Don't you live in Florida? I'm sure your pond season is much longer than ours (if you do live in FL). People up here would end up having their fish indoors for 9 months out of the year. emo  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:54 am
Celestial Fireflies
I had a feeling this is what it was when I saw the title. wink "Hmm, wonder what Brain cou-- oohhhh, bet he's one of those fish with those heads!"

He's rather cute. 3nodding His fins kind of fade into the background, but from what I can make out they look very beautiful indeed.

Bringing your pond indoors for the winter... Excellent idea. Don't you live in Florida? I'm sure your pond season is much longer than ours (if you do live in FL). People up here would end up having their fish indoors for 9 months out of the year. emo

Hehehe, yeaaaah, it only seemed fitting LOL My guess is he'll grow up to look something like this, judging on where his wen is http://www.chaky.com.cy/img/fishes/big/GO4603.jpg x3

The pics suck because my camera doesn't like the lighting on my quarantine tank lol he's actually really nice and brightly colored, and his fins are bright white, too.

I do live in Florida, yes smile I think I can get away with heating the pond he is going in for most of the cooler nights, since it's only 65 gallons, but at some point, I'll have to bring him, is buddy if I get one, and the pleco from my other pond in for a few months. There will be other fish still in the pond though, some temperate fish. Not sure if I want Rosey Minnows or Giant Danios..... My Common and Comet goldfish will stay in the 150 gallon pond year around. Fancies like warmer temps, so they it best to bring them in when it gets too cold.

Brain is such a cute little fatty! Last night, I fed him like 10 or 12 little goldfish pellets, and were all gone in less that a minute!! And then he was swimming around looking for more! Omg, it was too funny XD  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:17 pm
Nice looking little Ranchu  

Akiska

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 am
This is my newest addition, Sir Swimmy McNibblekins! Enjoy smile

http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p321/Akari_32/Sir Swimmy McNibblekins/

Akiska
Nice looking little Ranchu

Thanks! He's actually an oranda wink  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:20 pm
YOUNG Oranda. LOL Mobile posting, and photo viewing doesn't show the head bubbling as much as a comp. I just saw the finnage. But come to think of it Ranchu don't have dorsals do they? But still have the head bubbles... Been a while since I did anything with goldfish.  

Akiska

Akari_32

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:22 am
Akiska
YOUNG Oranda. LOL Mobile posting, and photo viewing doesn't show the head bubbling as much as a comp. I just saw the finnage. But come to think of it Ranchu don't have dorsals do they? But still have the head bubbles... Been a while since I did anything with goldfish.

Ranchu dont have dorsals, no. Brain doesn't have much of a wen going on yet. It's more like he stuck his head in some orange goo XD

Ha, I hate being on my phone too, but it's the only source of internet I have ATM. >.<  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:22 pm
Is the second another Oranda? They shouldn't be kept with other types as they have issues finding food as the wen develops, and the wen can also interfere with their ability to breathe well if it grows too heavily on the gill covers. [Ha, you probably already knew that though]  

Akiska

Akari_32

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:48 am
Akiska
Is the second another Oranda? They shouldn't be kept with other types as they have issues finding food as the wen develops, and the wen can also interfere with their ability to breathe well if it grows too heavily on the gill covers. [Ha, you probably already knew that though]

Swimmy is a Ryukin. Brain is a red cap Oranda, so any sight issues should actually be pretty non-existant. A lot of people keep mixed fancies though. It's more the ones with the retarded eyes that you have to be careful with lol Sight issues in Orandas are pretty rare, and even then, can be fixed with a little web trimming ( o.o'! ). :3nod  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games