Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:39 pm
User Image

Lailah K'chol was avoiding Stellaluna. Well, truth be told, she was avoiding lessons with the Shaman, which was much the same thing. Yes she knew it was important, but some days, like today, she just couldn't focus. It was dark outside, with clouds covering the sun, though no sign of rain in sight. The young lioness loved weather like this, though she couldn't have said why.

Some said that this sort of day was depressing, lacking only rain to make it completely miserable. Lailah would have liked rain though, there was something utterly freeing about water pouring down out of the sky without a care in the world.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:51 pm
User Image

Chiba was off on her own little adventure, not sure where exactly she was aiming but having far too much energy to lay about or risk having to drag around a friend who didn't really want to run around with her.. so she was by herself, running along happily.

The clouds didn't bother her, though she missed the sunshine. It was fun to imagine she was racing the rain.. but that would come when she had to head for home again, really. If it even started to rain. Off in her own happy little world, she wasn't paying a great deal of attention to anybody she passed- even when she cut across in front of her pale cousin.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:56 pm
Lailah was startled out of her reverie by a flash of yellow in front of her and she looked up to see a familiar looking young lioness. Chiba, her cousin. One of Uncle Yareha's daughters. They'd played together as cubs and a little bit after. But nowadays it didn't seem like Mom wanted them to spend as much time near their cousins. Or was it near their uncle? Aysu could be maddeningly silent on issues sometimes, even though her adolescent children were surely old enough to know.

"Good afternoon Chiba," the older lioness called out.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:01 pm
Chiba's ears twitched when she heard her name and she stumbled in an effort to stop, very nearly ending up face first on the ground. She turned herself around more carefully, nearly tangling herself back up in her feet despite this, and focused on who had spoken to her.

Lailah! It seemed like it had been forever since she'd seen her cousins.

"Lailah!" she said, bouncing a few steps to close the gap between them, "Hi! I didn't see you there, what are you up to all the way out here?"

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:07 pm
"Just taking a breather," the white lioness replied with a smile. "What about you? You seem to be having a lot of fun out here."

She'd always liked spending time with her cousins, even if sometimes they drove her crazy in the age-old way that young creatures did to older creatures. It was something normal. In a way that her family...wasn't always.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:44 pm
Her nose wrinkled at Lailah's excuse for being all the way out here by herself, she didn't fully understand what she meant by it and it didn't really sound like a lot of fun so she didn't know how to respond. So she didn't.

"I'm just running," she answered, tilting her head but smiling, "I didn't think I'd run into anybody, though!"

Not much for small talk but Chiba wasn't worried about it.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:49 pm
Running? An interesting choice of pasttimes. She wondered if that was a hobby of Chiba's or perhaps some sort of training. It didn't matter too much yet, Lailah supposed, as her cousin was still just a juvenile.

"It's not the smallest pride in the world, but you do seem to always run into someone," the white lioness mused. "Are you a fast runner then?" she asked. She could see the benefits to speed, or conversely, the ability to hold a pace for long periods of time. Both were quite useful to both Guards and Hunters.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:54 pm
"I guess," she said, realizing how silly it sounded to say she wasn't expecting to run into anybody. It was more like.. she wasn't expecting anybody to stop her. She had passed several other lions and if she'd stopped to look, it wouldn't have been surprising if some of them had been relatives. She had a lot of those.

"I am!" she answered confidently about her running abilities, straightening up, "I'm way faster than my sisters and brother! That's why I'm by myself, nobody can keep up."

Partial truth but a better story than nobody wanting to run around with her.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:58 pm
Lailah smiled at the younger lioness. It was amazing how Chiba's exuberance made her feel so much older. Her cousin had so much energy!

"That's good to hear," she replied. "Speed is very useful for both Hunters and Guards, from what I've heard. Do you think you'll be one of those when you're older?" She realized she didn't actually know what class Chiba and her siblings were in. Then the white lioness remembered that because they hadn't been born into the pride, they would be undergoing the same ritual as all former rogues...but not until they were adolescents. So...soon.

Which then made her question somewhat relevant because no one knew what the younger lioness' choices were yet.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:05 pm
"Maybe!" Chiba said, not all that concerned about what limitations she might be subject to when she was finally initiated properly. She tried not to acknowledge the possibility of being a slave, she would deal with it if she had to. She would have liked if running could be useful.

"I bet hunting would be a lot of fun," she said optimistically and then looked her cousin up and down curiously, "You're going to be shaman, right? Do you need to be fast for that?"

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:12 pm
"Yes I'm the Apprentice Shaman right now," the older lioness answered. "I've never been hunting, so I couldn't say if it's fun or not. But speed isn't something that's come up in my lessons." The religious leader of the pride generally didn't seem to need to be the fastest or strongest. She didn't even need to be physically fit from what Lailah could tell.

But she supposed that in an emergency the Shaman could need speed to get to someone fast. She just couldn't imagine what sort of situation would require it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:24 pm
Her tail swayed behind her as their conversation continued, smiling through everything. Shaman did sound like a more academic job, which might be very interesting but that kind of job was never part of any potential career path she had ever had explained to her. Maybe in the future, if she were high classed, she might have the opportunity to become a priestess but everybody focused more on hunting or guard duty. And she thought they sounded more fun anyway. Who wanted to sit around most of the time?

"Do you like it?"

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:31 pm
...now THERE was a question. Did she like the job she'd been selected for when she was born? It wasn't actually something Lailah had thought about before. All she knew is that the old Shaman and her apprentice had died a long time ago. Then Stellaluna had become the new Shaman, but no one had come forward to be an Apprentice. So it was declared that the next girl to be born in the High Class would be that Apprentice. Enter Lailah, eldest of her siblings, firstborn after that declaration.

Needless to say, she hadn't really been given a choice, but this Apprenticeship had been a fact her entire life.

"I guess so," she asnwered at last. "I'm fairly good at remembering what I need to, and none of the other ranks have really appealed to me."  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:36 pm
It was an interesting answer, it was better than saying she guessed but wished she could go off and be a guard or something. She didn't sound very excited about it, though. But Chiba didn't know what to say about that, either, so she changed the subject.

"Oh," she said, tilting her head back the other way now, "Do you want to race? You're taller than me so I bet even if you aren't so fast you can keep up!"

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:40 pm
Well, nothing like a fun game in the present to take one's mind off brooding on the past and future! Lailah smiled at her cousin.

"Sure! First one to the water hole is jackal-food!" she told the yellow lioness. "Go!" The white adolescent took off running as she spoke the last word, looking over her shoulder to see if the younger lion was coming.  
[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff