[PRP] Trial and Error (Asili'issa/Idris) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:05 pm
The dawn light had yet to rise, and in the still darkness waited a young figure. He sat in the exact position that Idris had directed him, his back turned to his home as he waited for the sun to rise.

Where was Idris, anyway? He grinned. Should he play a trick on her? No, no he really shouldn't....but that didn't mean he wasn't going to.

After making sure she wasn't waiting in the wings, Issa slipped down into the frigid water until only the top of his head was visible. Hidden in the muck and reeds, he was hardly visible at all. Now all he had to do was wait.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:04 pm
Idris took her time getting ready that morning. Today was going to be completely different than usual. She was going to find out if she was going to have a pupil or a cub following her around. He had seemed intent on learning from her yesterday... Would the kid change his mind? Would she be able to do this? ...No matter. Only one way to find out.

She decided that a good first test would be to see how well he waited. Patience was essential to any hunt. So, she didn't head out until the sun was peeking over the horizon. When she got to the water pool... She looked around and shook her head. Had he gone home already, or was he really this late? With a quite sigh, she sat herself down a few feet from the water and started licking a paw absentmindedly, ears constantly moving as she listened for anyone's approach.

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:54 pm
Issa inhaled sharply when he saw the familiar figure moving his way. He was tempted to rush her then and there, but he needed patience. The only way he was going to get the best reaction was if he waited for her to distract herself.

....then what? She didn't seem to notice him in the water, but he wasn't keen on scaring her now. What if she attacked? Issa bit his lip. 'Oh man', he thought. 1, 2, 3, 4...Go!

The adolescent jumped out of the water, sending a spray of water and mud her way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:13 pm
Done licking the paw, she had just raised the other when the surprise attack came. She quickly ducked when she saw the movement to her side. Of course, all she saw was a mud monster rising from the watering hole. A bit of mud hit her face, and she snarled fiercely. She jumped back once, took a split second to see that there was only one 'enemy', and jumped back forward, eyes razor sharp as she extended her claws and swiped a paw at the attacking beast.  

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:28 pm
After choking on a roar due to the vast amount of mud around his neck and mouth, Issa was forced to just charge. He thought he was doing a good job of it, too, until she caught her footing. In order to avoid a hit, he fell to the right and rolled some distance away. "Woah, woah, woah! It's me!" Issa scrambled into the water, dipping down just far enough to wipe off the goo from his coat. It wasn't a perfect wash, but she would be able to see him now.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:44 pm
She wasn't about to let the sneak get away! She chased after the rolling mudball, and set to take another swing when the voice called out. Her ears perked, and she jumped back again. When Issa's identity was revealed, she padded slowly over, face expressionless, and reached in an attempt to swat at Issa's nose for good measure. "I don't know whether to beat you or praise you." She scowled. "It was a good idea, but I was too far away for you to jump out like that. Water is too loud for such a thing. You have to wait until your target is at or in the water. However, the muck and water is a good way to hide your scent if you're lying in wait." Shaking a little mud off her paw, she went to wipe off the rest of the mud that had been splashed onto her.  

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:33 pm
"Ow! What was that for?" He pouted, reaching up to cup his wounded nose. "You should congragulate me! Not only was I here before you, but I got the jump on you. Doesn't that get me anything?" Jeez! This lioness was hard core. "Thanks for giving me the tips, though. I'll keep that in mind next time I try to attack you."

He dipped his mane into the water, taking one paw to scrub out the muck and grime from his coat. When he was sure the worst of it was gone, he padded back to her side. "So, what's on the agenda today?"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:50 pm
Idris couldn't reveal everything, of course! "That was for unsuccessfully sneak-attacking me on our first day of your training." She said firmly, shaking her head. "You didn't even fight back! What are you going to do if you're actually hunting or battling? Hoping you'll just scare your target off?" Sighing, she sat down and stuck out her chin in thought. "Well, apparently, you passed your patience test. Now, we'll see how well you can sniff something out." She pointed off into the shadows beyond the camp with a rather amused look. "Go. Find."  

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:29 am
"Huh." He actually hadn't thought of that. To his young mind, it was all still training and games, but he supposed she had a valid point. "Sort of?" Issa should have known she would take this super seriously.

Oh now, this would be interesting. He gave her an arch look before slipping out of the water into the vast landscape. Issa kept his nose tot he wind, and his eyes on the ground. He walked and walked and walked...and walked some more. He walked so far that it felt like his paws would burn off, but it was only then that he managed to catch a scent. It was light, and trailed off down towards the water. "Check this out."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:25 am
Following along at a distance, Idris kept her expression neutral despite a desire to laugh. The boy was eager, at least that was clear. She kept silent, taking mental notes on what needed improving or changing. Her ears perked when she was called to, and she picked up her pace a bit. Reaching Issa, she bent and sniffed at the ground. "Tell me what you think it is, and then go prove it." She said simply, eyes locking onto the youth again. Her gaze darted away though when she got hit by that feeling again. The boy looked quite similar to... but it wasn't possible. No way.  

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:37 am
Issa nodded and bent closer to the ground, taking his time to identify the scent. It was definitely something he had only tasted a few times in his life, but it was enough to make a guess. "It's a Springbok." The way he said it, coupled with his hesitation, made his next few steps slow at best.

The adolescent crept closer to the watering hole, ignorant to the sounds he made as he stomped over brambles and brush. The closer he became, the more prey beasts picked up on it, and within a short amount of time he noticed that he had, indeed, been correct. A herd of Springbok had been standing before him enjoying a mid-morning drink, but now they were running away!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:06 pm
Brow cocking slightly, Idris watched with narrowed eyes. Where Issa was ignorant of the noise, Idris could hear it clear as day. When the herd was discovered running off, she shook her head. "You walk louder than they run." She scolded, looking back at the path of crunched brush.  

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:11 pm
"So? Wouldn't they think it was just one of them making the noises?" Truthfully, now that he thought about it, he felt pretty ashamed. He hadn't noticed he was making that much noise. "Ya, so, I messed up. At least we didn't get attacked, though, right?"

I mean, things could have been a lot worse, right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:17 pm
Mentally slapping a paw over her eyes, she looked on at the scurrying herd. "They know the sound of their own kind."

She opened her mouth to bark at him for making light of the situation, but then closed it again. Tail twitching, she looked at the scruffy landscape and gave a snort. "I suppose you could look at it that way." Shaking out her coat, she started toward the water for a drink of her own. It'd taken a while for that scent to be found. "I trust that you saying that means you will be keeping it in mind for next time? It's true that at any moment as the hunter, you could suddenly become the hunted, and tromping about like that won't do you any good."

Cornetified

Precious Loiterer

Painted Moose

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:29 pm
Padding after her, Issa made a loud, groaning sigh. Tracking hadn't been that difficult, it never was, but getting the jump on the prey....that was what tripped him up every time. Maybe he just wasn't cut out for the job.

"I certainly will try." He dipped his head down for a quick drink, and licked his lips. "It's nice to know where I stand as far as expertise goes, though. Being a novice isn't half as bad so long as I'm aware of what I need to work on." He smiled. "Where to now?"

[IC] Pridelands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff