Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
College Roomie Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:18 pm
Alright. I'm headed to uni soon, the 21st of August, and I'm debating on whether or not I should tell me roommate that I'm a homosexual.

As far as I can tell he seems like a cool guy, not particularly judgmental however he comes from a small town here in Michigan and considers himself a republican as well as a Catholic, but I know that doesn't mean he's a jack-wad.

While it's really not important for me to tell him, because I don't follow any particular gay stereotypes or stigmatic mannerisms, I just wonder if I should give him a heads up before bringing a boy back to the room or having him walk in on my getting frisky with another boy.

What do you guys think I should do?

Should I gauge his acceptance of homosexuality and the LGBT community or should I just outright be "hey, I like boys, hope it's not a problem"? Or should I totally just put it off until I'm "caught with my pants down around me ankles" (figuratively speaking, don't take me for a perv).

Mehhhh. I'm no good at these things /:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao
Alright. I'm headed to uni soon, the 21st of August, and I'm debating on whether or not I should tell me roommate that I'm a homosexual.

As far as I can tell he seems like a cool guy, not particularly judgmental however he comes from a small town here in Michigan and considers himself a republican as well as a Catholic, but I know that doesn't mean he's a jack-wad.

While it's really not important for me to tell him, because I don't follow any particular gay stereotypes or stigmatic mannerisms, I just wonder if I should give him a heads up before bringing a boy back to the room or having him walk in on my getting frisky with another boy.

What do you guys think I should do?

Should I gauge his acceptance of homosexuality and the LGBT community or should I just outright be "hey, I like boys, hope it's not a problem"? Or should I totally just put it off until I'm "caught with my pants down around me ankles" (figuratively speaking, don't take me for a perv).

Mehhhh. I'm no good at these things /:
I just let my room mate find out naturally. I figured the less of a big deal I acted like it was the less he would.
When my room mate did find out he was like oh thats cool. And we didn't talk about it again.  

Raleigh_Ronin

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:24 pm
You don't have to quote the first post c;

You never had any other issues? He didn't act differently towards you at all? Distant? Detached? At all bothered?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:31 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao
You don't have to quote the first post c;

You never had any other issues? He didn't act differently towards you at all? Distant? Detached? At all bothered?
Not really. Then again I should put the dislcamer that most homophobic people don't have problems with me because of how "straight acting" I appear. That or the fact I kept all my medals and Trophies on my desk. smile

But yeah, My roomate didn't act differently to me at all. He was very accepting and chill. Hell he even changed in the room while I was there. Dude didn't give a crap.  

Raleigh_Ronin

Rikku DarkHeart KH

Versatile Hunter

4,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:32 pm
Truthfully my roommate turned out to be gay so I don't know how this'll play out and I did have a similar conflict when I went to collage.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:33 pm
Ahhhhh yay! That gives me some hope c:

Thank you.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Raleigh_Ronin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:36 pm
Der Fluch des Pharao
Ahhhhh yay! That gives me some hope c:

Thank you.
If he does give you trouble let us know and we will beat him up mad  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:43 pm
Bahahha. I appreciate the gesture c:

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Yoseisame

6,200 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:15 pm
Get a feel for who he is and his acceptance, then tell him before he finds out on his own. and if it doesn't work out, get a new room-mate.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:49 pm
I would definitely wait a bit and see what his views on things are. Regarding my first (and last) roommate, he seemed pretty cool and accepting, but he turned out to be completely awful... neutral  

Veneficus Monstrum

6,700 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:45 am
just wait until it comes up naturaly in conversation, dont make a big deal out of it and just come out to him out of the blue.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 am
I just kind of let my roommate find out on his own. He didn't have a problem with it.

The unfortunate part is that even if they don't care that you're not straight, they still might be a pain in the a** to live with. xp Oh well.

They could also turn out to be a llife-long friend, though, so who knows?  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:06 am
I seriously just hope he's really chill about it. I mean, it's really no big deal in my life so I don't see why it would make a big deal in his.

Hopefully he and I can be best buds and he not be a massive p***k.

Bahahaha, wishful thinking at it's best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:06 am
Well, I have a rather different opinion. I would say tell him immediately as if he has a problem with it, then you both will want to get the situation sorted out asap (ie before college life gets hectic). Secondly, waiting may seem like hiding, and that is not the impression you want to give. Third, it is a fact of who you are, and so it is important to be yourself and accepted as such, rather than un/intentionally creating a false image that people are attracted to.

Granted, my college is insanely liberal, and cisgender heterosexuals are rather rare, but I still think it is an important detail to share with someone you are going to be living with.  

Katze Allemon-Schatten

Dapper Romantic

16,025 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:52 pm
I think it's better to be honest- but he'll find out eventually so I don't see a reason to mention it before it's relevent.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff