User Image User Image

Kuhesh was no stranger to roaming. To being displaced and being unsure where you were going or when you would get there. Fighting for every scrap you could get, always looking over your shoulder, dodging strangers like wildfire. That had been all well and good when he'd been a loner truly, but now... He sighed, thinking of Amuxiahd, back in the den, hopefully still sleeping. She was tough. Strong as the mountains she'd lived beside when they'd met. But she was not a rogue.

For a time their life together had been perfect. A new home. Love. Cubs! So many cubs. He'd never imagined so many would come to call him father. All strong, no twins. He'd thought he'd escaped his fate. And then, of course, things had come tumbling down. The pride had dispersed, leaving him and his Amu alone. Many of their children had already gone their own way, which was some comfort to him at least. Hopefully they would not think the worst if they came home to visit and found the pride in ruins.

For Amu's sake he had been hoping to find a pride. Somewhere she would like, sheltered, safe, where she could thrive. She hadn't spoken to him of the pride's fall. He was at a loss as to whatever grief she might be feeling. They'd come quite a long way, and he'd begun to scent lions again. He'd left her behind in the den, snooping ahead. Hopefully it wasn't another rogue. It smelled like too many to be just that though.

Ohitekah too had been snooping, but he'd already sighted his target. A teal and black lion creeping ever closer to the borders of his pride. The Ela'Wadiyi were not terribly unkind, but history had taught them to beware strangers. Thankfully, like Kuhesh, he'd spent part of his life as a rogue, and was rather an open-minded one at that. As the male neared the invisible line that marked the farthest edge of the pride's lands, he came loping down from the ridge he'd been watching from.

Kuhesh, spotting the pale lion, froze. An attack? But Ohi pulled up short enough yards away that Kuhesh was unable to lunge right out. It didn't stop the darker lion from bristling head to paw though. The males circled each other for several long moments, tails lashing and nostrils flaring to catch the other's scent. Finally they slowed, closing the gap to a more conversational distance. "...Kuhesh." The first said.

"Ohitekah," the other replied. "Of the Ela'Wadiyi. The pride you came near to entering. The best pride, of any I've seen, full of the kindest, noblest lions. Are you...friend or foe?"

"Friend." Kuhesh grunted, still scowling. "My mate and I hail from the Aali'Ma--well. A pride that is no more. We are rogues again, homeless, and tired. We will cause you no trouble, unless you cause us trouble first." He seemed to almost expect this, from the way he said it, which would have made a more observant lion than Ohitekah wonder. "Or is your pride...accepting, of rogues? Of new members?"

"Of course we won't bother you. The Ela'Wadiyi is better than that!" There was a blatant note of pride in the male's voice, and he puffed his chest at mention of his pride (the best pride.) "Accepting? Of course! I was a rogue too, once, you know. I know I don't look it, being so immaculate and all." His pride made the darker lion scowl again, but he seemed harmless enough. The dark male didn't comment on the pale male's "immaculate" fur. "Of course...you'd have to talk to the leader of the clans. The Ela'Wadiyi are not unkind, but they are...picky." Ohi's voice took on a more serious note. Even his boisterous nature had been tempered by life in the pride. And he loved his home dearly. "Life here is precious. And you would have to respect our ways. Adapt to them, and cast off old habits that might put the pride at risk."

"Of course." It wouldn't be the first time, for him. This at least sounded promising. Should he rouse Amu first? Perhaps...he should go on alone first, so as not to disappoint her if it didn't work out. He prayed she would sleep on a while longer. "How do I meet this leader?"

"Well, you're in luck. The clans are drawing close, at the moment. It's only a few days' walk."

Aha. Best rouse Amu then. "Very well. Wait here, and I will fetch my mate." Kuhesh nodded to the pale lion who took a seat, apaprently content to do as he was told. Back up the trail went Kuhesh, weaving through tall grass back towards the hidden den they'd found, several long minutes' walk away. He prayed quietly in the back of his mind as he went. Let this be their new home. Let this pride not fall, as the Aali had. Let Amu and himself be acceptable. What...what if Amu was, but he was not? Old fears had begun bubbling up from his heart when the Aali fell. Was it his fault? His bad luck, his curse, that he could not have a home? He knew he was not worthy of one, of life at all. Amu told him otherwise. Part of him hated himself for bringing this upon her. Maybe, if she was acceptable, and he was not, he would try to talk her into staying here without him. It would break her heart, but she would be safe...

Resigned, he thrust his head into the den and called to his slumbering mate. "...Amu?"

Back where he'd sat, Ohitekah watched the male go. A few thoughts flitted through his head, making his tail twitch and thump energetically. More newcomers! He wondered if they would be allowed to stay. The male seemed alright, if a bit serious. But the Ela might like that. Vaguely he wondered if they'd had any children, and that led to him wondering why he himself had none yet. Simply not found the right female, he told himself. A shame too...He thguoth he'd make a good father. The best father, if he could help it. Maybe if Kuhesh was allowed to stay, and in a clan near his own (he didn't dare hope they would join the shadow right out) he would be able to ask some advice. He resolved to do so, and if Kuhesh was not available, he would ask someone else. Now eager to return to the pride and begin his hunt for information, he called out over the grass, "Hurry up! We should get home soon!"

Kuhesh's ears twitched at the sound. 'We...home.' It'd be good to be home again. Hopefully permanently this time, for both of them.

[Word count: 1115]