Welcome to Gaia! ::

The School of Dedicated Roleplayers [closed]

Back to Guilds

A general roleplay guild with emphasis on improving RPers. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Tutoring, School, School of Dedicated Role Players, RPing 

Reply 08 Level 0 - The Red Zone (archive)
Summer Event: Brawler's Bash - Discussion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

starwarsbaby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 pm
Basics
Character Name: Dale Feery
How often can you check/post to the event? Depends on the day
Looks:Flaming red hair and a pair of red sunglasses. He wears a mask and long sleeves. He has a hood and long pants, all red. He has a single spike protruding from his head, scales, and a tail.
Personality: Dale thinks he's better than any of his opponents. Because of his amazing fire abilities, he usually isn't wrong. Although, he does find opponents that can defeat him.
Brief bio/introduction biggrin ale is a young dragon-like humanoid from the mountains. He grew up learning how to fight and use magic. His father died in war when he was 10. He now searches in vengeance for his father's killer.
Describe your fighting style:He uses mostly magic but can use his sword if necessary. He also fights with his claws and tail.
Describe your weapons: His sword and claws are the extent of his armed combat.

Stats
Scale of 0-20 with < 5 being dysfunctional and 20 being incredibly adept. The average is between 10 and 13. You have 75 points to put into the following:
Strength: 15
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 18
Intelligence: 20
Wisdom: 7
Charisma: 5

Abilities
Scale of 0-5 with 0 being completely inexperienced and 5 being mastery. You have 30 points to put into the following:
Armor: head 2, torso 1, legs 1, tail 1
Armed Combat: sword 2
Unarmed Combat: claws 1, tail 1
Magic: Fireball 3, Fire stream 5, fire meteor 2, fire whip 3, summon fire man 2, fire trail 5  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:17 am
Watervoir
Omg, that would be hilarious! It would bring out creativity in the writers of magic users.

Precisely. This would probably be one of the later rounds (but before we run out of even numbers of magic users) so the writers should be up to the challenge.

Watervoir
I think I should be under Guard; I used to be a crowd marshal. > u<

D'oh. . . still there's not enough of either.

Watervoir
Do it in both forums? Would that get messy?
I'm under the assumption that Barton Town would get more traffic than Writing Contests, making the former the more ideal candidate to hold this if we ever decide to do it only in one. From casual observation, people don't usually report things in BT and maybe if we don't stick the words 'writing' and 'contest' in the same sentence, then we might be able to pass it off as an RP. That said, I don't know for sure how tight mods/reporting folk would be on the fine line we're drawing, so it might be good to be cautious about it nonetheless.

With the walk-in RP frame this would soundly fit in BT (large part of the reason for the walk-in frame). They are incredibly not picky about their RPs there so that's all it takes to get in. I do need to kick Mel into drawing more though because they do care about looks.

As for using the competition forum, I was thinking we could maybe have the fighters post their fights to a thread there and the judges/announcer bring the winner into the RP thread to keep it clean and make the winner more obvious but also advertise in the writing contest since that part is a contest.

Just an idea.

Watervoir
Oh oh! I don't know if this is a good idea, but maybe if we're going for cheap prizes, maybe we could give out stuff that has more of a symbolic meaning than a monetary value. Like how different coloured belts work in martial arts. So whoever wins one round gets blue coloured bubble gum and whoever wins two get red coloured bubble gum (a post in the first page would have to keep track of who has what though; items on avatars alone don't really mean anything since anyone can buy the items off the marketplace). I think legit prizes would monetary value would be better, but this is still a thought I'd like to toss up for consideration.

Hmm. . . so a little prize for every fight? Depending on how many fighters we end up with this could be doable. Any ideas of what sorts of little prizes?

Mel and I definitely want to give legit prizes for at least the last few rounds. We were thinking of doing a sort of old gods theme with the prizes. We have a Bacchus, Gift of the Gods, and Gift of the Goddess MCs sitting around we were thinking of using but would like some more ideas for specific prizes. Right now we don't have a set budget so go crazy and we'll see how much cash we can come up with.

The overall winner would also get a cash prize but we have no idea what a good number for that would be so suggestions are appreciated.

Donations are also very welcome. Please make donations to the guild mule (School Of Dedicated RPers). All donations will be recognized in the event and on our donors list sticky (which we are working on getting put together).

Watervoir
And we were going to stick in some kind of special recognition for best ____, right?

Yes, that is an idea. Those may just be bragging rights but we could possibly come up with some actual prizes for those as well. We just need ideas.

Is it better to have a lot of little prizes or fewer big ones?

Watervoir
And as another note, if someone's willing to draw art for the winners... I don't know, seems like a possible idea.

Mel plans to do a commissioned piece for the overall winner and will probably end up drawing at least portraits of the fighters that make it to the later rounds. Depending on the whims of her muse which (you may have noticed) is incredibly unreliable.

Any other artists willing to donate commissions for prizes please let us know.

Watervoir
We could have the opposite of anti-gravity too. What would that make it... extreme gravity? x3

Oooh. . . hmm. . . that would be interesting. It might make up for having the anti-magic fields since extra gravity would hurt non-magic users more.  

Ivaylo_Sai

Ivaylo_Sai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:26 am
NativeForeigner
Watervoir
@ NativeForeigner: awwwwww. ):

I know. I'm kinda sad about it. I always enjoy writing out fights for Carpenter (I imported him from my RP) and was looking forward to some good competition. Oh well~.

When do you get back from your camp thing? The event might go a long while so if you get back before it ends we could have you be in one of the final rounds as a Champion fight or something.

Also you could run a test fight with one of the other fighters signed up so far. Just find one willing.

Did the judges ever look at those? I'll get Mel to do her part on that tonight. Along with all the drawing.

NativeForeigner
I like the idea of an arena that shifts gravity mid fight. Could make for some interesting scenes!

I like this. It could be a sort of floating cage that occasional shifts. I've seen this in a video game. . . *thinks* God of War . . . the last one I think. Man, I hated that part.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:29 am
starwarsbaby
Basics
Character Name: Dale Feery
How often can you check/post to the event? Depends on the day
Looks:Flaming red hair and a pair of red sunglasses. He wears a mask and long sleeves. He has a hood and long pants, all red. He has a single spike protruding from his head, scales, and a tail.
Personality: Dale thinks he's better than any of his opponents. Because of his amazing fire abilities, he usually isn't wrong. Although, he does find opponents that can defeat him.
Brief bio/introduction biggrin ale is a young dragon-like humanoid from the mountains. He grew up learning how to fight and use magic. His father died in war when he was 10. He now searches in vengeance for his father's killer.
Describe your fighting style:He uses mostly magic but can use his sword if necessary. He also fights with his claws and tail.
Describe your weapons: His sword and claws are the extent of his armed combat.

Stats
Scale of 0-20 with < 5 being dysfunctional and 20 being incredibly adept. The average is between 10 and 13. You have 75 points to put into the following:
Strength: 15
Dexterity: 13
Constitution: 18
Intelligence: 20
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 1

Abilities
Scale of 0-5 with 0 being completely inexperienced and 5 being mastery. You have 30 points to put into the following:
Armor: head 2, torso 3, legs 2, tail 3
Armed Combat: sword 2
Unarmed Combat: claws 1, tail 2
Magic: Fireball 3, Fire stream 3, fire meteor 2, fire whip 2, summon fire man 2, fire trail 3

Yay~ More fighter!

Wow, that is one ugly b*****d at a Charisma under 5. That's like. . . pile of gore ugly. Also a nasty personality (Charisma is a measure of your physical attractiveness and people skills) which would be very bad in any team rounds that might happen.

Other than that it looks good.  

Ivaylo_Sai

starwarsbaby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:07 pm
I didn't have any points left, plus I coudn't take his intelligence and strength.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:23 pm
@Vay: I get back from camp on the eighteenth. I have to unpack everything between then and the twentieth, and then I start work on the twenty-first. I think I'd like to acclimate to my new job and location for at least a week before committing to anything.  

NativeForeigner

Watervoir
Vice Captain

Dangerous Glitch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:27 pm
Double awwwwww. ):

Lol Vay you're frowning at anyone who has below five points for anything.
I think based on this we might need better descriptors for the elements of the profile skeleton so everyone gets a better understanding of what they're giving stats for.

BTW I forgot if they did, but the judges are also judging by how accurate the written work is reflective of each competitor's stats, right? So maybe it won't matter too much what an individual's stats are in particular, as long as the writers adhere to the values.

Reply to whatever earlier: think it might be a good idea to number these topics?

1) Around how many marshals and guards do you think we would need?

Also, how many marshals do we need per fight? From what I can tell about how this might go, I can't imagine there to be more than one fight going on at a time, given the amount of pressure an extensive amount of fights would put on the judges. Besides that, I'm not sure as to how much influence of marshals would have since all of the fights are to be written all in one go in one post.

2) I like the current working idea of double forum usage.

3) I dig our gods themed prizes! <3
If there's no budget, a good prize could be a current MC/REI/EI. Or the Zodiacal is always nice...

Some possible item sets:
-BubbleNum Set (Probably the cheapest option at 25g each)
-Brainpop Set
-Cupcake Set (The items in question are scattered around, but I think you'll be able to figure out which is which.)

So these items would be more for commemorative purposes than anything. The goal could be to collect them all or it could be to advance colour stages.

OR MAYBE we could let them trade in small prizes for big prizes. Or, if we go with points, we could forgo small representative items/prizes and just let people trade in points instead.

4) According to psychology, a lot of little prizes is the most ideal.

5) I might be willing to donate commissions but I'll have to see about thaaaaat.

6) Lol, I love how you can always see the best in/make the most of my random ideas!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:49 am
The instructions do say less than 5 is dysfunctional and that 20 is incredible. I'll see what I can do to word that better. . .

Scores under 5 in any stat will cause major difficulties in doing things that use that stat. A Score of 1 in any stat make the character basically incapable of doing things that require that stat.

Scores over 18 are near inhuman allowing the character to push the boundaries of what is humanly possible.

Scores of 8 to 10 are the human average. Scores of 10 to 13 are the player character average (since PCs tend to be slightly above average).

I'm working on a breakdown to explain this better. . . suggestions and comments are welcome but keep in mind it's not finished.

Score of 0:
Strength: Can not move
Dexterity: Can not move
Constitution: Unconscious
Intelligence: Unconscious
Wisdom: Unconscious
Charisma: So ugly as to cause vomiting and violent reactions on sight

Score of 1:
Strength: Punch like a kitten
Dexterity: About as mobile as Jello (you can wiggle and that's about it)
Constitution: One light hit and you're down
Intelligence: Dumb as a cow
Wisdom: Completely oblivious
Charisma: Sight of you causes revulsion and hatred

Score of 2-3:
Strength: Can lift a milk jug
Dexterity: Move like mummy
Constitution: One good hit and you're down
Intelligence: Dog smart
Wisdom: Notice when things are coming at you but that's about it
Charisma: People find you gross and unlikable

Score of 4-5:
Strength: Can carry the rest of the groceries
Dexterity: Graceful as a Zombie (not the fast kind)
Constitution: Can take a couple hits
Intelligence: Barely capable of human language
Wisdom: Able to trace the source of thrown objects
Charisma: Your presence causes general uneasiness

Scores below 5:
Strength: Can not use blunt weapons (clubs, maces, hammers), can not use medium or heavier weapons (swords, pole arms, axes), can not use medium or heavier armor (2 or more points of armor)
Dexterity: Can not use ranged weapons (guns, bows, darts, etc), can not use medium or heavier armor (2 or more points of armor)
Constitution:
Intelligence: Can not use learned spell type magic
Wisdom: Can not use inner strength type magic
Charisma: Can not use summoning type magic

Scores of 6-7:
Strength: You hit like a girl wink
Dexterity: Cumbersome as a giant
Constitution: Can take a few hard hits
Intelligence: Can do simple math
Wisdom: Can recognize when someone is about to attack
Charisma: You are unattractive but not revolting

Score of 8-9:
Strength: Can carry a box of paper (50 lbs)
Dexterity: A little clumsy but generally do ok
Constitution: Can take some hard hits and more lighter ones
Intelligence: Can use basic tactics (throw sand in eyes, feign attack, trips)
Wisdom: Can anticipate direction of attacks (when not feigned)
Charisma: Unremarkable

Scores below 10:
Strength: Can not use heavy weapons (large swords, axes, hammers), can not reliably use (3 or more points) medium weapons, can not wear heavy armor (4 or more points)
Dexterity: Can not reliably use (3 or more points) ranged weapons (guns, bows, darts, etc), can not wear heavy armor (4 or more points)
Constitution:
Intelligence: Can not use learned spell type magic
Wisdom: Can not use inner strength type magic
Charisma: Can not use summoning type magic

Score of 10-11:
Strength: May not embarrass yourself at the gym
Dexterity: Not the greatest dancer but you don't trip or spill things
Constitution: Can take a beating
Intelligence: Can use intermediate tactics (improvised weapon, take advantage of environmental hazards).
Wisdom: Can anticipate general nature of attack
Charisma: Generally likable

Score of 12-13:
Strength: Your bench press weight is respectable
Dexterity: Good dancer but no professional
Constitution:
Intelligence: Can use advanced tactics (ricochet, arching)
Wisdom: Can anticipate simple moves
Charisma: Popular

Score of 14-15:
Strength: You were probably on the weight lifting team in high school
Dexterity: Could be a dancer
Constitution:
Intelligence: Can devise complex, multi-step strategies
Wisdom: Can anticipate combination moves
Charisma: You could go into politics

Scores below 15:
Strength: Can not master (4 or more points) heavy weapons
Dexterity: Can not master (4 or more points) ranged weapons
Constitution:
Intelligence: Can not master (4 or more points) learned spell type magic
Wisdom: Can not master (4 or more points) inner strength type magic
Charisma: Can not master (4 or more points) summoning type magic

Score of 16-17:
Strength: Heavy-weight boxer
Dexterity:
Constitution:
Intelligence: Can perform field chemistry (make bombs)
Wisdom: Can anticipate opponent's next move
Charisma: Rock Star

Score of 18-19:
Strength: Professional body builder
Dexterity: Acrobat
Constitution:
Intelligence:
Wisdom: Can anticipate opponent's next few moves
Charisma: Super Star

Score of 20:
Strength: World's Strongest Man
Dexterity: Contortionist
Constitution: Rasputin (poisoned, shot three times -once in the head-, beaten, then drowned in a freezing river before dying)
Intelligence: Stephen Hawking
Wisdom: Kung-fu guru
Charisma: World leader  

Ivaylo_Sai

EmpyreanFlight

Dapper Dabbler

6,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:45 am
Ivaylo_Sai

Constitution: Rasputin (poisoned, shot three times -once in the head-, beaten, then drowned in a freezing river before dying)

I got a pretty good laugh out of this.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:01 am
EmpyreanFlight
Ivaylo_Sai

I got a pretty good laugh out of this.

Heh, glad ta be of service. Seriously though, you should read up on it. That guy was a creepy freak.  

Ivaylo_Sai

DragnGuy7

Friendly Explorer

6,800 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:26 pm
Well after looking over the little sheet Vay graciously put up, I'm happy to see my Character isn't a few things and happy to see he is others. Perfect! Exactly how I wished him. I must have had a better grasp for the levels than I thought.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:09 pm
I'm for the Cupcake Set for small prizes. Depending on how long we want this to last, I am for the idea of trading in small prizes for big prizes. I'm tempted to say 3 cupcakes = 1 big prize. I'm certainly willing to buy the cupcakes or donate the money for the mule to buy them.

I also like double forum usage. It'd definitely keep everything clean in the main RP.

We should be okay within Barton Town because the writing contest - while a huge part of this RP - isn't going to be the only thing. Heck, anyone going in there can just post and leave whenever they want as part of the audience and start up their own side drama/side quest thing. And if they find they want to join in on the contest, they're certainly free to do so.  

Isa-sama

umbraja
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:37 pm
Wee~ Finally back from being sick and ready to get this thing rolling!

I've posted a construction thread (please don't post in that thread, post here) for the event which will host the guild side of the event info stuff links to things and such (Ok, so I'm still a little out of it but bare with me). Take a look at that thread and let me know here if anything doesn't make sense, point out typos/grammar errors (Crew just fix it if you find any), and pretty please give suggestions here for anything that's missing in that thread.

Basically what we're missing is:

Donations - If have any gold or items at all to spare please donate for the event by sending a trade to the guild mule (School Of Dedicated RPers).

Staff Volunteers - we need more Marshals and Guards. Please volunteer to help out. We will love you forever for it.

Mini-Games - to give the non-fighters something to do we'll be hosting mini-games on the side. I need suggestions for what these should be and how they should be handled as well as volunteers to run them.

Vendors - we need more of them and to figure out how to handle them. You may notice I mention in that construction thread that we'll be allowing real shops so if you've got a shop let us know and we'll figure out a way to include it.

Gambling - I'm guessing this is allowed but if it's not PLEASE let me know. You may have noticed in the construction thread that I mention Lady Luck, the Games' official Bookie. Well, I need a volunteer to run that and some help figuring out how it should be handled. Most likely it would be treated like a vendor but I'm not sure.

Prizes and awards - we need to figure out specific prizes and what they should be for. Like the overall winner should get what item, the runner up should get what item, the last magic user standing should get what, the last non-magic user, the most interesting character, etc. We also need prizes for non-fighters. PLEASE suggest some.

Right now the idea is god-themed items and artwork for big prizes and color schemes (possibly cupcakes) for small ones. Please suggest (or better yet, donate) some god-themed items. If you're an artist we'd be honored if you'd donate a commission for a prize.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:51 pm
Hey Mel! Welcome back. :D

Wow, you guys totally blew me away with that thread write-up. It looks great! Props to Mel and everyone else who contributed to writing it up.

Fiona's only up on the fighters roster for show, right? I wasn't going to compete in anymore than the test run.

Also, I could be wrong but I don't think you can page stretch on Gaia's main forums nowadays. A horizontal scroll bar pops up if the post's contents take up too much horizontal space.

As far as I'm aware, gambling (you mean like a lottery, right?) is allowed on Gaia. There's an entire forum for that too.

I'll try to come up with some stuff for mini-games, hmmmm.  

Watervoir
Vice Captain

Dangerous Glitch

School Of Dedicated RPers
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Event RP | Contest | Guild | Discussion | OOC | Profiles | Vendors

I've about got the Summer Event threads all prettied up and ready to go (except for graphics because I am awful). I just need to have y'all look over it to be sure it all makes sense and for y'all to post your character profiles to the Profiles thread.

Mr. Blackbird Lore

Watervoir

Isa-sama

Jikial

EmpyreanFlight

I could use some volunteers to run the shops as well but definitely need the already committed shop owner to post their shop in the Vendors thread and submit the new vendor application (found in that thread) here.

EmpyreanFlight

I also need the fighters to officially submit their applications to the Contest thread. Be sure you read the thread and pull the new application code (in case it changed) from it. Also be sure you give me a good fighter intro.

NativeForeigner

starwarsbaby

Venom3001

DragnGuy7

SiberDrac

08 Level 0 - The Red Zone (archive)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items