Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
School GSA's! :D Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:15 pm
I heard my school is starting a GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) Club next year and I'm excited to see what it will be like. (:

What do GSA Clubs usually do at your schools? I have no idea what mine would do.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:23 pm
We didn't actually have an SGA /IN/ my high school. There were just posters for it up in the school, and the meetings took place at Access AIDS a few blocks away, as the gentleman who ran the meetings worked there.

Generally, we would provide support for one another, have educational presentations, (on matters ranging from rights to the subject of safe sex) and we would organize events that were meant to educate and spread awareness. I remember getting frustrated a few times because some of our members were a little immature about certain subjects, but I normally enjoyed going.

Impy Kun

Dapper Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Sin Error

Elder

7,850 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:12 am
No such thing is known here where I live xd
and even if someone tried to put a GSA together it would shut down by the principals of the schools.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:48 am
Sin Error
No such thing is known here where I live xd
and even if someone tried to put a GSA together it would shut down by the principals of the schools.
same here but then again i'm the only gay person around so XD.  

Elementalists

Loyal Werewolf

3,950 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:38 pm
I'm in college- our GSA hosts our county's Gay Pride, we hold Diversity Panels that address discrimination in our community, are holding a LGBT film screening every month, and bringing awareness to LGBT issues by participating in TDR, Day of Silence and other events.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:43 pm
My school never had one. xD Never will, I don't think. We don't really need an alliance, everyone's socially cool with it. Well, most people in New Zealand any how.
First year in college and still people don't care. It's great.

AnnaBananaBear

Stuck On Replay

Gracious Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:53 am
Our school has a GSA, although it isn't really active in anything /:
To be honest, most of the time we sit around watching Glee or some other show like that. That's what it is like this year, but last year we had a really good GSA with a teacher I really loved, but our principal is anti-LGBT, so she basically forced him to quit. The only reason she didn't do that this year was because the new teacher that hosts GSA has worked in the school for a long time, and it would be suspicious if he just randomly quit or was fired. We're getting a new principal next year, hopefully he is accepting of the LGBT community.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:20 am
Our high school has a GSA, but I'm not in it, though. I think I should join next year. But the kids attended the Boston Pride Rally and invited other kids who aren't in the club to join as well.  

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:50 am
This year our GSA is going to hold a monthly movie night!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:52 pm
I don't think my school has a GSA, but I know my sister's school does. I don't mind the fact that they do have a GSA, but I mind the fact as to how the people in the GSA at her school handle it. Sure, they do all the stuff GSA's usually do, but it's one of those schools where all the students think they're so awesome and that everyone else isn't, and everyone's a bit hostile to people that don't go to their school. And they treat everything they think is different as either weird, or as "look at us, we're so cutting edge," which is how they treat the GSA apparently. So if anything, it's more of a way for said members to pretty much show off how caring they are. :/

I don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way with what I typed above (and below), but if I do, I'm really sorry. I'm not trying to.

Personally, I think it'd be kind of nice to have a GSA at my school, but I don't think it'd be received very well- the comment "You's gay" is thrown around my school like someone saying "hello" a lot of the time. It might be received well, seeing as one of my friends is bisexual, is out, and noone has a problem with it. But seeing as a bunch of homophobic comments are thrown about, I don't think it'd work out all that well.

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:57 pm
Dancehall Hysteria
So if anything, it's more of a way for said members to pretty much show off how caring they are. :/

Melissa Etheridge did an interview back when TaTu first hit the scene- she talked about her experiences having to hide being a lesbian in the music industry for so long, compared to the rumors that Tatu were faking being lesbians for fan following- and how far people have come that the very idea that you could be lesbain would make your music popular instead of killing your career.

I think it's like that- if people want to "show off" by being in the GSA, as long as they're getting things done- AWESOME!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:05 am
My school has a GSA. We did a lot of different things. Of course we did the HIV/AIDS testing day. That was actually a lot of fun. We also did a Silent Rave. There were a few other things we did, but I can't remember what they are. Hope that helps you out.  

luver_4ever

1,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:27 am
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria
So if anything, it's more of a way for said members to pretty much show off how caring they are. :/

Melissa Etheridge did an interview back when TaTu first hit the scene- she talked about her experiences having to hide being a lesbian in the music industry for so long, compared to the rumors that Tatu were faking being lesbians for fan following- and how far people have come that the very idea that you could be lesbain would make your music popular instead of killing your career.

I think it's like that- if people want to "show off" by being in the GSA, as long as they're getting things done- AWESOME!

true, but apparently all they do is pretty much sit around and talk. :/  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:16 pm
My school despretley needs one >_<  

Skinny Legend

Lonely Abductee

9,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100

Sajjue

Sparkly Fairy

9,500 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:27 pm
Gaga_Happily Emo_Gaga
My school despretley needs one >_<

THIS. People in my school are very homophobic.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff