Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:09 pm
User Image

Kalanu was exhausted. She'd finally managed to catch up to the Mantis clan but she'd had to keep going along with them as they continued towards their next camp. While she managed to avoid discussing what had gotten her separated from the clan, she stuck close to her family and she knew it was only a matter of time before someone noticed she wasn't her usual cheerful self.. but she couldn't seem to put on a smile just yet.

After they settled and she finally had a chance to rest, she didn't seem to have it in her to cheer up. She was disappointed in Poa for refusing to join her, for not saying anything more than his clan needed him.. and she was disappointed in herself for expecting more, even if she thought she hadn't.

"Are they back yet?"

Sesere was happy to keep Kalanu company, she loved the ridiculous lion.. but she didn't care for all this sulking. The avian had been expecting this much earlier and now she knew it would have been better. She'd never thought Poa to be very romantic, she was surprised it got as far as it did.

Not that she could say anything like that now.

"It's barely been five minutes since I checked," she said, scratching idly at the dirt by Kalanu's paw, "How long do you suppose you can get away with not hunting?"  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:26 pm
User Image

Dongo liked to think he was observant of all his children. Which was a lot of children... And they were all adults, which complicated matters. What made things even MORE complicated was the six daughters, visiting other clans to try and entice males home to the Mantis Clan. Or so he liked to think. He'd have to have a good long chat with at least ONE of these beaus of his baby girls... Especially if problems arose. And it seemed something HAD arisen as a problem, for he found one of his younger five children, Kalanu, very.. Mopey. The gold lion blinked, before going over to her. "Kalanu...? I thought you were out hunting with your brothers and sisters..." Which ones hunted again...? He'd have to stop and try to remember that.  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:36 pm
Sesere spotted Dongo approaching before Kalanu but she barely had time to click her beak in warning before he was there. Not that it mattered, her parents were inevitably going to get involved. She hopped off to the opposite side of the lioness to give them room to talk without a little black bird between them.

Kalanu wasn't keeping an eye on her surroundings but she wasn't terribly surprised when someone approached her, she hadn't made any effort to hide her sulking- or her slacking off. She lifted her head and looked over to her father, shaking her head.

"No, I didn't feel like hunting," she said, "They should be back soon anyway, shouldn't they?"

Sesere sighed.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:48 pm
An eyebrow went up. "I see..." He walked around her, then lay down so that he was parallel to his daughter. "Are you okay, Kalanu...? Something seems to have you down..." He reached over, gently cupping her chin in his paw. "You're not feeling unskilled, are you? Or is it..." He looked around, hesitating before turning back and dropping his voice to a whisper. "Lioness problems...? Because I can get your mother if that's it..." He could feel his face flushing with embarrassment about asking such a thing. Then a serious tone took over. "Or is it a boy...? Because I'm not above going after him if he's doing anything to HURT you..."  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:03 pm
Without thinking, she leaned against her father when he lay down beside her. She wasn't trying to hide her mood anyway, this was better than sulking by herself- except now she had to talk about it.

"No, it just-" she started, frowning when he offered to go after a boy who hurt her. She could appreciate the sentiment but she didn't know what to say to it so she fell silent.

Sesere could see Kalanu shutting back down and shook her head. With another sigh, she hopped back out to be in front the pair of lions. She had exactly zero problem speaking up and even causing a little trouble if she had to.

"Poa wouldn't come to the Mantis clan with her," she said quickly, hopping back so Kalanu couldn't try to stop her, "She's sad."  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:08 pm
So it WAS about a boy! Dongo shifted closer, wrapping an arm around Kalanu's shoulder. "It's okay, little sugar baby..." He licked her cheek, then rested his chin on her head, rumbling deep in his chest to calm her. "He may not be ready QUITE yet... But if he's just not willing... Should I go talk with him myself?" Of course, it would help if he knew what this Poa looked like... He looked at the little bird, blinking almost owlishly at her. "So... What does Poa look like again...? If I'm gonna go chat with this male who's made my little girl cry..."  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:11 pm
Kalanu squeaked quietly when her father pulled closer, leaning against him and finally feeling a little better, even just knowing her father was there with her. She didn't take his question seriously when he asked if he needed to go talk to Poa. They were a couple days away from the Shadow Clan right now, it wasn't something to seriously consider.

"Orangey fur, white mane with a weird brown part right at the top," Sesere said calmly, happy to go along with it. Doing something, or at least saying you were doing something.. it had to be better for Kalanu than just laying around sulking.

"Has this weird sunshine tattoo on his side--"

"Hey!" she interrupted, pulling away from her father and glaring between the both of them, "Don't! It's OK, I'm OK."

She didn't really look it, or even sound it as she swallowed a sob. It was hard enough without involving anybody else, she should have been able to put a smile back on and act like everything was OK.

"Just.. don't," she murmured.

Sesere stared at Kalanu for a moment before sighing and looking back at Dongo.

"He won't listen to you anyway," she said, finally siding with Kalanu, "He chose his clan, someone from there would need to talk sense into him. Because he's an idiot."

The little bird puffed up, nodding confidently.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:11 am
Dongo's eyebrows went up again. "So then... You want me to leave him be..." He cuddled his daughter again. "He may be scared, though... Going to a new clan and all, leaving his family behind..." He shifted, then looked a little sheepish. "Though I can kind of see why, about half the Mantis Clan is... Us..." He motioned a bit between himself and Kalanu, indicating their whole family. "I think we may need to convince new lions to join the Mantis Clan..." He looked away for a moment, cheeks coloring with blush. He couldn't help it, though, Huong was just so... So... Well, the proof was in the pudding, as it were...  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:49 am
"I know," Kalanu sighed, looking down at her paws and not saying anything more as her father continued on about the Mantis Clan being mostly made up of the Kalisetsi family. It was, indeed, almost half but the clan was small and it wasn't a big deal. Unless, she supposed, you wanted to find a mate within your own clan.

"I knew it wouldn't be easy for Poa," she said, "I've always known how important his clan is to him. I just thought maybe.. maybe.."

Maybe what? That he loved her enough? Enough, at least, not to immediately back away and give an excuse.

"How does anybody get this to work out?" she asked sadly. She didn't know anybody who had married into another clan, all the couples in the Mantis clan were already together when she was small but she didn't know a single story about any of the boys starting in another clan. She wasn't sure anybody had married out of the clan, either. But she knew the rule, it had to happen sometime or there wouldn't be a rule.

Sesere decidedly stayed out of the conversation now, hopping back a couple steps and just watching Kalanu as she trailed off. She ruffled up her feathers a little more, thinking about the unhappy situation they were in now. She hadn't really known Poa very well, she'd let them have their own time together without her being around too much.. maybe a little bit because she was expecting trouble like this. But she didn't have to like it.

Without another word to either lion, Sesere pushed herself off the ground and took off, leaving the father and daughter alone.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:07 pm
"I see.." The male then smiled. "Would you believe your mother left a whole other pride to come here with me?" He still remembered that night very well, the fear in Huong's eyes about invading males taking over her home pride... She'd never really talked much about her parentage, come to think of it, or how her parents had even met. He only knew that she'd grown up in a pride full of nothing but females, where ALL males were sent away, and only came around to make cubs. Bringing her to a pride with a population of males had been a culture shock... And so had raising their first son. Dongo still wondered about Rajeev sometimes... "Of course, there were very DIFFERENT circumstances going on that led to us coming here..."  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:42 pm
Kalanu was still frowning and staring at her feet.. but when her father said that her mother had left a pride to be here with him, she looked over to him with wide eyes. Changing clan was one thing, you were still a part of the same group and even if you didn't know which migration paths the other clans followed exactly, you knew you could find your friends if you really needed to.. or you could simply wait for the Sky Festival. Another pride was entirely different.

"She- she did?"

It was hard to imagine her parents before they were here, before she and all of her brothers and sisters were here. But then, it was also surprising that she had never thought to ask about this before.

"What do you mean?" she asked, tilting her head.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:48 pm
Ecavi

"Oh, just what I said!" He motioned somewhere to the south and west. "See, your mother grew up in a pride very different from this one. They live in a jungle far from here - It's like the Star Grove, except the trees stretch for MILES, and it's very humid and hotter than here, and much wetter. The pride is also very different - From what your mother told me, it was ONLY females allowed in, with them leaving to find a male to have cubs with. Until..." He frowned. "A group of males came in and took over, and your mother ran away, preferring to leave her pride sisters than be subjugated by those invading males. I think the fact I didn't have my full mane yet helped relax her around me, since the other males had full manes... And she's still learning, even now, about how to handle life in a pride of mixed genders, AND so big." He paused. "That's another thing - Not all prides are as big as this one, even broken up into clans like we are. Some are as small as just one clan, others smaller than just one of our clans... But.. Yes, that's how your mother came here with me."  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:02 pm
She looked at her father with wide green eyes as he told her a story she had to wonder how she had never heard before. Maybe she had and she just didn't pay enough attention. Mom ran away from her pride for other reasons but it did seem like love was what stopped her from going back.

So it could happen, hearing a personal story about this kind of thing made it feel more reasonable than knowing it was just how things worked. She wasn't sure if it made her feel better or not.

"Oh."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:20 pm
Dongo hummed, 'hugging' his daughter as he moved next to her. "The world works out right in the end for us all, baby girl..." He gave her ear a lick, letting out a fatherly rumble. "He'll come around, don't worry, and then he'll know what he could have missed out on and be glad for the choice he made." Much like Dongo, who was glad for the choice he made in leaving the Pridelands area to see the world, meet a lioness, and find a place to settle in the Ela lands. It had all worked out in the end.  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50
[IC] Ela'wadiyi Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items