Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply All In the Golden Afternoon
Alice in Art -- Yayoi Kusama

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you an artist?
Absolutely! Art is my life; I have a drawing utensil in my hand more often than not.
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
I'm fond of it... I'm not GOOD at art, but I like attempting it!
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Ehhhhhh... I'm 50/50 on it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'll make beautiful art if I have to, but it doesn't take up my free time by choice.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NO! I HATE ART! We aren't cave people anymore; let's move on to better things!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I prefer art history to actual art. ^_^;
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Art is just art; I have no opinion on it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:39 pm
Greetings, guild!

Alice in Wonderland is obviously a fantastic place, and it's probably obvious that it's inspired more than one artist. There's so much material to work with that it manages to transcend style; anyone with any favorite form of art can depict Alice in Wonderland in their own way... and still capture that quintessential thing that made the original tale such a children's classic.

So! I'm going to be trying to hunt down some artists who have taken a stab at interpreting Alice in Wonderland through art... and feel free to share your own! I'll make a list of artists easily accessible... and maybe we'll all find new favorites!

And this isn't just an image thread; let's discuss! What style of art do you think captures the Alice feeling best in your opinion? Is there an artist you know that you'd love to see taking on Wonderland?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:41 pm
Yayoi Kusama

If you know anything about art history... or, heck, anything about contemporary art, you know the name Yayoi Kusama. Ms. Kusama is a Japanese avant-garde artist, and she is identified as one of the most prolific Japanese modern contemporary artists. She is probably most widely known as 'the polka dot lady'; much of her art features large dots with solid colors. This is Kusama's way of showing the world how she sees things; she has a disorder that leaves her seeing spots. She is a politically active, eccentric, and part of the hippie counter-culture, and her personal life was a constant struggle against physical and mental illness, for which she was frequently hospitalized. She is still living and making social statements with art today.

Wikipedia Biography | Alternative Outline of her Works | Yayoi Kusama's Personal Website

I highly recommend that you check out the last link if you have even a passing interest in art; she has such an interesting way of exploring the world around her through her art!! Kuama's art site is available in both Japanese and English. ^_^

What does Yayoi Kusama have to do with Alice in Wonderland?

I'm glad you asked! According to this article, Ms. Kusama has released a book illustrating Alice in Wonderland. Her abstract, semi-lucid style seems to adapt well to the idea... the article includes not only some pictures of the book she is releasing, but also a YouTube video of a small portion of the book for your viewing pleasure. Personally, I can't wait until I can find this in my local bookstore... it seems like it'll be extremely trippy, but fun!

So! What do you think? Of Yayoi Kusama, her style, or her Alice in Wonderland illustrations?

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

Victoria Whitechapel

7,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:13 pm
Lady March Hare
Yayoi Kusama

If you know anything about art history... or, heck, anything about contemporary art, you know the name Yayoi Kusama. Ms. Kusama is a Japanese avant-garde artist, and she is identified as one of the most prolific Japanese modern contemporary artists. She is probably most widely known as 'the polka dot lady'; much of her art features large dots with solid colors. This is Kusama's way of showing the world how she sees things; she has a disorder that leaves her seeing spots. She is a politically active, eccentric, and part of the hippie counter-culture, and her personal life was a constant struggle against physical and mental illness, for which she was frequently hospitalized. She is still living and making social statements with art today.

Wikipedia Biography | Alternative Outline of her Works | Yayoi Kusama's Personal Website

I highly recommend that you check out the last link if you have even a passing interest in art; she has such an interesting way of exploring the world around her through her art!! Kuama's art site is available in both Japanese and English. ^_^

What does Yayoi Kusama have to do with Alice in Wonderland?

I'm glad you asked! According to this article, Ms. Kusama has released a book illustrating Alice in Wonderland. Her abstract, semi-lucid style seems to adapt well to the idea... the article includes not only some pictures of the book she is releasing, but also a YouTube video of a small portion of the book for your viewing pleasure. Personally, I can't wait until I can find this in my local bookstore... it seems like it'll be extremely trippy, but fun!

So! What do you think? Of Yayoi Kusama, her style, or her Alice in Wonderland illustrations?

I hope I will be able to find her book I agree it looks very interesting thanks for sharing it xd  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:17 pm
Victoria Whitechapel
I hope I will be able to find her book I agree it looks very interesting thanks for sharing it xd

No problem! I'm very fond of Ms. Kusama's art in general, even if contemporary art isn't generally my cup of tea. She's a very interesting character who seems to have made serious effort at making the best of a bad mental condition. She's a tough little thing!  

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:50 pm
Her art is very interesting, I will have to search out her alice in Wonderland book so I can see it. I am curious to see how she did the Cheshire cat in her style.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:38 pm
Kahlan_BrightBlade
Her art is very interesting, I will have to search out her alice in Wonderland book so I can see it. I am curious to see how she did the Cheshire cat in her style.

Agreed! It seems like a concept that she would have a really unique interpretation of. I haven't been able to find her book yet... then again, I haven't been looking as hard as I might be. XD  

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:35 pm
Lady March Hare
Kahlan_BrightBlade

Agreed! It seems like a concept that she would have a really unique interpretation of. I haven't been able to find her book yet... then again, I haven't been looking as hard as I might be. XD

Indeed, hmm I guess look harder. maybe thee are some at a discount bookstore somewhere.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:03 pm
Kahlan_BrightBlade
Indeed, hmm I guess look harder. maybe thee are some at a discount bookstore somewhere.

I haven't been by a bookstore in so long... maybe. Anywhere with a contemporary art section, that is. XD  

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:09 pm
Lady March Hare
Kahlan_BrightBlade

I haven't been by a bookstore in so long... maybe. Anywhere with a contemporary art section, that is. XD

Neither have i... I really need to go to one.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:48 pm
I looked for her book but was unable to find it sad I did find the omnibus of Alice in the Country of Hearts manga its really good smile  

Victoria Whitechapel

7,400 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:07 pm
Victoria Whitechapel
I looked for her book but was unable to find it sad I did find the omnibus of Alice in the Country of Hearts manga its really good smile

I'm not quite sure where they're being sold... I live in a po'-dunk area, so my local places don't seem to have it either. But Google does have a small but nice selection of images from the book, at the very least.  
All In the Golden Afternoon

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games