Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply Language Learning - Europe
Bonjour! ~ Learning French

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Parlez-vous français?
  Oui!
  Non.
  Gold!
View Results

AJKline

Hallowed Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:19 am
Hi! My name is Aoífe Jean, but call me AJ. I'm going to try my absolute hardest to impart my knowledge of the French language upon those of you who want to learn.

Quick points about French and how to learn it:

~French is a Romance language, meaning it's based on Latin roots, including such languages as Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, and Romanian. If you already speak one of these, you will find many words and the grammar are similar (or the same) in orthography, pronunciation and rules.

~Despite its origins, French has been borrowing more English words and expressions. Moreover, the Académie Française is beginning to accept "franglish" words as legit French words. Case in point: le show, meaning television show, le shampooing, meaning shampoo, and Cool! meaning "Cool!" smile

~Infinitives in English are "to (verb)," while infinitives in French are all one word. There are three types of regular verbs (-er, -ir, -re), and many irregular verbs, which are used in dictionaries. They conjugate differently, and French language lessons expect students to figure out which type a verb is.

~French vocabulary takes articles in front of it, to mean either "the" or "a/an." In addition, French nouns have gender inflectional morphology, which influences the article it takes. Masculine nouns take un or le, while feminine nouns take une or la in the singular. Again, don't worry, I'll help you out with this.

~French culture is very present in the language. Where pertinent in language lessons, I will be injecting a little bit of culture lesson as well. If you ever want to know more, message me and I'll be happy to tell you more!

~Don't worry if you don't pick it up right away. We'll start simple, and get tougher as you start to get the hang of it. I'm almost always online if you ever want to practice with me outside of the guild. Send me a message and I will be more than happy to help you with whatever you're having trouble with.

~Above all, do not let the language scare you! Be the boss! I will help you! It's not so scary once you get to know it, and it doesn't bite at all, I promise!

All right, first cursory lesson to look over is about...

FRENCH ACCENTS:

I don't mean spoken accents! I mean diacritics, like these things:

é è ê ë ç

The little things above/below the letters are accents, and they all have their own names and functions.

é <--- This e has an accent aigu over it. This accent is ONLY used on the letter e. It changes the pronunciation of the letter and, depending on where it's used, can change the tense of the word.

è <---- This e has an accent grave over it. This accent is used on only three letters, a, e, and u, but only changes the pronunciation when over an e. We'll get to all this later!

ê <--- This e has a circonflex over it. This accent can be used on a, e, i, o, and u, but only affects the pronunciation of a, e, and o. Historically, this accent was used to mark a deleted s in the word, as well as a long vowel. Example: The word forêt means forest.

ë <--- This e has an accent tréma over it, more commonly called an umlaut. It can be used over e, i, and u, and sometimes over y. It is used when two adjacent vowels are pronounced separately ("vowels in hiatus"), as opposed to being a diphthong or representing a monophthong ( in French is pronounced ). Example: Naïf (masculine form of 'naïve', which English borrowed), where the <ï> is pronounced in a separate syllable, like "na-eef", as opposed to the monosyllabic being pronounced as [nef] (rhymes with English's "chafe").

ç <--- This c has a cedilla (cédille) underneath it. The cédille is ONLY used on c. It is pronounced as , whereas the regular is typically pronounced [k], unless preceding the vowels or where it is pronounced like an .
i.e.
Je commence [ʒə kɔ.mɑ̃s] - I start
Je commençais [ʒə kɔ.mɑ̃.sɛ] - I was starting
Un camion [œ̃ ka.mjɔ̃] - A truck

Stay tuned for vocabulary and verbs, coming soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:10 pm
bonjour! comment allez-vous? mon nom est jhonni. j'aime speakin français et je suis très couramment! En ce moment je suis fatigué, mais j'espère que nous pourrons continuer cette conversation une autre fois! au revoir! smile  

johnni_badd_cash

Profitable Businesswoman

5,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Eretlen

Dangerous Sophomore

4,300 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:59 pm
AJKline
Hi! My name is Aoífe Jean, but call me AJ. I'm going to try my absolute hardest to impart my knowledge of the French language upon those of you who want to learn.

Hello! My name's Mackensie, but call me Kensie, or Eretlen (or Ere or Len or something). I have been studying French for about 14 months.
Bonjour ! Je m'appelle Mackensie, mais m’appelez-moi Kensie, s'il vous plaît, ou Eretlen (ou Ere ou Len ou quelque chose). J'ai étudié le français pour environ 14 mois.

Do you still teach French?
Avez-vous enseigné encore le français ?

Is there anyone here who wants to talk about French?
Il y a une personne qui veux parler le français ou parler du français, le france ou autres endroits francophones ? (Pour corriger peut-être ma grammaire ? xD)  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:31 pm
Bonjour, tout le monde! Je suis trés excité de vous rencontrer. Je prends un cours de français, mais je ne reçois pas beaucoup de la vrai vie practique.  

ibookworm11

CyberRobinHood

Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:32 pm
Bonjour, tout le monde. Je m'appelle Robin (ici et dans la vie!). Je suis des cours français et je vais á l'université bilingue. J'espère que j'peux aider avec des questions au sujet de la langue mais je l'apprends toujours aussi!

Hello everyone. My name is Robin (here and in real life!). I take French courses and I go to a bilingual university. I hope that I can help with any questions about the language but I am still learning it as well!  
Language Learning - Europe

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games