Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
Can a stroke 'turn you gay'? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:40 am
It does seem possible that something which greatly alters a person's brain chemistry to the extent that a stroke does could indeed alter that person's sexual orientation. There have been many cases of people recovering from strokes who have developed entirely new skill sets and/or personalities, so I see no reason why the same couldn't be true of their sexuality. Granted it's probably extremely rare, but it still seems plausible.

I notice a lot of people in here reacting very negatively to the idea. I think that's more a reaction to the notion of somebody "turning gay" because it sounds way too close to "choosing to be gay", which we all know is an annoying and ridiculous myth. It's important to note, however, that this is not a claim that somebody decided to turn gay, but rather it's a confirmation of the fact that some essential element of brain function dictates sexual orientation in a way that's totally beyond human control.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:36 am
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Everything we are is in the brain. Changes to that brain are bound to affect who we are. And a stroke is definitely a big change to the brain.  

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers