Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Internet Divination?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think internet generated divinations are accurate?
  Yes all the time
  Only sometimes- its just for entertainment
  Never it's all bullhocky
  Divination in general is nonsense
  None of the above (please post and elaborate)
View Results

Erise Crewe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:39 pm
Lately I've been studying up on the I Ching, I've had an incredibly accurate and specific reading done by a complete stranger in the past so I've always been curious about it. And 1/2 way through my reading I'm being driven insane with curiosity- do automated tarot and i ching readings work at all? Are they in any way legitimate? And if not, why? (I ask this because I honestly don't understand the fundamental principles of divination- where the i guess 'power' or accuracy comes from)

I know that legitimate/accurate tarot card readers can produce the same readings or the same set of cards for one person repeatedly (I haven't seen this for myself, I've just heard stories so if anyone believes this to be untrue please share). However an internet divination is just a randomly generated set of results so no two readings are the same.

On a random note, I was playing with the website: one of the randomly generated responses (i ching) was completely ridiculous but the other one (tarot) was spot on. lol I'd laugh it off as luck but sweatdrop it was so accurate... then again one of the problems with tarot is the interpretation. I'm a really open person so I'll let you guys take a look if you're curious/interested. It's interesting how the cards that were generated work together but at the same time I wonder if it's a ploy... I asked about my marriage and it generates love related cards rolleyes coincidence? But rather unsurprisingly on a 2nd random generation it becomes completely different and weird. lol

Being a complete beginner/dabbler some years back I realized that the card meanings are so broad a lot of times people take the message and purposefully think of examples in their own life to match it. Anyone feel like that's a weakness to tarot reading, a sign of misunderstanding/inexperience, or an advantage/just one of the mysteries of the tarot?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:45 am
I don't really think an automated system can perform divination...

Like other magic, it's a matter of nature. It's energy and will. While computers certainly have energy, they don't have their own will, being inanimate.  

Dr. H. Lecter

Dangerous Prophet

7,800 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Member 100

Angel Bruja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:59 pm
I believe it's random. Sometimes the system is right and sometimes it isn't.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:00 pm
I have differing thoughts on divination based on the method one talks about.

I don't know much about I-ching but for tarot I believe the information provided are messages divinity needs one to hear or consider. Often times it is what will happen if one continues of the path he or she is on but it could be an angle or concept or aspect of a problem/person/situation one hasn't considered.

Generally speaking I think there needs to be energy and intention from the seeker, the reader, and sometimes the guides/spirits/god(s) to create useful readings. In the case of a person doing a tarot reading or other form of divination for themselves, I think it needs to be a combined energy and intention between the reader and the divine or some form of guide or energy being.

I think that one would get better more detailed readings from actual cards because for most people handling something and having an object be physically present helps him or her to focus and helps that person raise energy. Also I think the process is more mentally and emotionally pleasing. I know when I do readings part of what I like is feeling around the cards for the energetic "pull" it makes me feel more connected and powerful. The process of shuffling, fanning, choosing, arranging, flipping, observing individually and as a whole is very ritualized for me. It's not something I even get with another reader, though there are other benefits to that, let alone an automated system.

I'm also very attached to using certain decks for certain questions and my gods and guides each have differing preferences for deck usage as well. They won't always play nice over something like that.

That said, I don't see why a person couldn't hold an intention, call on their divinity or guides and use an automated system to get equally valid results (assuming their divinity/guides/spirits doesn't have an issue with the system). It wouldn't be my first choice but someone who is really focused and has a strong relationship and connection could probably do the same with an automated system as with cards.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Erise Crewe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:59 pm
blindfaith^_^
That said, I don't see why a person couldn't hold an intention, call on their divinity or guides and use an automated system to get equally valid results (assuming their divinity/guides/spirits doesn't have an issue with the system). It wouldn't be my first choice but someone who is really focused and has a strong relationship and connection could probably do the same with an automated system as with cards.

That's a very interesting idea thank you for sharing. I have very limited experience with tarot but I definitely know what you mean by the 'pull' and energy you feel from the cards. I've read multiple resources about tarot readings, and for the longest time I just couldn't figure out the role of the different deck types. My cousin bought me a novelty deck of tarot cards as a souvenir, where it had the word labeling but the pictures were just aesthetically pleasing didn't have the same symbolism of a rider-waite deck. I could never really 'get used' to the deck, sometimes I wonder if it's just me being superstitious of if the deck itself really isn't meant for things like that. I have also wondered about the possibility of other types of decks completely different than the tarot, would they still have a divination result? I suppose I'll find out someday when I know more about it. Thank you for sharing your experiences.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:36 pm
Erise Crewe
I have very limited experience with tarot but I definitely know what you mean by the 'pull' and energy you feel from the cards. I've read multiple resources about tarot readings, and for the longest time I just couldn't figure out the role of the different deck types.

I don't know if you have a lot of interest in the tarot or oracle cards but if so, I'd suggest Aeclectic Tarot for any basic information on decks or on different spreads to try out.

I think they do a great job explaining how different tarot and oracle cards can be good for different kind of readings or for a person in different life phases.

Quote:
My cousin bought me a novelty deck of tarot cards as a souvenir, where it had the word labeling but the pictures were just aesthetically pleasing didn't have the same symbolism of a rider-waite deck. I could never really 'get used' to the deck, sometimes I wonder if it's just me being superstitious of if the deck itself really isn't meant for things like that.

There are many interpretations o the rider-waite deck and this particular varies based on what a thoughtful artist/design team can bring to the cards.

I'm probably just at an early intermediate level now, but I can remember the beginning the tarot was really overwhelming. It took me a long time to get to know my decks. As it is, I purchased two new decks this past October and I'm still learning it's specific personality and messaging style.

There are definitely some decks that speak to me more than others and some decks I wouldn't use. I've run across a few decks that I would consider purely aesthetic and most of the time I've then met people who swear by those decks almost immediately after. Use is in the eye of beholder I guess.

Quote:
I have also wondered about the possibility of other types of decks completely different than the tarot, would they still have a divination result?

These are called oracle decks. There is a large collection with reviews over at Aeclectic. I've known more artistically inclined people to create both their own tarot and their own oracle deck. If you have a clear set of intention and theme, I'd think that might be a simple way to create a beautiful magical tool.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Erise Crewe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:20 am
blindfaith^_^

I don't know if you have a lot of interest in the tarot or oracle cards but if so, I'd suggest Aeclectic Tarot for any basic information on decks or on different spreads to try out.

biggrin That's one of my go to sources for my info, I'm glad that you recommended it. You never really know if a website is valid so I feel better having someone vouch that it's a reliable source. It's such a wealth of information I haven't finished browsing through everything eek but thank you for clarifying that about oracle cards sweatdrop Even though ti's on the website I don't think I would have made the connection without you spelling it out for me  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games