Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Kitwana'antara Lands [IC]
[PRP] She Says Hello (Pumbaa'Mlinzi and Netravati)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:53 am
Netravati. Often alone but never lonely. Riddled with mad ideas and yet wise beyond her years. She was, herself, a paradox. A strange little creature who should be regarded as an oddity but was accepted by friends and family all the same.

At that time she was moving slowly beneath the twisted trees, her head up - canted slightly - not looking where she was going at all. And though her paws were silent - and somehow masterfully stepped over twigs and leaves - she spoke aloud for all those nearby to hear if they paused to listen. She wove stories to keep herself company when there was no real company to be found. For stories were her life and her life; a story.

"She listened to the words of the trees as they spoke amongst one another, whispering secrets they didn't think she could hear. But she comprehended their language and she saw into their souls." Netravati paused and scented the air, her odd eyes unblinking as she scanned the trees. "But what would happen if they knew? She was a keeper of secrets and she would not share what she had learnt. For to do so would be to destroy their beauty and ruin the face of the world."

She moved on again, ducking beneath a low branch that had draped at an unnatural angle, its stem almost completely broken in two. "And then the sky would weep for the loss and all life would fade."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:05 am
Struggling to slide between the vines, roots, and branches that gnarled together to form his worst nightmare. The male, struggled, relying only upon his sense of touch and smell. He wasn't having one of his better days, and he desperately needed the required nutrients to concoct his salve. But his helper was gone on another search right now, leaving the blind male to fend for himself.

Tripping over a branch, Mlinzi let out a low steady growl as he pushed himself to his feet. If he wasn't so desperate he wouldn't even be here right now! He needed to find tho-

A voice? Twitching his ear to better attune to the sound, the male heard it again. A soft female voice, was she talking with someone? Her tenses seemed to point towards yes, but he could only detect her scent. Fearing little for himself, Mlinzi hoped to catch her attention, with a simple call. Perhaps she could help him out of this tangled mess he'd gotten himself into.

"HELLO?

I know you're there, I can hear you talking! C-could you spare a minute to help me? I think i'm a little stuck."

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:49 am
Her ears turned first and then her head, those odd eyes scouring the landscape for the owner of the voice. "She heard someone calling. Not a tree, but a lion, his plea for help rising up to drown the voices of the world. She considered it a moment and then, without any further hesitation, turned in the direction he called."

She bounded towards the voice, leaping over sticks and stones in the direction she had heard him and then, at last, his pale form appeared. She blinked, smiled, and slowed her pace as she approached.

"He was alone and in some sort of predicament, though she couldn't quite tell what that might be. So, moving closer, she called out to him in a kindly tone." She paused, smiled a little and then spoke directly to him. "Stuck? Are you...injured?" Her tail swished. "Is something chasing you?"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:47 pm
Listening intently for a response, all he could hear was the same voice, again speaking as though there were someone else there. But still, not a soul emerged, nor any new scents. On top of that, her way of speaking was quite .. interesting. She seemed to be narrating something, a story? In a time like this? Confused, the poor blind male lie helplessly within the gnarled roots hoping she would arrive soon.

As she finished up her final narrative, Mlinzi's hopes began to rise, if she really were narrating her actions that meant she had found him! Tugging slightly against his bonds, the male knew it was no use and instead waited for another sign of her presence. "N-no, I don't think i'm injured - least I can't feel anything. And don't fear, nothing is chasing me, I was merely out looking for herbs and roots when my sight abandoned me."

Quieting his voice once more he waited impatiently to hear her voice again. While strange, it gave him something to think about while she attempted to help him. Was she really narrating? How could she be so patient with herself to do something like that? Confused, the male stashed it away, hoping to maybe question her on it later.

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:32 pm
"Ah!" She exclaimed. "That is good news, though not the most exciting tale I have ever heard. Let us see if we can spin a better one, hm?" She moved a little closer, inspecting the roots that had him trapped, before continuing on with her monologue.

"But for all that she was good and wise, the trees feared her knowledge. Feared that she knew too much about them. Their world was supposed to stay secret and safe and if another could hear them, the secret might not remain that way for long. And so, in an attempt to bid for her silence, they trapped another, poor soul amongst their roots. A lion she did not know but who was a member of her extended family; their pride. The lioness moved closer to inspect his bonds but the trees held him tightly and whispered to her in their gentle voices: 'allow us to take the knowledge from your mind and we will free him. Refuse and he will stay here forever, our captive.' But for all that she loved knowledge, the lioness could never put another's life at risk to keep it. She beseeched the trees to forgive her and offered up her acquired wisdom to free the poor lion from his peril."

She paused in her story-telling to bite at some of the thinner roots. Some were surprisingly soft and her teeth cut through with ease. Others were more woody and required a little more time. But it did not take long for Netravati to free up most of the trapped lion's limbs.

"And so, she traded her knowledge to free the lion and, true to their word, the trees withdrew their hold."

She sat back, wiped a paw across her forehead and threw the male a smile. "I've gotten some of the roots away from you, is that any better?"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:27 pm
He couldn't lie, it wasn't the easiest thing he'd ever had to do - keeping up with the female's words especially when he couldn't actually see her. But he continued to listen on, trying to decipher her narrative for those without eyes. He could feel, as he listened, that the vines and branches knotted around him were loosening their bonds. An exhausted but grateful sigh escaped his lips as he bent his limbs slightly to test the theory. Crunches, and snaps, and a sappy smell alerted the lion that she was doing her best. Though, he had no idea what she meant by the trees talking to her, or passing on her knowledge. He merely shrugged it off, more excited to be free than anything.

Shaking off the last of the loose roots, Mlinzi lightly felt his way to a more clear ground, and sat down promptly. Accidentally facing away from the female rather than to her. He sat that way for a moment, unknowing, until she spoke up once more. He quickly adjusted his stance to face the direction her voice had come from. "Thank you! It's much better. I guess i'm lucky you were here today to help me." Mlinzi smiled slightly, and spoke up again. "Your voice .... it doesn't sound familiar to me. May I ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today?" He raised his nose slightly to the air to try and catch her scent once more, but still nothing familiar about her.

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:57 pm
"It was a pleasure to aid." She added in an exaggerated noble voice, giving him a short bow. Netra, of course, had never met a lion who had no use of his eyes and as such, did not even know what it was to be 'blind' or how to recognise it in another.

"My voice?" She piped up, leaning a little closer to get a better look at him. She hadn't recognised his voice, either, but she generally went for looks when it came to recognising someone. She supposed her own pelt was a little dull - especially in comparison to his - so perhaps she wasn't the most memorable female in the area. Perhaps his memory was just better with sound? "My name is Netravati." She declared. "The girl with eyes of shadow and fire." She remembered the description that Nyu'li had used for them and had decided she rather liked it.

"I haven't met you before, either. For this we must make amends! We shall become friends, I think. Next time, though, you should be more careful when straying alone. Those trees can be rather tricky if you don't pay them much mind." She waved a paw towards the roots. "Perhaps choose one of the clearer paths further along?"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:09 pm
"The girl with eyes of shadow and fire."

Mlinzi was oddly entranced by that description. He wished beyond anything he could see them, and see for himself whether they were worthy of such wonder. Perhaps after he had a sampling of his salve he might venture a glance and see what there was to see. "That's quite a description! I wish I could see them for myself, they sound quite beautiful." Mlinzi smiled his toothy grin, and listened in on as she proposed friendship.

"Yes, amends must be made! For it would be a shame for me to have gone through life not knowing of the girl with eyes of shadow and fire!" Nodding in Netravati's direction he cringed a bit at her final words. Though, he wasn't quite sure from her words that she understood his predicament. "I will keep that in mind! But I think my days of travelling alone are quickly approaching. I usually have my best friend aid me, but he's currently away." Hanging his head slightly, the male continued. "Oh, i'm sorry, i'm boring you with my worries. My name is Pumbaa'Mlinzi! Though my name isn't nearly as pleasant as yours, you may call me whatever you'd like."

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:59 am
"Bored? Me? Never. Life is not boring, Pumbaa'Mlinzi, unless one chooses it to be such. If you were speaking words that I found boring I would interrupt and change the subject. We cannot be friends if I don't know about you." She nodded her head. "I think you have a fine name, indeed. Very fine!" Her tail swished. "Now, I have some questions, if you don't mind!"

She didn't give him much time to speak up if he did mind, bursting into more energetic, curious speech. This girl certainly liked to talk and rarely a moment would pass when she wasn't saying something or other. "Where is your friend? Gone some place outside of the lands? Not a lion then? Else he would risk spreading the plague, yes? So a leopard? A...hyena?" She did like to do guesswork. "You think he will not come back?"

"And, oh, oh, another question. You said you...wished you could see my eyes? Why can you not?" As if to enhance the question, she waved a paw in front of his face. "Your eyes are not well?"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:55 pm
Mlinzi giggled aloud as the female continued on speaking. She seemed to have an endless amount of energy for a member of their particular pride. Perhaps she was one of the lucky ones? He wouldn't ask, it would likely cause her to get upset and he really didn't want to do something like that. As Mlinzi took in a breath to give her an answer, he was quickly taken aback by her instant jump into the fray.

She sure didn't like to take breaths either! He didn't mind though, it was nice to bump into an interesting soul every once in a while. Finally finishing up her parade of questions, Mlinzi took a mental note of them all and began to answer them, slowly and honestly.

"My friend went outside of the borders to find some herbs that don't seem to be available within the pride's borders. He's a leopon, a very determined and dedicated one at that. He tends to be my seeing eye dog - er - for lack of a better word. He likes to make sure I am comfortable with my life, and that I don't endure many a hardship. He will return, though, on his last expedition he took quite a while to return. He bumped into another leopon who helped him out of a tough spot. I could never see him even imagining staying away. He just doesn't have the heart for it." he smiled grimly, silently thanking his friend for all of the great companionship he had shared with him.

To say he was taken aback by her question, wouldn't really be an accurate statement. He was more confused. Could she really not tell he was blind?

"Well, the plague has taken my eye sight. Though, I can still see shadows and light color on occasion, it tends to come and go. Sort of like it did today. I knew it wasn't my best idea to go out on my own, but I needed the roots...." He began to sidetrack himself and tried to shake himself back to attention. "So no, my eyes aren't well. Though with the right amount of salve, perhaps one day I can see those famous eyes of yours." Mlinzi nodded his head once again, and spoke up one last time. "And what about you, what is your story? I notice you like to talk a lot, a - and earlier I heard you talking like you were telling a story? Is there someone else here that hasn't spoken yet?"

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:59 pm
If he had asked about her health she would have given him a relatively straight answer in that, she honestly didn't know. Her father had died young of the plague and she didn't know her mother at all really. Part of her had already expected to start showing some signs of the illness but her body had not yet betrayed her. Little did she know that it was due to her mother that she was currently immune to the illness. Nor did she realise that that particular blessing could be removed at any time.

"He sounds very nice. I think I would like to meet him someday. I like hybrids. Strange looking but cute at the same time. Creatures that shouldn't be and yet are, and free of the plague, too. All good. All good indeed." She nodded with total understanding. "He likes a bit of wandering but his paws always bring him back. He must bring stories with him when he returns, yes? I would very much like to hear them someday."

And then understanding about his sight dawned on her and she gave a short nod, staring into his eyes with some great curiosity. What would it be like to walk in darkness? To not know where the paw tread. It sounded a little scary but maybe exciting, too? Although if it got one tangled up in roots and vines, she wasn't sure whether it was all that exciting. "Well, next time, you know what you should do? You'll have to ask me! I'll come and help! I'm never doing anything all that important and nothing is more important than helping out a friend." She bobbed her head enthusiastically. "I don't know anything about herbs and roots, though...so you'd have to tell me what I was looking for. Unless of course, you knew them by touch or smell?" Or sound, perhaps, if the roots spoke just as the trees did.

"You have an interesting story, Pumbaa'Mlinzi and I do very much hope that one day you can see me with your eyes."

She blinked. "My story? My whole life is a story but I can tell you a little of it if you wish." She giggled, pressing a paw to her mouth. "No, no. I'm all by myself. I like to narrate my life story as I go. Record it to memory so that after I die, I will be remembered. You see? So I tell the story of my life and add...detail to make it a little more interesting. Because no one remembers a boring story." Such as speaking trees and monsters in the shadows and magical clouds that shifted shape depending on their mood. "But I see other people's stories, too. The story that has yet to happen. Their future story, if you like. That's a bit of a secret, though. A special power. I'm not sure, yet, how many else have it. But sometimes, when I concentrate, I see things that come to pass."

She smiled. "My friend, Nyu'li, he told me I should become a bard when I am an adult. So a bard I am to become. Perhaps he sees the future story, too." She reached forwards and tapped his paw with hers. "Would you like to keep moving as we speak? Do you need to get anything whilst you are out here?"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:38 pm
"He's a great friend, far beyond what I deserve. And yes, he has more stories than you could ever imagine! Though I imagine he makes up a few tidbits just to satisfy me." He beamed with pride, completely unaware that he was doing so. "I'm sure he would be pleased to meet you Netravati, and even more excited to tell you his tales. Though, you may have to wait! I have to tell him a tale of my own first.

The tale of the girl with the eyes of shadow and fire!"
He whispered it, to make it sound more mysterious, even though to him, the mystery was already eating him alive. He hoped his friend would return soon with the ingredients, so he could salve his eyes and at the least - steal a peak at her beauty.

Mlinzi wasn't at all sure what was passing through the female's head as he rambled on, or for that matter if she was even still there! It wasn't until she spoke up again that his heart relaxed and he realized she hadn't abandoned him.

"Now that sounds like quite an idea. Are you sure it wouldn't be much of a bother?" He questioned her quickly - making sure he wasn't burdening her. "And I too hope to one day see you with my own eyes. You sound far too intriguing to ignore!"

And he was right, he listened intently to every single thing she said. Careful not to miss a single bit.

"Another story teller eh? I seem to be quite the magnet when it comes to you all. Though that isn't ever to misunderstood as a bad thing. I quite enjoy listening to the tales. It would be an honor to sit and listen to your narrations one day!" He smiled, contemplating her last comment. "I...I think i've heard of others like you. Mostly in passing of Mezlijin's stories but also through word of the pride. Is it much of a burden to hold? Or do you revel in the chance to see into the future? I would imagine it's fascinating, but also pretty scary at times..." He trailed off on his own words, feeling as though he were being too chatty. "Well, I will leave that decision up to you! Though, I could be persuaded to walk, if a narration were involved.."

Depawsit

Charitable Informer

15,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Luck of the Draw 50
  • Invisibility 100

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:52 pm
"I would say you are more than deserving of friends, Pumbaa'mlinzi." She retorted swiftly, giving him a slight nudge with her paw. "And all stories need to be exaggerated in some way. It makes them more fun, better to listen to. For instance, no one would want to know about my trip down to the watering hole unless it had me coming across something unexpected. And whether I came across it or not doesn't matter so much as people enjoying the story." She beamed at that, glad she was able to discuss the art of storytelling. "Of course, of course. I have much, much patience!" And then she blinked, surprised at what his tale was about.

Then she laughed; the sound one of sheer delight.

"And what a wonderful story it shall be! Just make sure that, in your story, I am bigger and more impressive than I am in real life." She nodded, imagining herself with real flaming eyes - eyes that burned like the sun. That would have been something to see! "That will make things a lot more interesting." She giggled and turned a little, batting him with the tuft of her tail. He was silly. She'd always thought that she was a rather plain and boring creature - except for her eyes - but she had a brother with similar eyes, too, so they weren't even that unique! "Perhaps it might be better to leave it to imagination. You might only find yourself disappointed."

She waved a paw. "And it's no trouble at all. Seeking out roots might lead to adventure which will lead to a story."

She smiled then, her whiskers lifting. "And I would be honoured to have you listen to them." Her head tilted in thought. "Not scary...not so much. Sometimes boring, though. I did it by accident when I was young, but now I am getting better at seeing when I want to 'see'. If I see something boring, though, I can always make it more exciting! It pleases people, I think, for them to hear that they will have exciting times ahead. But yes...more sad than scary I would think. Sad because the future here for us is short and ended with suffering. It is not sad to die but it is sad to see that it worries them."

She stretched her legs, gave him a small nudge and nodded. "Very well. Let us be off! You can follow the sound of my voice and if you get stuck, just call and I shall assist!"

She took a few steps, lifted her head, and began to recite. "And so the girl with the eyes of shadow and fire set off, accompanied by the one draped with a fading rainbow..."

And as they walked she would narrate of their journey back to the heart of the lands and repeat to him the singing words of the trees all around them.

/fin?

[IC] Kitwana'antara Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff