((This is an aim rp between Painted Moose and me))

Vincenzo lifted his head to the sky above, and nearly choked. He hadn’t expected the pridal lands to be hotter than the hell he’d been trekking in for weeks now. Who knew that they were being hit by some freak weather change? The Gods saw fit to bless both he and Priya by showing them these lands, and now he was left wondering why they were trying to take it away.

The iridescent lion ducked his head into the ruins. Even with night completely upon them, and the others hard at work he felt like he couldn’t move. The most he had been able to do since joining was drink his body weight in water and sleep. “That can’t be good,” he mused. “Eventually they’re going to chase me out for doing that.” The Gods….The Gods would save him, he knew. He had yet to disobey them, and now he was hoping to train under the Priests for a better chance at serving them. One day…when he wasn’t so damn hot.

Panting Runako headed back in from the borders. Even the desert seemed to be more scorching hot these days. Honestly others went about their business as usual and while he attempted to stay focused on his duties as a guardian the lion was too concerned with the events going on around him. Anya, Altair’s brother, the increasing heat, his brother’s family…Sighing the lion just shook his head. There was just so much going on around him.

Maybe that was way he couldn’t sleep well lately. Looking back up at the night sky Runako paused and studied the stars. He especially liked to wander the ruins. In such places like this it was amazing how instantly dark everything could get, but then at the next step light would flicker through the wide openings of the decayed buildings. As it was Runako nearly jumped at the sight of a phantom, but calmed down soon enough as he realized that it was a living lion. “Hey you.” Calling out into the night the lilac male moved closer to see this stranger. He was new to him so either he had just come to the pride recently or was a stranger who had wandered in from the borders.

Vincenzo completed a 180 roll to stare at the newcomer. It wasn’t unusual to see lions up and about this time of night, especially with the turn of events, but this was the first time he’d even been approached by a single lion. His minty eyes zeroed in on the lilac lion, looking at every aspect of him before standing. It wasn’t the others size or height or even his apparent muscle strength that worried him, it was the fact that if he said the wrong thing, he might get his a** whopped and that would NOT look cool.

“Hey.” Vincenzo shuffled on his paws, smiling goofily at the other. “Can I help you with something?” Whatever it was, he was sure it wasn’t going to end well. Even if he tried to bullshit his way through an assignment they would still call him out for being a newb.

Runako barely managed to hide his small grin at the other lion’s reaction to his approach. This one was definitely a new comer. Still it helped his pride a little to be the one sneaking up on this lion rather than the other knowing that he had startled him like some phantom of the ruin. But he wasn’t a mean lion or anything so he was satisfied with just that. Or should he tease a bit?

“I don’t know. Can you?” Runako took a couple of steps closer before circling the lion, “Are you a new recruit into the guardians or just passing through our lands?” He gave the other a look over. While he seemed a bit tense about something he was calmer than any trespasser. Definitely someone new to the pride then or at least a welcomed visitor, “What’s your name and your business in the ruins at this hour?” Normally serious anyways the lion found it easy to interrogate the other. Though honestly he was feeling some amusement. How would this lion react? If he was anything like some guardians he would have automatically just had this guy running around the pride for the amusement of it. But he wasn’t like that. It was a waste of time to completely torment someone. Any guardian would get a lecture for stunts like that.

“The Guardians? No, no, not me.” He stiffened as the lilac lion circled him. It was only by chance that he wasn’t cringing and was standing tall. Luxurious locks of ivory cascaded down his shoulders, protecting his shaking shoulders from public scrutiny. He couldn’t admit that he was nervous around the other, especially now that his position was known. “My name is Vincenzo, and I’m resting from my journey into these lands. Besides, we’re not exactly alone here,” he gestured to the groups of lions passing through.

Being as tired as he was, Vincenzo sat before the other lion and yawned, brushing the back of his paw against his eye like a cub. “And what is YOUR name? Or is it a big secret? How many guesses do I get?” He teased, grinning like a Chesire.

“Shame.” Runako shook his head, “We need more recruits.” He grinned teasingly, “We could always test you in the red desert if you change your mind. That’s where some of us prove ourselves if they make it out that is.” Not that it was really that hard to join the guardians. Actually the red desert was rarely touched by many of them as well. Runako knew that he would probably make certain lions worried if they knew of his own personal walks out that far.

“Vincenzo.” The lion’s look was sincere as he nodded his greeting, “That’s true.” Looking around at the lions milling about Runako grinned, “You have a point there though normally it’s not so active around here at this hour.” His expression flashed with worry as the thought of problems in the pride came back to him. “My name? Well you have to first prove yourself worthy of knowing my name. Something so valued would never be given out so easily.” He teased lightly before shaking his head. “But I will tell you, though if you want to guess you can.”

Vincenzo gave a bark of laughter. “Seriously? You’re insane if you think I’m going to be tested in any desert. Just getting here was enough of a test for me.” He couldn’t stop chuckling. Even if the man was being earnest, there was no way he would drag Vincenzo down into his initiation stunt.

“To be honest, I’m not a very good guesser.” He leaned forward, his mint green eyes sharp with the look of a true dealer on his face. “So hit me with your best shot challenge wise. Keep in mind, though, that I’m more brain than brawn.”

Runako grinned at his reaction. “Well at least you know the desert then.” He was actually glad that the lion realized how dangerous the desert really was. Any fool would have gladly volunteered to go out there and prove himself. The thought made him sigh. Really if they started losing idiots who thought…well that was another matter.

“Oh? That’s a disappointment.” Runako smiled at the other lion, “But since you accepted the challenge I have something that any male in this pride must do at least once. Come on.” Motioning with his head the lilac turned and started towards the exit of the ruins.

Vincenzo took a deep breath and followed after the other male out of the ruins. “Any male in the pride? I have to wonder if you’re telling the truth, or just messing with me.” He grinned.

Runako laughed, “Trust me. You’ll understand.” Grinning back at the other lion Runako moved out under the clear sky and headed for a very familiar patch of cacti where the juice was already glinting on the torn stems. Yep. It was going to be a fun welcome to the pride for Vincenzo.

((WC: 1361))