Fleece vs paper bedding?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:08 pm
I am working on building a rat cage that has more room and I was wondering how easy is it to clean fleece, how often do you need to do it? Once a week or more?

Also litter boxes can boys be trained to use them to poop in?

any tips?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:45 pm
I don't own rats, but I use fleece blankets with my cats, since they love it. Easy to clean? I personally don't think so, their hair stick to the blankets, I don't know what else you use in their cage that could make it dirty?

Why do you want to use fleece anyway?  

pompoennetje

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:08 pm
Funklepuss
I don't own rats, but I use fleece blankets with my cats, since they love it. Easy to clean? I personally don't think so, their hair stick to the blankets, I don't know what else you use in their cage that could make it dirty?

Why do you want to use fleece anyway?

If I make a book self cage it seems most people opt for fleece over bedding.

Less mess i guess? from bedding falling out I have no idea  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:36 am
i used fleece with my rats when i had them in the critter nation. i loved it and it was easy to clean. just pick up the stray poops and litter pieces every couple days and wash it once a week or so depending on how many rats were in there.

plus it helped heel their tails clean because the fleece would adsorb the pee really fast while with any other substrate i tried out the rats would drag their tails over their pee spots and then they would smell. i used 4 layers of fleece though so the pee didnt have a chance to make contact with the boys  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:41 am
I have a bookcase cage. I like towels best. Cut them to size, super absorbent just wash and reuse. I had a collection of dog towels, either old or that I took from the lost and found. So I switch towels maybe twice a week just toss the messy ones in a hamper and maybe once a month wash them
all.

I use fleece too, but fleece is not meant to be absorbent, cotton yes, fleece no. That's why it's good for outdoor sports. I give them fleece blankies to use in their houses. I also shred up paper towels and they will line their houses with that and it absorbs the pee  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:31 pm
I prefer fleece. Easiest to keep clean.

Put down a few layers of towels, put down a fleece blanket over it, and wallah. Shake off the top layer daily and throw the whole cage's worth of towels in the washer once a week. It's so cute to put down the towels then run the fleece through the dryer a second time for a few minutes while you put some accesories back in, then the towel. It's adorable how they snuggle up to it once it's nice and clean.

I can't do fleece right now since it wasn't practical in Lila's cage, since she's got such a smaller space that a big bag of kiln'd pine lasts month.  

Azusanga

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff