Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Is it just me or... ?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:06 pm
Someone posted this, and it struck me in a really odd way.

"I can't brag about my love for God because I fail him daily. But I can brag about his love for me because it never fails."

Is it just me, or if you replace God with a man's name, that sounds like an abusive relationship? If a man told his wife, "Well, I love you. I do everything for you. No one will love you like I will. But you're a disgrace, you can't say you love me because you fail me every day." I'm pretty sure a lot of people would consider that abusive. Or at the very least, emotionally manipulative. How come that isn't so if someone's describing God?

It kind of ties in with the mindset people have that they deserve to be punished, because they aren't good enough. They can praise their god every day, go to church and worship him for hours every sunday, and yet they will still feel as though they aren't good enough because they are very human and make very human mistakes. And what makes it worse is that, even though they believe that they were made that way, they still blame themselves. In other words, even though making them human and fallible is something they believe that their god did, and is out of their hands completely, they blame themselves for it. They blame themselves for something they believe their god did.

It's a bit reminiscent of the "I shouldn't have been in his way, I shouldn't have made him mad" mindset. That's a bit disturbing to me. Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:05 am
Yeah I understand the sentiment. It's one of the things that feels so dirty to me about organized religion. I feel like my family spends their days overworked and over stressed just so they can come home and pray to some god to help them continue to have faith in their need to be overworked and over stressed. Some American dream...  

cabbage3

Friendly Explorer

6,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items