Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
What drew you to the Occult? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GM Phish

6,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:14 am
BSPBleach
How did you come upon alchemy? i was always interested in it(of course i heard of it in history with people trying to make gold, but money and gold hold no value for me. i always wanted to learn how they tried) but i could never find out any information on it.

Well, here's what I did. I realized that many alchemic recipies and techniques are not written, or even coded for that matter. They are often concealed within alchemic drawings or paintings. You prerceive an image, from the ground up, reading the dragon fire for heat, sun and moon for time, and orobous often represents the 'location' of the final goal. The ingredients are often hidden behind symbols that are coded, but those symbols can be found easily enough in google. smile

So how did I stumble upon it? Cryptology. I was starting a study of codes and patterns within books. The one thing that surprised me the most, was that inside of one of my mythology books there was one of these codes. Spelled out, it read nothing more than a 'sacred theology', but this lead me to try and find more. Eventually I did, and chose to pursue the alchemical texts only because of when I was little, I would practice homeopathy, and study the various properties of the different plants I could find in my backyard.

So are you interested in alchemy? Here's some advice: before you start alchemy, take a chemistry class. This makes it some much easier to understand distillation and dilution techniques necessary in alchemy. Also, it doesn't hurt to be able to sneak into the supply room for what ingredients you need. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:23 pm
GM Phish
BSPBleach
How did you come upon alchemy? i was always interested in it(of course i heard of it in history with people trying to make gold, but money and gold hold no value for me. i always wanted to learn how they tried) but i could never find out any information on it.

Well, here's what I did. I realized that many alchemic recipies and techniques are not written, or even coded for that matter. They are often concealed within alchemic drawings or paintings. You prerceive an image, from the ground up, reading the dragon fire for heat, sun and moon for time, and orobous often represents the 'location' of the final goal. The ingredients are often hidden behind symbols that are coded, but those symbols can be found easily enough in google. smile

So how did I stumble upon it? Cryptology. I was starting a study of codes and patterns within books. The one thing that surprised me the most, was that inside of one of my mythology books there was one of these codes. Spelled out, it read nothing more than a 'sacred theology', but this lead me to try and find more. Eventually I did, and chose to pursue the alchemical texts only because of when I was little, I would practice homeopathy, and study the various properties of the different plants I could find in my backyard.

So are you interested in alchemy? Here's some advice: before you start alchemy, take a chemistry class. This makes it some much easier to understand distillation and dilution techniques necessary in alchemy. Also, it doesn't hurt to be able to sneak into the supply room for what ingredients you need. wink
lol yeah i figured chemistry would help in that department but sadly because of my inability to pass algebra and geometry, i still can't take the class.......guess it'll have to wait a bit longer.
you studied homeopathy? lol doesn't sound like it fit but i think i did something similar when i was younger. still do it now but it kinda takes a back seat now a days.
oh! and where do you take cryptology? i stumbled cross a class for it a few years ago but i wasn't old enough to take it. but now that i am, my college doesn't have the course. they said they did along with some others (such as mythology's and theology) but had to get rid of them.  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

GM Phish

6,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:15 am
Heh, There's many awesome classes at my college, but cryptology isn't one of them sadly. I learned from the library in my hometown. Though honestly, I like the library here at college better, because they have an entire occult section. biggrin

There are some amazing classes related to the occult though here:

Theory of madness
Witchcraft
History of Witches
Shamanism
(just about any) Mythology
(Just about any) Religion

I'm taking the shamanism class right now, makes me happy.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:13 am
GM Phish
Heh, There's many awesome classes at my college, but cryptology isn't one of them sadly. I learned from the library in my hometown. Though honestly, I like the library here at college better, because they have an entire occult section. biggrin

There are some amazing classes related to the occult though here:

Theory of madness
Witchcraft
History of Witches
Shamanism
(just about any) Mythology
(Just about any) Religion

I'm taking the shamanism class right now, makes me happy.
i bet. the word alone always amused me.
but i guess i'd have to go west- wait. that won't work either. hmm.....lol guess just move away from here. LGBT, occult and anything not considered 'normal' is like forbidden here. they don't have anything at my college like any of that. well theory of madness maybe in the psychology department......and certainly no books. gah. might have to just start working to buy stuff online......  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Satans Dolly

Beloved Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:30 pm
I actually practice,it is a very good hobby.Though voodoo got me into it mostly I believe demons started this whole idea in mind.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:17 pm
BSPBleach
neko-mata-01

ok, well first of all i pretty much have the same type of religious belief (im catholic technically though)
i was always interested so i can really answer that correctly. hm for hope look to friends and your own will. i don't think so, i believe god or gods are pretty sovereign in their ability to exist. depends on what truth you are looking for. there are things that must be regarded as true no matter how reality appears. to put it into perspective there is a quote by a Chinese philosopher "Once Zhuangzi dreamt he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Zhuangzi. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakable Zhuangzi. But he didn't know if he was Zhuangzi who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuangzi" the truth is either way he is himself despite the title he has and that must be considered true regardless of reality. after all reality is defined by our perception is it not? if for example a man could sense nothing physically would his surroundings matter at all? i guess one could say that the physical world around him would still affect him even if he was unaware but that brings into question if thats just the observers perceived reality. and how would one know that they are not just dreaming at any given point? or if their dreams are the reality rather than other way around? the point is many things cannot be determined as true until you define them as that and many things deemed to be true have the technical ability to false at any given point. for example how do you know something random like atoms exist? although not probable there is the technical possibility that every reference to atoms existing up to this point has been a lie. (btw im not saying that i truly believe this but technically its possible)

lol i like your definition of reality biggrin
i though upon a similar idea awhile back........i got bored though ><" and moved to other ideas which eventually brought me to the word occult. so I guess that answer's Poppycock's question as well. What brought me to the occult was instinctual thinking. lol many other things as well, but it was asked about the occult so i won't go into that xd

lawl! interesting :3  

neko-mata-01

neko-mata-01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:19 pm
I3east 666
I actually practice,it is a very good hobby.Though voodoo got me into it mostly I believe demons started this whole idea in mind.

so do u practice voodoo? (technically occult is a broad term)
if so awesome. i always that that was a cool form of magic xD  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:26 pm
Obscurus
Patron-Saint of Poppycock
I'm really curious as to how you all got into occultism, and what philosophy you all live by. Do you believe there is still hope for the world? Do you feel that there really is a force that we can look to for hope, or is our only hope eachother? Do you think that maybe our gods are real in the sense that they live through their worshipers? Is there any truth to find in the universe, or is there only reality? Just putting it all out on the table without fear of persecution, or the trolls the internet is so damned notorious for.

I got into occultism because I wanted to find out if magic was real. I wanted to find the truth and seek some esoteric power.

I would describe myself as a pantheist. I'm not sure I really "live by" any particular philosophy. If it feels wrong I don't do it; if it feels good then I allow myself to do it. I've referred to this as visceral morality before, about as close as I feel we could get to an objective morality.

Hope for the world to do what? I believe there is always hope because possibilities are limitless.

I don't think it really matters if our gods are real or not as long as we keep worshiping them.

There is a lot of truth in the universe. I think the question is whether there is static truth or if truth is dynamic, constantly changing.

first of all, what did u find as your conclusion. assuming you have found one

that would define a philosophy in a way

3nodding

well if they were fake what would be the point of worship?

well it is both in my opinion. for example as long as you think you will know that you exist without a doubt. a dynamic truth (although it depends on what you mean by this) would be that even if some random object is an illusion in a sense, you can still clearly state without a doubt that it exists in some form, even if you are just tricked into believing it.  

neko-mata-01

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:41 pm
neko-mata-01
Obscurus
I'm really curious as to how you all got into occultism, and what philosophy you all live by. Do you believe there is still hope for the world? Do you feel that there really is a force that we can look to for hope, or is our only hope eachother? Do you think that maybe our gods are real in the sense that they live through their worshipers? Is there any truth to find in the universe, or is there only reality? Just putting it all out on the table without fear of persecution, or the trolls the internet is so damned notorious for.

I got into occultism because I wanted to find out if magic was real. I wanted to find the truth and seek some esoteric power.

I would describe myself as a pantheist. I'm not sure I really "live by" any particular philosophy. If it feels wrong I don't do it; if it feels good then I allow myself to do it. I've referred to this as visceral morality before, about as close as I feel we could get to an objective morality.

Hope for the world to do what? I believe there is always hope because possibilities are limitless.

I don't think it really matters if our gods are real or not as long as we keep worshiping them.

There is a lot of truth in the universe. I think the question is whether there is static truth or if truth is dynamic, constantly changing.

3nodding

well it is both in my opinion. for example as long as you think you will know that you exist without a doubt. a dynamic truth (although it depends on what you mean by this) would be that even if some random object is an illusion in a sense, you can still clearly state without a doubt that it exists in some form, even if you are just tricked into believing it.

My conclusion is that magic is real. It's just not what most people think of it as.

My "visceral morality" could be considered a philosophy, I guess. Add empiricism and fallibilism to it while we're at it. razz

Even if the gods don't exist our worship of them gives them power. They have power to us, they give us comfort, or they keep us in line. As long as they serve their purpose then it doesn't matter if they are objectively real.

What I mean by static truth or dynamic truth is that a static truth would be like saying that the speed of light is and always has been 300,000,000m/s^2. That would be a statement of static truth. A dynamic truth would be "The speed of light used to be 200,000,000m/s^2 but it is now 300,000,000m/s^2." The speed of light changed in that example making it a dynamic truth. Light has a speed, but it changes over time in that example.

I think that the universe is fond of dynamic truths. As soon as you think you've pinned them down then you're wrong.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:43 pm
Obscurus
neko-mata-01
Obscurus

3nodding

My conclusion is that magic is real. It's just not what most people think of it as.

My "visceral morality" could be considered a philosophy, I guess. Add empiricism and fallibilism to it while we're at it. razz

Even if the gods don't exist our worship of them gives them power. They have power to us, they give us comfort, or they keep us in line. As long as they serve their purpose then it doesn't matter if they are objectively real.

What I mean by static truth or dynamic truth is that a static truth would be like saying that the speed of light is and always has been 300,000,000m/s^2. That would be a statement of static truth. A dynamic truth would be "The speed of light used to be 200,000,000m/s^2 but it is now 300,000,000m/s^2." The speed of light changed in that example making it a dynamic truth. Light has a speed, but it changes over time in that example.

I think that the universe is fond of dynamic truths. As soon as you think you've pinned them down then you're wrong.

(im referring to the last one btw)
ok then i agree (i just misunderstood exactly what u meant)  

neko-mata-01

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:46 pm
neko-mata-01
Obscurus
neko-mata-01
Obscurus

3nodding

(im referring to the last one btw)
ok then i agree (i just misunderstood exactly what u meant)

It's cool. I don't have a problem with people asking questions. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:09 am
I personally do not practice, actually if I had to define my belief, I would say I am a christian in the most liberal definition of the doctrine. I don't know how one would really define my beliefs, I suppose something like an anti-fundamentalist. I believe that any hope for the perpetuation of enlightenment was lost with fundamentalism, but I'm not a nihilist either. I say ******** the spectrum, I believe in everything. Anywho, I'm really curious as to how you all got into occultism, and what philosophy you all live by. Do you believe there is still hope for the world? Do you feel that there really is a force that we can look to for hope, or is our only hope eachother? Do you think that maybe our gods are real in the sense that they live through their worshipers? Is there any truth to find in the universe, or is there only reality? Just putting it all out on the table without fear of persecution, or the trolls the internet is so damned notorious for.

How interesting questions..

Well, I got into the occult by one of my best friends who introduced me into Wicca back in 2006... and since I've always had experiences with the paranormal... and i wanted to find my true path.... so.. I checked out magick. I knew magic was real... even if my family always told me it was just a fantasy... I knew deep down, magic existed.

Plus... i was one of those power hungry peoples.. lol.. at the time.. it was insane.. I sought out knowledge as much as i could... and I'm drawn to things that interest me and even things that are darker... sweatdrop
I'm easily swayed... lol...

Hmmm... uh I'm not sure if i really "follow" a particular philosophy... really....
I just do things by my own feelings... whether it feels right or not...

Hope for the world for what??
And our possibilities in this world is beyond our hands..... =)

Hmmm.. yeah, i think so.. i believe our Gods can live through our worshipers... it's very well possible.

Hmmmm There's way too many truths in the universe... 3nodding Depends on if your willing to accept it.. or not...  

Breakfast Sex

Romantic Lunatic

10,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100

Reik8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:21 am
I got into the Occult more or less by coincidence.
I didn't have any acquaintances or friends who were interested in it and therefore didn't know anything about it. Only my dad told me something about ghosts, but it was more a joke in my point of view.

Two years ago I started to experience weird things but I prefered to ignore them and to talk myself into thinking that everything can be explained logically.
Well... later on I couldn't explain it logically anymore and I came into this group to find out what was going on. I somehow managed to draw my best friend into it by accident sweatdrop

It was a ghost who drew me into the Occult and I learned that I don't have to be afraid of him. I'm still studying to improve my knowledge and to communicate easier with him.
Well, that's my story 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:01 pm
Reik8

Do you mind sharing your experience with the entity?

Beelzebunz

Tipsy Poster

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Reik8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:49 am
Reik8

Do you mind sharing your experience with the entity?

I hope that I don't misunderstand your question sweatdrop

Well, it started that things were moving on their own.
And then, there were this dreams. He sends me dreams and I know his whole past, what had happened to him and who he was, where he lived etc.
It was really disturbing and after the first dream I constantly had the feeling that I know him. I saw him once somewhere, but I don't remember...
Sometimes I can hear him, but he's only getting into contact with me when nobody else is in the house or in my room.
Mostly I hear his steps, sometimes his voice.

A pretty strange moment was, when I was scared because of something I don't really remember anymore.
He put a hand on my shoulder, I felt every single finger, it was warm and reassuring. And suddenly I wasn't scared anymore.

This is some part of my experience with him.
I hope I understood your question in the right way XD  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces