Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply All In the Golden Afternoon
Alice in Wonderland Costumes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:17 pm
Well as we all know, there was a Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland not too long ago. Well now apparently this website Totallycostumes.com has a wide range of Alice in wonderland costumes.
Totally Costumes website

So here's my question to you.. would you all buy an Alice in Wonderland costume for Halloween, or would you make yours?

and secondly, what's your opinon on the sexy alice costumes? do you think they ruin the Alice in Wonderland series with the way they're portraying alice?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:08 pm
Well, I have actually done both of those, and am planning to do it again this year. I bought my Alice costume when I didn't have time, and then I made both my next Alice costume and my first Hatter Costume.

I just bought material yesterday for my Alice Madness Return's Steam Dress costume, and am getting excited about making that for this year.

I don't mind the sexy costumes personally, provided it's just for one person. I know that's a little weird, but it's just kind of how I feel. I'm okay with Alice being sexy, as long as she's a) not the original Alice, because that's creepy and b) if she's not with anyone. Alice in Wonderland pairing bother me. So like, no sexy Alice costuming with a sexy hatter, or a sexy cheshire cat, because that's just kind of wrong to me.  

Cat like thief 182

Versatile Humorist

13,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:47 pm
Cat like thief 182
Well, I have actually done both of those, and am planning to do it again this year. I bought my Alice costume when I didn't have time, and then I made both my next Alice costume and my first Hatter Costume.

I just bought material yesterday for my Alice Madness Return's Steam Dress costume, and am getting excited about making that for this year.

I don't mind the sexy costumes personally, provided it's just for one person. I know that's a little weird, but it's just kind of how I feel. I'm okay with Alice being sexy, as long as she's a) not the original Alice, because that's creepy and b) if she's not with anyone. Alice in Wonderland pairing bother me. So like, no sexy Alice costuming with a sexy hatter, or a sexy cheshire cat, because that's just kind of wrong to me.

Neat,was it hard to make your own outfit? Because I want to dress as alice but since I really don't want to get a wig I am considering gong as American Mcgee's alice who has the same haircolor as I do.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:51 pm
Kahlan_BrightBlade
Cat like thief 182

Neat,was it hard to make your own outfit? Because I want to dress as alice but since I really don't want to get a wig I am considering gong as American Mcgee's alice who has the same haircolor as I do.

It was. I don't sew particularly well though, so that was my problem. The first year I went as American McGee's Alice, we had the same color, and then went I went just as regular Alice I bleached my hair. I had blue hair for the hatter outfit, (which was earlier this year) and am planning on going back to black hair for my second American McGee cosplay. The only thing is my hair comes down past my butt, and I'm nervous to cut that much off.... *sighs*  

Cat like thief 182

Versatile Humorist

13,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:30 pm
Ah well it sounds like you've had a lot of great Alice in wonderland costumes. Well what about wearing a wig? that way you could keep your hair but have the hairstyle you need for the costume?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:29 pm
Ah... I love Halloween. emotion_bigheart

*back to topic*

Hmmm... I usually make my costumes, because I'm really, really cheap. ^_^; But I also occasionally buy my costume because I run out of time or something. I don't really have a preference, I suppose. ^_^;;;;

As for sexy costumes, I'm less concerned with them ruining the image than with my having to see cellulite or how braless that trick-or-treater is. That being said, some of the 'sexy' costumes are cute... I bought one once that I modified to make it a little less 'sexy', and had no problem with it afterwards. Then again, I'm not usually annoyed or worried about different interpretations ruining the image of AiW in the first place, haha. ^_^

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 pm
Lady March Hare
Ah... I love Halloween. emotion_bigheart

*back to topic*

Hmmm... I usually make my costumes, because I'm really, really cheap. ^_^; But I also occasionally buy my costume because I run out of time or something. I don't really have a preference, I suppose. ^_^;;;;

As for sexy costumes, I'm less concerned with them ruining the image than with my having to see cellulite or how braless that trick-or-treater is. That being said, some of the 'sexy' costumes are cute... I bought one once that I modified to make it a little less 'sexy', and had no problem with it afterwards. Then again, I'm not usually annoyed or worried about different interpretations ruining the image of AiW in the first place, haha. ^_^

I think making a costume sounds like fun, even if it is hard work. Not just because you're cheap, but because you can do better than what the store offers.

Eh yeah seeing stuff like that really is not good.. and I suppose you can modify them so they're not as bad .  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:10 pm
Kahlan_BrightBlade
I think making a costume sounds like fun, even if it is hard work. Not just because you're cheap, but because you can do better than what the store offers.

Eh yeah seeing stuff like that really is not good.. and I suppose you can modify them so they're not as bad .

It is every time I do it. If I weren't so slow with, I'd do it all the time, lol. ^_^; ....the fact that I'm cheap is just icing on the cake. XD

Yeah, modifying them is actually a lot of fun. When I modified my costume, I just found a lacey sort of fabric that matched some of the trimming on the dress and made a few extra skirt layers. Fixed!

...with some of those costumes in your like, though, there would be a loooot of modifying to do. XD

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

The Night Faery
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:26 am
Buy bloomers! =D They will de-scandalize anything. bwahah  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:32 am
Quote:
size=11]It is every time I do it. If I weren't so slow with, I'd do it all the time, lol. ^_^; ....the fact that I'm cheap is just icing on the cake. XD

Yeah, modifying them is actually a lot of fun. When I modified my costume, I just found a lacey sort of fabric that matched some of the trimming on the dress and made a few extra skirt layers. Fixed!

...with some of those costumes in your like though, there would be a loooot of modifying to do. XD

hm maybe I will do that with a dress I have that kinda reminds me of a dress the queen of hearts would wear. I could probably modify it into a nice new dress that looks like one from the TIm burton movie..  

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Wickefisto

Shameless Pyromaniac

14,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:38 pm
I'm working on putting together an Alice in Wonderland costume. I think the sexy Alice costumes are great, maybe because I'm an adult and I see it as a flirty fun yet literate costume choice. BUT that is definitely not my style. I'm going slightly Lady Gaga with mine, I found a wig at Value Village that is long and blonde but with light blue undertones and a light blue bow. I'm going to try and rip the bow off, put on a black headband with maybe a pumpkin or bat or just a black bow on my head. I may buy the normal Alice dress and sew on a white fabric to the bottom or buy a better costume from a costume shop, like a Betty Rebble (Flinstones) costume and adjust it/add a white apron; also need white stockings, I'm not sure if it matters I use brown or black strap shoes since it is dark anyway. Basic makeup, light face light pink lipstick and false thick black lashes but will likely go more harsh with the makeup and doll my eyes up like Gaga's, haven't decided yet.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:51 pm
Wickefisto
I'm working on putting together an Alice in Wonderland costume. I think the sexy Alice costumes are great, maybe because I'm an adult and I see it as a flirty fun yet literate costume choice. BUT that is definitely not my style. I'm going slightly Lady Gaga with mine, I found a wig at Value Village that is long and blonde but with light blue undertones and a light blue bow. I'm going to try and rip the bow off, put on a black headband with maybe a pumpkin or bat or just a black bow on my head. I may buy the normal Alice dress and sew on a white fabric to the bottom or buy a better costume from a costume shop, like a Betty Rebble (Flinstones) costume and adjust it/add a white apron; also need white stockings, I'm not sure if it matters I use brown or black strap shoes since it is dark anyway. Basic makeup, light face light pink lipstick and false thick black lashes but will likely go more harsh with the makeup and doll my eyes up like Gaga's, haven't decided yet.

Sounds like you have an interesting costume going on there.  

Kahlan_BrightBlade
Crew

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:15 pm
The Night Faery
Buy bloomers! =D They will de-scandalize anything. bwahah

The mention of bloomers always sends me back to my cheerleading days... *rocks in the corner* @____@ But otherwise, a perfectly logical alternative!

Kahlan_BrightBlade
hm maybe I will do that with a dress I have that kinda reminds me of a dress the queen of hearts would wear. I could probably modify it into a nice new dress that looks like one from the TIm burton movie..

Ooooh... that sounds like it could be cool!! o3o

Wickefisto

Oh, sounds like an interesting take on it! You should take pictures when you get it all together and show off your Alice-interpreting skills! ^_^  
All In the Golden Afternoon

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games